Hifiman he-400i Impressions and Discussion
Dec 6, 2016 at 9:16 AM Post #10,246 of 14,386
What headphones use the same 2.5mm connectors as the (upgraded) HE 400i? Do the 560, Edition X, and 1000 V2 use the 2.5mm? Interested in other brands also, I think Oppo PM 1/2 also use the same connectors?

Quote:
  I'm wondering what would be the best computer dac/amp under $100 to pair with the HE-400i?

Give the Micca Origen+ a look. Big and heavy compared to E10K or Dragonfly, and driver install is a bit wonky, but it's got some terrific advantages: 1/4" as well as 3.5mm jack; optical in and 3.5mm line out; gain switch on front; toggle to switch between headphones and line out; biggish volume pot on top. These advantages make it wonderfully convenient to use. I got mine open box for $44.

The Dragonfly products are great, especially the red at 2x your budget, but think hard about whether you want a dac/amp without volume adjust. Me, that's a deal breaker. E10K is fine and I love the size, but I do not love the tiny volume wheel and the 1/8" jack.

Dec 6, 2016 at 10:39 AM Post #10,247 of 14,386
I'm wondering what would be the best computer dac/amp under $100 to pair with the HE-400i?

A few options comes to mind.
Zorloo Zuperdac: sounds great with the HE400i with it's smooth and slightly warm signature. Not great with phone due to battery drain.

SHOZY Lancea: sounds very similar to the Zuperdac but even smaller and much better with phones if that's desired. Great with phones both when it comes to compatibility and power drain. Was much more expensive or if.

HifiMe 9018: Great unit that sounds very good with the HE400i. A bit plastic fantastic but on par with the original Greek Out siblings in sq. Not great with phones due to battery drain.

Centrance DACport Slim: my personal favorite sub $100 dac/amp. Most neutral sounding of my suggestions. A bit analog sound. Has physical volume control. Not great with phones due to battery drain.

Edit: For the greatest flexibility and to pair specifically with the HE-400i my top pick would probably be the Lancea.

Dec 6, 2016 at 10:52 AM Post #10,248 of 14,386

I have a portable rig with an old iphone 4s and line out that I sometime use around the house. I have an Fiio e11 currently, but not sure if that's gonna power the 400i enough so something with a battery could supplant that. I do have an iphone 6, so I guess the DF would allow me to completely ditch my 4s rig. Didn't really think of that.

yeah, before the DFR I just never really used portable rigs.  They were always too bulky and/or required charging a battery, so after a few weeks, I'd gradually just start playing my cans straight out of the iPhone again for portable use.  DFR solved all that.  It's completely out of the way, and I barely notice the added bulk.  It seems like it's just part of the cable.

Dec 6, 2016 at 11:33 AM Post #10,249 of 14,386

yeah, before the DFR I just never really used portable rigs.  They were always too bulky and/or required charging a battery, so after a few weeks, I'd gradually just start playing my cans straight out of the iPhone again for portable use.  DFR solved all that.  It's completely out of the way, and I barely notice the added bulk.  It seems like it's just part of the cable.

+1 for the DragonFly Red.  And the Red is a good match with the 400i.

Dec 6, 2016 at 12:43 PM Post #10,250 of 14,386
Soo

I have done some measurements !

And as i already heared the 400i somehow have las

s bass than the 400s even with the stock pads.

I have also included a friends fresh out of the box 668B for reference because this reading is quite similar to the one at innerfidelity.

even with the stock pads the 400s has more bass extension the the 400i.
The HM5 pad was taped on because i still have not received my mounting rings.

Dec 6, 2016 at 2:24 PM Post #10,251 of 14,386
  Soo

I have done some measurements !

And as i already heared the 400i somehow have las

s bass than the 400s even with the stock pads.

I have also included a friends fresh out of the box 668B for reference because this reading is quite similar to the one at innerfidelity.

even with the stock pads the 400s has more bass extension the the 400i.
The HM5 pad was taped on because i still have not received my mounting rings.

I would say something has to be wrong with the seal you are getting with the focus pads on the 400i.  

Dec 6, 2016 at 3:31 PM Post #10,252 of 14,386
  I would say something has to be wrong with the seal you are getting with the focus pads on the 400i.  

I don't think so because i measured a lot of positions and merged it. the differences where small.
The headphone rests on a flat surface when i measure so the seal should be given..

Also strange that the 400s has more bass regardless of the pad.

Dec 6, 2016 at 3:35 PM Post #10,253 of 14,386
  I don't think so because i measured a lot of positions and merged it. the differences where small.
The headphone rests on a flat surface when i measure so the seal should be given..

Also strange that the 400s has more bass regardless of the pad.

yeah, don't know quite what to tell you.  something is definitely wrong here.

Dec 6, 2016 at 3:57 PM Post #10,254 of 14,386

yeah, don't know quite what to tell you.  something is definitely wrong here.

should i return them? or is the possibility higher that the error is on my site? 
I can only test it on the dac from my pc (asus z170 pro gaming) advertised as capable to drive 300 ohm headphones but struggles to play the 400i at adequate volume. 
And htc one m8. both have the same issue and the m8 hat a quite good dac/amp... 

My new dac/amp combo will be available end of December but i highly doubt that will magically fix the issue. 

