Hifiman he-400i Impressions and Discussion
Dec 29, 2016 at 5:28 PM Post #10,666 of 14,386
I recently simply removed the dust covers on my 400i, and I just put them back in out of paranoia. Luckily I peeled them off so carefully that the rings cover any imperfections.

I did notice a slight soundstage reveal without the covers though, is there a few top choice materials that I should use as dust covers instead of the original ones that could retain some of that more spacious sound?

Dec 29, 2016 at 7:33 PM Post #10,667 of 14,386
I recently simply removed the dust covers on my 400i, and I just put them back in out of paranoia. Luckily I peeled them off so carefully that the rings cover any imperfections.

I did notice a slight soundstage reveal without the covers though, is there a few top choice materials that I should use as dust covers instead of the original ones that could retain some of that more spacious sound?

I've been using silk organza and another poster has also used it but doubled it up to change the tone a bit

Dec 29, 2016 at 7:40 PM Post #10,668 of 14,386
I've been using silk organza and another poster has also used it but doubled it up to change the tone a bit

Ah okay, I looked this up and either a blue or black would be ideal. Just wondering as well, is organza all the same thickness? Also, how would you say it change the sound, including with doubling it up? Thanks man

Dec 29, 2016 at 7:50 PM Post #10,669 of 14,386
Ah okay, I looked this up and either a blue or black would be ideal. Just wondering as well, is organza all the same thickness? Also, how would you say it change the sound, including with doubling it up? Thanks man

As far as I know all organza is very close to the same thickness but I could be wrong since I don't have the means to do any actual thickness measurements on the ones that I have.  The micrometer I have is only accurate to .025mm and if I take a few reading it varies between .05 and .09mm.

I haven't done the double up but I would think it does change the sound of the mids and highs very slightly a touch more forward would be my guess.

I posted pictures of my grills here so you can see them in them in the "Recent Images in the Thread" link on the right side of this page.

Dec 29, 2016 at 7:59 PM Post #10,670 of 14,386
As far as I know all organza is very close to the same thickness but I could be wrong since I don't have the means to do any actual thickness measurements on the ones that I have.  The micrometer I have is only accurate to .025mm and if I take a few reading it varies between .05 and .09mm.

I haven't done the double up but I would think it does change the sound of the mids and highs very slightly a touch more forward would be my guess.

I posted pictures of my grills here so you can see them in them in the "Recent Images in the Thread" link on the right side of this page.

Great, thanks a lot of the Intel. Last piece of info I'm after, have you just placed the organza on the other side? I'm using the 400i now with the default fabric simply placed behind and not glued.

Dec 29, 2016 at 8:03 PM Post #10,671 of 14,386

Quote:
Great, thanks a lot of the Intel. Last piece of info I'm after, have you just placed the organza on the other side? I'm using the 400i now with the default fabric simply placed behind and not glued.

I used a spray on adhesive to mount the organza to my grills since the organza will fray quite easily and just trimmed of the excess, below is a grill I made for another head-fi member:

Below is my old grill for HE-400

Dec 29, 2016 at 10:08 PM Post #10,672 of 14,386
HAHAHA just got these in from Amazon, running them on my Magni/Modi stack.  They sound RIDICULOUS with power metal!! Lovin' it! 
basshead.gif

I usually listen to electronic (EDM/trance/progressive), but I could listen to metal only on these bad boys and be gooooooood 
beerchug.gif

Not that they sound bad for other genres, but dat metal.

Dec 30, 2016 at 8:59 AM Post #10,675 of 14,386
So which amp+DAC is best pairing with he400i?

Just a suggestion but if you'd like the best help it's better to be more specific in what you're looking for since "best" is extremely subjective and doesn't exist in real life.

So are you looking for desktop or portable, one box solution or separates, tube or solid state, balanced or single ended etc etc?

It's also important to know your budget....

Dec 30, 2016 at 9:47 AM Post #10,677 of 14,386
@DavidA oh sorry will do that ...
@peter123
I'm a beginner ... Just got my first pair (598 Cs) n no amp or DAC, using just my MBP 2015 n iphone 6s ...
Wanted a good openback so got a recommendation of he400i
So joined this forum to get some good advice which could work for me.
Budget is quite limited ... I first started to look at $100 options like FIIO K5, E10k or anything else which is available on Amazon (that's my limitation, can't buy from another place, no shipping options to my country)
But now I think $200 should be my budget or a little bit more than that. Would prefer any option desktop or portable which serves the purpose ...
If desktop then single box would be better rest I have no experience of solid-state or tubes ... Like I said ... Totally new guy :)
In future I might add DT 990 pro (250ohms)

Type of music: Rock metal
Most of my music collection is 16bit 44hz FLAC or mp3s but now I'm getting better quality files

Sent from WestWorld 2.0

Dec 30, 2016 at 9:51 AM Post #10,678 of 14,386
Dec 30, 2016 at 10:11 AM Post #10,679 of 14,386
@DavidA oh sorry will do that ...
@peter123
I'm a beginner ... Just got my first pair (598 Cs) n no amp or DAC, using just my MBP 2015 n iphone 6s ...
Wanted a good openback so got a recommendation of he400i
So joined this forum to get some good advice which could work for me.
Budget is quite limited ... I first started to look at $100 options like FIIO K5, E10k or anything else which is available on Amazon (that's my limitation, can't buy from another place, no shipping options to my country)
But now I think $200 should be my budget or a little bit more than that. Would prefer any option desktop or portable which serves the purpose ...
If desktop then single box would be better rest I have no experience of solid-state or tubes ... Like I said ... Totally new guy
smily_headphones1.gif

In future I might add DT 990 pro (250ohms)

Type of music: Rock metal
Most of my music collection is 16bit 44hz FLAC or mp3s but now I'm getting better quality files

Sent from WestWorld 2.0

I suggest getting the HE-400i first and listening to them for a month or two so you get a good idea of the sonic deficiencies that you feel need to be addressed.  During this period you might be able to save a little more or even find out that you don't need an DAC/amp.  And since you are looking at the DT-990 the choice of amp to be used between both is a little harder with a budget of $200.

Dec 30, 2016 at 2:59 PM Post #10,680 of 14,386
@DavidA can u elaborate more?
Why harder?
DT990 will be harder to drive? My friend is using FIIO E10K with them n he is quite satisfied with them so I thought an amp like Magni 2 or FIIO K5 paired with either Modi 2 or Sanskrit dac won't work for both?
Like I said I can stretch my budget more if I get a good amp first which can push both n later add a good DAC later ...
If I do this then what will be my options?

Sent from WestWorld 2.0

Users who are viewing this thread

Back