Hifiman he-400i Impressions and Discussion
Nov 29, 2016 at 1:18 AM Post #10,156 of 14,386
Is it worth to spend the money in aftermarket cable? Will there be any noticeable/significant improvement in sound? If yes then I would like to go with only 99.9% OFC cable only. If yes then which 99.99% OFC cable to buy?

Nov 29, 2016 at 2:22 AM Post #10,157 of 14,386
  Is it worth to spend the money in aftermarket cable? Will there be any noticeable/significant improvement in sound? If yes then I would like to go with only 99.9% OFC cable only. If yes then which 99.99% OFC cable to buy?

I just purchased a 5N (99.999% pure copper) OFC cable from ImpactAudioCables (Etsy).  Great communication so far, and they confirmed that their 2.5mm connectors will fit in the slightly recessed connections on the 400i.  They appear to be great quality at a very reasonable price.  I'll find out in a week or two...

Nov 29, 2016 at 3:37 AM Post #10,158 of 14,386

This pad option is really appealing.  Is there a tutorial on how to change pads?  I'm not sure how to attach the aftermarket pads to the mounting ring, and how to remove the mounting ring from the existing hifiman pads.

Basically, see @drwlf's posts about removing the pads (especially the video). The best thing to do is to get a set of Hifiman velour pads, and just remove the mounting rings from those (they're not glued on, the velour pads have a flap that is folded over the rings). Then put the ring inside of the ZMF pads' flap, and then mount onto the headphone like you would with any other Hifiman pad.

Really, watch the videos and drwlf's explanations - they're much better than mine.

A warning though - I actually found the ZMF pads to be a bit challenging to get onto the 400i, mainly because the flap on the underside is so thick that there's not much gap between the flap and the actual hooks on the mounting ring that keep the pads on the headphone cups. (Not sure if I explained that well enough.
frown.gif
)

Nov 29, 2016 at 3:49 AM Post #10,159 of 14,386

I appreciate the feedback.  However, I love the clarity of these headphones without over emphasizing the lows, mids, or highs.  I've connected them through my AVR for movies like Fury Road and Sicario, and they sound fantastic.  Maybe it's because movies typically have more dynamic range in the mastering process (not like the loudness wars of music)?  However, for the 400i, what WILL a dac/amp do if I was listening to music from my MacBook Pro?  Again, I am willing to spend money on the dac/amp I have listed above, I'm just uninformed on what it will add to this headphone since it can supposedly be powered enough by itself.  Again, I know this might be a dumb question, but any feedback is a huge help!

With the HE-400i being fairly easy to drive I haven't noticed any substantial improvements in sound quality when going from my DAP (Fiio X3/X3ii) and my table top setup of Bimby/Lyr2.  For me the HE-400i sounds really good even from the headphone output of my UD-301 DAC which is not very powerful.  This is not the case with other headphones like my HE-560 where there is a easy to notice difference between driving them with my Fiio DAP and a the table top setup.

I agree that movies will have more dynamic range than most current pop but classical, jazz and blues seem to have better mastered stuff with decent dynamic range.

When listening at low volumes to get the same sound signature its often necessary to emphasize the lows and highs because that is the part of the frequency spectrum that we are not as sensitive to, the reason many older audio gear had a loudness button/switch which was used when you wanted to listen at low levels.

Nov 29, 2016 at 3:53 AM Post #10,160 of 14,386

If you can hear a difference then the cables are worth it, for me I heard no difference between high priced boutique cables and standard Mogami or Canare cables for headphones, I would rather use the money saved to get more music or another headphone.

Nov 29, 2016 at 3:54 AM Post #10,161 of 14,386
I've tried both with the HM5 pads and the Alpha pads mounted on the ring but both have too much "spare" on the flaps so it's not possible for me to mount the ring with the replacement pads in place. Has anyone else had the same issue?

Edit:
To this day I have not come across a headphone or IEM that doens't sound better with a cleaner source. It's not all about power but also the quality of the signal. As always YMMV. 

Nov 29, 2016 at 4:23 AM Post #10,162 of 14,386

In reality no
In "audiophile reality" massive differences.

Nov 29, 2016 at 4:29 AM Post #10,163 of 14,386
  I've tried both with the HM5 pads and the Alpha pads mounted on the ring but both have too much "spare" on the flaps so it's not possible for me to mount the ring with the replacement pads in place. Has anyone else had the same issue?

Edit:
To this day I have not come across a headphone or IEM that doens't sound better with a cleaner source. It's not all about power but also the quality of the signal. As always YMMV. 

It's a very snug fit, but more than possible with the beforementioned comments/precautions.

Nov 29, 2016 at 4:34 AM Post #10,164 of 14,386

It's a very snug fit, but more than possible with the beforementioned comments/precautions.

Thanks, I'll try harder 
beerchug.gif

Nov 29, 2016 at 4:40 AM Post #10,166 of 14,386
I think two things are causing the issue with the HE400i straight out of your MacBook: 1) at 80% your MacBook is going to have some distortion. This likely causes you to turn it up, to "power through" and get the clarity you want. This means you're listening at a louder volume than you really want. 2) you're still used to the M50 signature and are pumping the volume to get more apparent bass and highs. The way our ears work is that we are more sensitive to midrange at low and medium volume levels, and become more sensitive to treble and bass at higher levels. So by simply turning the volume up, we almost get an EQ like effect of more treble and bass.

A couple of solutions: 1) yes, an external DAC and amp will lower distortion, allowing you to more clearly hear the details and dynamics you want at lower volumes. As David said, you don't need a power house amp, just something that's clean. Modi Multibit and a magni or Vali 2 would be great. 2) just EQ in a bit more bass and treble. This should allow you to play it at a lower level. Remember to make sure that you're using a high quality EQ, and make sure the signal isn't clipping post EQ.

For example, I keep a specialized setting on my EQ program that's just for low volume listening that has more bass and treble. I can usually listen 10-20 dB lower with that EQ, while getting the same feel of punch, detail and fullness of sound.

Nov 29, 2016 at 4:59 AM Post #10,168 of 14,386
  Update to my bent grills.. 
I reached out to hifiman and they will send me a new pair of grills to replace myself.
Its okay i think but nevertheless i asked for a discount. 

Friendly reminder: the grill/mesh-holder-ring is/can be fragile, take care whilst the replacement procedure, people have managed to snap that as well :p
http://www.head-fi.org/t/619447/hifiman-regrilling-mod

Users who are viewing this thread

Back