Dec 6, 2016 at 4:10 PM Post #10,255 of 14,386
But your amp isn't using that extra power unless you have the volume turned up. An amp doesn't lack power unless it's running out of head room and clipping. Now amps sometimes misbehave at the upper end of their power range, sure, but "power" is what makes the headphone louder.
My he biggest problem the fulla has is that it's totally dependent on how clean the USB is, as it has no mechanism for dealing with unclean USB power and it has no process for reducing jitter. It can also clip if you play your music extremely loud. It's pro is that it will drastically lower the output impedance from what the onboard sound is on most PCs. And the DAC is pretty decent.

I'm still contemplating whether or not I need a DAC/Amp for my 400i.  Like I've mentioned in a previous post, I too listen at about 75% volume on my laptop.  Based on your attached quote, if I don't hear any noise (or distortion, I'm not really sure what I'm trying to hear), and I only listen at 75%, then there is no need for a DAC/Amp for the 400i, correct?

Dec 6, 2016 at 4:11 PM Post #10,256 of 14,386

That is like saying I love my new car apart from the motor.

Well, mids aren't the driving factor of the HE400i you know it.

It isn't. Nothing compared to the silkyness of the mids on the K7XX.

I don't have enough money for a full Magni/Modi stack right now. I also am debating on if I want something portable or not as it'll be with a laptop which I carry around a lot in the house. If I do decide on the stack and were to build up to it, what would be best to get first and have the most impact on sound the Mangi or Modi? 

http://penonaudio.com/xDuoo-XD-05

I bought mine for slightly less than the price of the HE400i on discount... And it's brilliant! Or you can get the Fulla 2 don't expect gobs of power though.

Dec 6, 2016 at 4:44 PM Post #10,257 of 14,386

I'm still contemplating whether or not I need a DAC/Amp for my 400i.  Like I've mentioned in a previous post, I too listen at about 75% volume on my laptop.  Based on your attached quote, if I don't hear any noise (or distortion, I'm not really sure what I'm trying to hear), and I only listen at 75%, then there is no need for a DAC/Amp for the 400i, correct?

well, there is the issue that distortion typically falls into a few ranges:

trace distortion, inaudible distortion, distortion that is experienced as lack of resolution, harshness, "bloom", loss of spatial cues and then flat out clipping/breaking up.  All amps distort the signal to some extent.  It's difficult to know  whether you would experience an increase in sound quality with an amp without just trying a high quality amp.  Now, I don't think you'd need a very powerful amp, but what the HE400i seems to like is an amp that has very low distortion in high order harmonics.  Distortion in high order harmonics tends to sound "brittle" and "harsh".  Your laptop has a DAC.  The issue there is two fold: 1) you could potentially improve on the DAC in your laptop and 2) some laptops benefit from having the DAC away from the noisy internals and heat of the computer.  

I realize that was fairly complicated and didn't even get you an answer, but that's just the way it is.  There is no easy "yes (or no), you do (or don't) need a DAC and amp with the HE400i."  If you're happy with the sound that it's producing, I'd say sit tight.  I usually advise people to never "upgrade" until you are noticing something specific you want to upgrade.  When you've put a decent amount of head hours on the HE400i, you'll inevitably start to notice little things you'd like to improve.  At that point it's much easier to give recommendations for how to improve your chain.  The HE400i sounds perfectly fine out of a good laptop's headphone out.  It doesn't ***NEED*** and amp.  The right amp for your system and preferences and the right DAC for your system and preferences can improve its sound, yes.  But you have to know what you're after and what you want to improve, otherwise you'll just aimlessly throw money at a "problem" you don't even understand.

edit: also, if at all possible, get out to some meets and shows and listen to other people's rigs.  That can help you formulate what it is that you're after.

Dec 6, 2016 at 4:57 PM Post #10,258 of 14,386

Good timing 
wink.gif

http://schiit.com/products/fulla-2 

Dec 6, 2016 at 5:04 PM Post #10,260 of 14,386

well, there is the issue that distortion typically falls into a few ranges:

trace distortion, inaudible distortion, distortion that is experienced as lack of resolution, harshness, "bloom", loss of spatial cues and then flat out clipping/breaking up.  All amps distort the signal to some extent.  It's difficult to know  whether you would experience an increase in sound quality with an amp without just trying a high quality amp.  Now, I don't think you'd need a very powerful amp, but what the HE400i seems to like is an amp that has very low distortion in high order harmonics.  Distortion in high order harmonics tends to sound "brittle" and "harsh".  Your laptop has a DAC.  The issue there is two fold: 1) you could potentially improve on the DAC in your laptop and 2) some laptops benefit from having the DAC away from the noisy internals and heat of the computer.  

I realize that was fairly complicated and didn't even get you an answer, but that's just the way it is.  There is no easy "yes (or no), you do (or don't) need a DAC and amp with the HE400i."  If you're happy with the sound that it's producing, I'd say sit tight.  I usually advise people to never "upgrade" until you are noticing something specific you want to upgrade.  When you've put a decent amount of head hours on the HE400i, you'll inevitably start to notice little things you'd like to improve.  At that point it's much easier to give recommendations for how to improve your chain.  The HE400i sounds perfectly fine out of a good laptop's headphone out.  It doesn't ***NEED*** and amp.  The right amp for your system and preferences and the right DAC for your system and preferences can improve its sound, yes.  But you have to know what you're after and what you want to improve, otherwise you'll just aimlessly throw money at a "problem" you don't even understand.

edit: also, if at all possible, get out to some meets and shows and listen to other people's rigs.  That can help you formulate what it is that you're after.

That is the best answer I've heard about this confusing topic.  It actually helps me quite a bit.  Thank you.  Again!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back