Hifiman he-400i Impressions and Discussion
Jan 1, 2017 at 2:32 AM Post #10,711 of 14,386
Hey everyone, long time no see :)

I recieved the ZMF Omni Pads this week and installed them yesterday with the rings harvested from the Velour Pads i also ordered.

Cant say a lot after only one hour listening, but i really like what they so to the bass :)
A lot more Impact and quite a bit more bass overall.
Also i have the Feeling that the stage got a bit bigger, maybe due to the increased distance.

Glad you like the ZMF Omni pads (or I guess they're now called the Ori pads).  I've put them on my own 400i too, and like you I like what it did to the bass and the soundstage. 
biggrin.gif

Jan 1, 2017 at 9:08 AM Post #10,712 of 14,386
  After having spent most of 2016 with HD650's, I'm really loving the 400i. They sound much more spacious and energetic then the HD650. I really love the relaxing sound signature of the HD650's, but it's nice to experience a more spacious and brighter sound after so long. I love the clarity in the highs and detail in the lows of the he400i, though it does sound a little bass shy to me. It's not lacking bass, and is surprisingly neutral sounding, but I always prefer my music on the warmer side. I love the results of this small boost to the low end on foobars graphic equalizer:

The HE-400i isn't really all that neutral, it has a midbass tuning but is also is quite bright. That gives a false impression of detail sometimes, until you've dialled your brain in.

Given that HE-400i has a midbass hump, and rolls off in the lows, maybe just try firming up the low lows below 100Hz a bit instead. There are some treble spikes that could be usefully tamed too- just trying to remember where.

Edit:

I had to randomly google for measurements, as I don't have mine to measure any more, but try knocking a bit off at 8kHz and maybe even a gentle cut around 2.5kHz, see how that sounds. Less is more, make small adjustments and listen for longer than you think you need to, see how you go.

Also, I think the "Venus Audio" cables on ebay are supposed to be pretty good value, according to most people who've tried them- and they seem to use decent materials. Disclaimer, not tried them myself, my HFM cables are from Forza, but I'd certainly have chanced the Venus ones if I were in the US.

Jan 1, 2017 at 9:18 AM Post #10,713 of 14,386
This is my EQ settings for the HE400i.

Jan 1, 2017 at 9:38 AM Post #10,715 of 14,386
A bit aggressive on the EQ there, don't ya think? HE-400i isn't THAT bright
wink.gif

Ahh I have tried many EQ and this one sounds better to me retaining all the clarity by avoiding the peaks.

Jan 1, 2017 at 9:55 AM Post #10,717 of 14,386
Actually I reached till -8 -4 after gradually decreasing like -1, -2, -3 from 0. I stopped at -8 and -4 as it sound better to my ears.

My source is Centrance DACPort LX > Matrix M-Stage HPA-1 > HE400i.

I would try with ifi iusb and imercury and gemini dual headed gemini cable too, will see the result and update here within a day or two. I have these but did not tried it yet.

Jan 1, 2017 at 12:01 PM Post #10,720 of 14,386
  Is that a global equalizer for Windows? If so, what's the name for that equalizer?

No. Its a graphic equalizer for Foobar2000. I manually did that for my preferences.

Jan 1, 2017 at 12:30 PM Post #10,721 of 14,386

The HE-400i isn't really all that neutral, it has a midbass tuning but is also is quite bright. That gives a false impression of detail sometimes, until you've dialled your brain in.

Given that HE-400i has a midbass hump, and rolls off in the lows, maybe just try firming up the low lows below 100Hz a bit instead. There are some treble spikes that could be usefully tamed too- just trying to remember where.

Edit:

I had to randomly google for measurements, as I don't have mine to measure any more, but try knocking a bit off at 8kHz and maybe even a gentle cut around 2.5kHz, see how that sounds. Less is more, make small adjustments and listen for longer than you think you need to, see how you go.

Also, I think the "Venus Audio" cables on ebay are supposed to be pretty good value, according to most people who've tried them- and they seem to use decent materials. Disclaimer, not tried them myself, my HFM cables are from Forza, but I'd certainly have chanced the Venus ones if I were in the US.

I think I'll leave the bass where it is for now as I'm really enjoying how these sound with my current tweaks. I will give the treble ranges a bit of adjustment based on your suggestions though and see how that goes. 

Thanks for the suggestion on the Venus cables! Will definitely consider.

Jan 1, 2017 at 1:18 PM Post #10,722 of 14,386
I got this for my EQ

The bass boost is way at the low end so it is really subtle unless there is a fair bit going on down there. Bout a 3db notch at 8k.

I also ordered this cable: http://www.ebay.ca/itm/161743404378. Haven't got it yet, so I have no idea if its any good. It only cost $25 (same ones on Amazon are $50 CAD) so I won't be too pissed if its crap

Jan 1, 2017 at 1:46 PM Post #10,723 of 14,386
Trev, your EQ is close to where mine is. I use APO/PeaceGUI since I do gaming etc on my PC as well. As far as cables go, you could always build your own.. the quality difference is great and it's not too bad on the bank.

As you may guess I've got a HE-560 on the way:)
I'll be making a new mobile cable for my 400i though as I plan on keeping it. Electric blue, oh yeah!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back