Hifiman he-400i Impressions and Discussion
Dec 1, 2016 at 6:17 PM Post #10,186 of 14,386
  The HE400i has measurably more sub bass than the HE400s.  I hesitate to say your unit is messed up without personally being able to control all the other variables, but yes, something, somewhere in the chain is seriously off if you are hearing the HE400s as having more sub bass.

I have compared both at home and you are absolutely right.

Dec 2, 2016 at 12:49 AM Post #10,187 of 14,386

I have both HD650 and HE400i. He400i is faster, with much better bass and treble extension. HD650 sounds congested and muffled in comparation.

Thanks for the opinions! I don't think I'd call the 650 congested, maybe that impression comes through after using a headphone with more aggressive treble though.

I like the laid back sound of the 650 and smooth presentation, it makes for very easy listening. With the HE400i I'm looking for something to compliment them, so a brighter more aggressive sound with a harder hitting bass is perfect.

Dec 2, 2016 at 2:17 AM Post #10,188 of 14,386

Thanks for the opinions! I don't think I'd call the 650 congested, maybe that impression comes through after using a headphone with more aggressive treble though.

I like the laid back sound of the 650 and smooth presentation, it makes for very easy listening. With the HE400i I'm looking for something to compliment them, so a brighter more aggressive sound with a harder hitting bass is perfect.

Then buy Fidelio X2 because HE400i is also laid back and far from aggressive. It's not only that HE400i has more treble extension, is just that HD650 can't kep up with fast paced music, everything sounds slow with them compared to better headphones. 

Dec 2, 2016 at 2:55 AM Post #10,189 of 14,386
Hi, I used to own the HE-500 with forza audioworks noir hybrid HPC + Lyr 1 with dario miniwatt + Modi 1 but I've switched to speakers. However I found the HE-400i at 249$ (black friday) and bought them. Now I need a dac & amp for max 600€. My question, is to know what are the best regarded match for this particular headphones (for my budget) ?
I would prefer something transportable so I can move around the house (like the new ifi micro idsd black label) but if the difference in "quality" with a desktop amp is really "so big" I would be able to live with a desktop rig.

p.S: sorry if I seem lazy but I don't really have the time to go through all the thread right now and it's kind of "urgent". Plus, it doesn't passionate me anymore as it used to 
redface.gif

Dec 2, 2016 at 4:47 AM Post #10,190 of 14,386
Take a look at the Chord Mojo - a highly respected portable dac/amp.
What are you planning as using as a source? Could add a Shanling M1 as a transport if you want something dedicated.

Dec 2, 2016 at 5:10 AM Post #10,191 of 14,386
Take a look at the Chord Mojo - a highly respected portable dac/amp.
What are you planning as using as a source? Could add a Shanling M1 as a transport if you want something dedicated.

Only my macbook (well maybe my phone with OTG if I buy a transportable unit, never tried who knows). An all-in-one solution that I can move around the house with only plugging an usb cable seems pretty appealing to me right now

Dec 2, 2016 at 5:37 AM Post #10,192 of 14,386

Only my macbook (well maybe my phone with OTG if I buy a transportable unit, never tried who knows). An all-in-one solution that I can move around the house with only plugging an usb cable seems pretty appealing to me right now

Sounds like the Mojo will be ideal then.
UK price is £400, which equates to about 475€ based on current exchange rates.
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Chord-Mojo-DAC-Amplifier-Headphone/dp/B0171LBE78/

Dec 2, 2016 at 7:00 AM Post #10,193 of 14,386

Sounds like the Mojo will be ideal then.
UK price is £400, which equates to about 475€ based on current exchange rates.
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Chord-Mojo-DAC-Amplifier-Headphone/dp/B0171LBE78/

Though with the famously noisy Macbook USB, it's going to sound pretty bad- the Mojo is awful at rejecting interference over USB. You'd want a decrapifier that provides a clean USB VBUS with the Mojo in that situation, which makes it all a bit less portable.

Dec 2, 2016 at 7:10 AM Post #10,194 of 14,386
XDUUO 05: No problems with my mac mini 140€

Dec 2, 2016 at 7:11 AM Post #10,195 of 14,386

Though with the famously noisy Macbook USB, it's going to sound pretty bad- the Mojo is awful at rejecting interference over USB. You'd want a decrapifier that provides a clean USB VBUS with the Mojo in that situation, which makes it all a bit less portable.

Well portability, in its traditional meaning,  it's not really an important aspect. I'll use them with He-400i it's not like i'm going to go out with them. When I'm out walking I just plug some iem in my smartphone and that it (I know not the best quality you can get but I don't really care , convenience is more important when out). But being able to go from my desk, to my salon or in bed at night without moving big stuff, power cords and so one could be nice. 
I think the versatility of the ifi micro idsd is what may be the most appropriate ( I can buy the black edition). However in the end the sound quality it's the most important aspect I think

Dec 2, 2016 at 7:16 AM Post #10,196 of 14,386
  Hi, I used to own the HE-500 with forza audioworks noir hybrid HPC + Lyr 1 with dario miniwatt + Modi 1 but I've switched to speakers. However I found the HE-400i at 249$ (black friday) and bought them. Now I need a dac & amp for max 600€. My question, is to know what are the best regarded match for this particular headphones (for my budget) ?
I would prefer something transportable so I can move around the house (like the new ifi micro idsd black label) but if the difference in "quality" with a desktop amp is really "so big" I would be able to live with a desktop rig.

p.S: sorry if I seem lazy but I don't really have the time to go through all the thread right now and it's kind of "urgent". Plus, it doesn't passionate me anymore as it used to 
redface.gif

If you're fine with it I'd suggest you check out the Opus #1 DAP as well. Imo it's on par with the Mojo on sound quality (and for my prefernce better) and with the latest fw it also act like a DAC when connected to a computer. You will also get a balanced output that might come in handy in the future. I've used min a lot balanced with my HE400i and it's a really good match. Just a thought.............

Dec 2, 2016 at 10:23 AM Post #10,198 of 14,386
Finally I don't care too much and I have other things to do so I just bought the new ifi micro iDSD black label and we'll see. Should receive it 6/7.12.2016

Nice, I'm looking forward to hear how you like it and how it pairs up with the HE400i so if you get the chance please share some impressions :)

Dec 2, 2016 at 5:58 PM Post #10,199 of 14,386

Then buy Fidelio X2 because HE400i is also laid back and far from aggressive. It's not only that HE400i has more treble extension, is just that HD650 can't kep up with fast paced music, everything sounds slow with them compared to better headphones. 

No thanks in regards to the Fidelio.

I don't want something super aggressive, I'm good with more treble extension.

Also, I've never had any issue with the 650's keeping up with the music I listen to.

Dec 2, 2016 at 6:01 PM Post #10,200 of 14,386
I have the 400i and regular iDSD. Sounds wonderful for a mobile solution, however it cannot compete with my desktop rig.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back