Hifiman he-400i Impressions and Discussion
Dec 28, 2016 at 5:29 AM Post #10,651 of 14,386
If you're an electronic music listener primarily, and if you still listen to other genres, you must get the EMU/Fostex X00. I'd vouch for EMU. For electro listeners, I can't help but declare this the endgame. I don't see a challenger in a distance, and then there's no dire amping requirements either, so that's also a major thing going for it which may just make so many other options simply irrelevant. $500 + $200 maybe to reach the top of the mountain - that's a pretty cheap deal in this audiophile world of ever-spending.

if we're talking electronic/bass endgame that's still great with other genres, the EMU/Fostex doesn't hold a candle to the Abyss.  Now granted, with the Abyss, you're looking at needing to drop $10,000 for it + amp + DAC.  But you mentioned "end game" which around here means no compromise regardless of price.  But yeah, the Abyss's bass in quality, just utterly destroys the EMU/Fostex, while having just as much quantity.  So, yeah, "top of the mountain" is a stretch, and I say that as somebody who loves those headphones.

side note, I'm currently having a knock down drag out argument with somebody on massdrop who thinks that the Audio Technica ESW9a and the Thinksound On2 are better than the EMU Teak.  They admit they have never heard the EMU Teak.  But somehow they are conclusively saying the EMU Teak is lo-fi compared to the ESW9a.  I own the ESW9a, and quite simply, it's more or less garbage.

Hahaha yeah i guess i may have gone a bit over the edge. So maybe uptill the $800 range? Maybe a bit more even as those cans also need a good amp yet the fostex variants can easily live off some cheaper amps... yeah i didnt count the abyss in... ignore those exaggerations. Abyss is pretty far fetched and niche stuff. We're already talking about the Orpheus too then at those prices where money is no holds barred... anyhow... no disagreements.

Dec 28, 2016 at 6:12 AM Post #10,652 of 14,386
Comments on LCD-X bass vs. the EMU wooden, as you've heard both? :p

I'd like to be more helpful here, but I never had them at the same time for a detailed comparison. I remember them both as having great bass, but can't tell you much more than that.

Dec 28, 2016 at 7:02 AM Post #10,653 of 14,386
I'd like to be more helpful here, but I never had them at the same time for a detailed comparison. I remember them both as having great bass, but can't tell you much more than that.

Yeah, and it's OT as well. Still on the hunt for more or less closed cans for the office, LCD-XC going a wee bit over the top, and as E-MU actually listened, and created the removable cable version, it's a strong, and probably the best candidate.

Dec 28, 2016 at 7:12 AM Post #10,654 of 14,386

Yeah, and it's OT as well. Still on the hunt for more or less closed cans for the office, LCD-XC going a wee bit over the top, and as E-MU actually listened, and created the removable cable version, it's a strong, and probably the best candidate.

if you want something closer to the HE-400i then the Ether C might be something to consider but with them you know you are using a closed headphone unlike the TH-X00/600/900 which are closer to open back and also leak too much sound for some situations.

Dec 28, 2016 at 9:52 AM Post #10,655 of 14,386
@drwlf You cavil, sir.

Dec 28, 2016 at 1:55 PM Post #10,656 of 14,386
@drwlf You cavil, sir.

It's my middle name! No, wait..

if you want something closer to the HE-400i then the Ether C might be something to consider but with them you know you are using a closed headphone unlike the TH-X00/600/900 which are closer to open back and also leak too much sound for some situations.

I should probably read up on the Flows, the descriptions of brightness/bass-shyness of the previous iteration really didn't make me enthusiastic, nor did the new "electrostatic-like" marketing pitch. Lots to read tho, as actually hearing them here is not really an option.

TBH, I'm not overtly fond of extremely closed cans, they just make me feel a bit claustrophobic, somehow the whole experience distracts me. If some sound pushes through, (or the cans have the ability to do that, not like anybody would enjoy loud environments per se) I'm happier. And I really can't imagine the leakage though with the Fostexes, can it actually be that bad, since it's pretty often mentioned. Good enough for a "normal" open office, where some leakage is OK? Open offices are crap btw.
Of the whole Foster variants, it's been a pondering with the AH-D7000 and the TH900, but former requiring recabling, and the latter, the treble, meh. E-MU seems like what I might be after, at least on paper. The new 610 doesn't seem to have too much of a fanbase, the upcoming 7200 is a big question mark, and try to comb through useful information about the new Sony through all the noise. It wouldn't surprise me if somebody would magically pop up here to try to sell them on me.

And this actually isn't OT, it's a continuation of http://www.head-fi.org/t/698974/hifiman-he-400i-impressions-and-discussion/9705#post_12868933 :p Noticed it as I crawled through some of my older posts. @DavidA, notice the comment "Your comments seriously make me wonder about the LCD-X!" So, you sold me subconsciously on the LCD-X, and @fjrabon made me get the 400i in the first place. With the m9XX. Great. Whats next?

Dec 28, 2016 at 2:08 PM Post #10,657 of 14,386
I've got the HE-400I and the micro iDSD BL but I don't like this pairing (way too bright, sibilant, harsh ..); However I've tested them on a heed canamp while the iDSD was used as a DAC and it really corrected this problem I have with the HE-400i. So now, I think it's time to get a proper amp for the HE-400i to calm them down a bit. What about the Lyr 2? thanks

Dec 28, 2016 at 3:17 PM Post #10,658 of 14,386
I've got the HE-400I and the micro iDSD BL but I don't like this pairing (way too bright, sibilant, harsh ..); However I've tested them on a heed canamp while the iDSD was used as a DAC and it really corrected this problem I have with the HE-400i. So now, I think it's time to get a proper amp for the HE-400i to calm them down a bit. What about the Lyr 2? thanks

Weird, I loved the 400i with the iDSD silver. With Jotunheim they are amazing after a slight EQ down on treble. Schiit amps are pretty bright less the Asgard 2.

Dec 28, 2016 at 3:19 PM Post #10,659 of 14,386

Lyr2 with stock tubes is a pretty bright amp. If brightness is your problem, in general, Schitt amps won't help there. The Schitt philosophy is basically relaxed DAC + bright amp. That's a little oversimplified, but it's the basic gist. Though there are some replacement tubes for the Lyr2 and Vali2 that mellow out the sound. Also, if this is just for the HE400i, there's absolutely no reason to get the Lyr2 instead of the Vali2. The Lyr2 is a great amp, but you simply don't need it for the HE400i, the Vali2 is plenty powerful enough and that's the primary difference. The Lyr2 is more or less just a more powerful Vali2.

Dec 28, 2016 at 3:26 PM Post #10,660 of 14,386
Lyr2 with stock tubes is a pretty bright amp. If brightness is your problem, in general, Schitt amps won't help there. The Schitt philosophy is basically relaxed DAC + bright amp. That's a little oversimplified, but it's the basic gist. Though there are some replacement tubes for the Lyr2 and Vali2 that mellow out the sound. Also, if this is just for the HE400i, there's absolutely no reason to get the Lyr2 instead of the Vali2. The Lyr2 is a great amp, but you simply don't need it for the HE400i, the Vali2 is plenty powerful enough and that's the primary difference. The Lyr2 is more or less just a more powerful Vali2.

I'm only going to use it with HE-400i (maybe I'll swap them with the HE-560 in the future but it's not in the program right now). So yes, I need something less bright to calm them down. 

Dec 28, 2016 at 3:36 PM Post #10,661 of 14,386
I'm only going to use it with HE-400i (maybe I'll swap them with the HE-560 in the future but it's not in the program right now). So yes, I need something less bright to calm them down. 

Probably the little dot 1+ with mullards is your best bet there.

Dec 28, 2016 at 4:16 PM Post #10,662 of 14,386
Probably the little dot 1+ with mullards is your best bet there.

Maybe something more expensive/futur proof around 400-500€. Actually I've also tested them on the mojo and I thought it was garbage (i'm going to get a lot of hate for this one..:p ). Initially I thought the HE-400i wasn't my thing (had HE-500 + Lyr 1 and expensive tubes) but after testing on a better amp I really liked them so much more. I ordered a pair of HM5 pads to see how this play (i've read it might helps with my problem). Also tried the HD-650 but didn't like it on the idsd BL either

Dec 28, 2016 at 4:24 PM Post #10,663 of 14,386
Weird, I loved the 400i with the iDSD silver. With Jotunheim they are amazing after a slight EQ down on treble. Schiit amps are pretty bright less the Asgard 2.

Fwiw I got a pair of Nuforce HA-200's today and while I've only tried it with a couple of Dac's and only in single ended mode yet I'm pretty sure these are going to be the new best friend(s) for the HE400i. I'll share more impressions on the pairing when I get some more time with them but it's definitely worth checking out.

Edit: I'm sorry but I realised now that I've quoted the wrong post. The quote should have been from vl4dimir

Dec 28, 2016 at 4:32 PM Post #10,664 of 14,386

+1

Dec 28, 2016 at 6:27 PM Post #10,665 of 14,386

If you are thinking of moving to the HE-560 you might want to go with the Lyr2 and change the tubes, many find that the Lyr2 is not very efficient.  Agree with @fjrabon that Schiit amps tend to be slightly on the bright side of neutral so tube selection needs to be considered

Maybe something more expensive/futur proof around 400-500€. Actually I've also tested them on the mojo and I thought it was garbage (i'm going to get a lot of hate for this one..:p ). Initially I thought the HE-400i wasn't my thing (had HE-500 + Lyr 1 and expensive tubes) but after testing on a better amp I really liked them so much more. I ordered a pair of HM5 pads to see how this play (i've read it might helps with my problem). Also tried the HD-650 but didn't like it on the idsd BL either

Agree with you on the Mojo, funny how the Hugo does so much better while having the same specs.  But the DAC section of the Mojo is quite good IMO.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back