Hifiman he-400i Impressions and Discussion
Nov 28, 2016 at 9:51 PM Post #10,141 of 14,386
Is there ANY pads that are easy to install with the mounting ring? I bought Brainwavz angled leather's and so far i have failed getting the ring into them, they are oval and not round, i have snapped the ring by bending it and pushing at same time, and still didnt get it in, ive spent 30mins stretching the brainwavz, its impossible, all this frustration because a company cheaps out on one small detail, 400$ headphones shouldnt have this earpad problem.

Now that ive wasted 29$ on these brainwavz, is there any that are easier to install on my 400i's? im starting to think a rounded earpad will make it easier. so frustrated with hifiman right now.

Nov 28, 2016 at 10:22 PM Post #10,143 of 14,386

This pad option is really appealing.  Is there a tutorial on how to change pads?  I'm not sure how to attach the aftermarket pads to the mounting ring, and how to remove the mounting ring from the existing hifiman pads.

Saw a YouTube video on removing and installing the earpads: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=knqDryw8mNw&t=43s

As for removing the pads from the mounting ring itself, you gotta peel the original pads off them as they are glued down onto the rings. After that just slip on the aftermarket pads. The Lawton pads that I ordered were VERY snug, so there was some bending of the mounting ring in order to get the pads onto them.

Nov 28, 2016 at 10:52 PM Post #10,144 of 14,386
I just upgraded to the 400i from the Audio Technica M50s, and wow... everything is so much clearer!  Even when I plug them in to my AVR and play blu-rays... so much clarity!  I've been obsessed with these and have been doing a massive amount of research and I am stuck what to do next.  So, that's where I need some help.  I'm new, but trying and willing to learn.

For listening to music I've been plugging these straight into my laptop.  The sound good, but in order for them to really shine I have to turn up the volume to 90% of what my MacBook Pro is capable of producing.  However, this ends up hurting my ears quite a bit during and after.  I'm not anywhere near 95db, but still, it's painful.  So here is my question:

• If I purchase an external DAC and amplifier, will this give the headphones more punch/life that I'm looking for?  Hifiman, and others, mention they are more than capable to work without an amp.  That's why I haven't purchased one yet, and the reason I'm still hesitating.

• If so, how is this possible?  I'm not tuning up my volume the whole way up, so what "extra" is the external amplifier doing?

• Would the JDS Element, Apogee Groove, or Schiit Magni/Modi 2 stack be the best choice?  Based on my research, it seems like these are good choices for the characteristics of planar hds. 

• Is the Schiit semi-portable?  I work in my living room, at home studio, and kitchen at times.  I wouldn't mind moving it, I just can't tell if it's a huge issue to move.  If so, I guess the other two options might be better.

I know it's a massive amount of questions, I just don't know what to do yet.  I've seen members state that all DACs and amps are the same and any differences are placebo.  So, if I am going to spend chunk of change, I want to make sure the improvements are very obvious.  Thanks.

Nov 28, 2016 at 11:37 PM Post #10,145 of 14,386
Hello everyone,

I am getting a pair soon and have some questions about amp and dac pairings. I currently have the Fiio e11 and Fiio e10 which have worked fine for my previous IEMS and the HE-300 I had. I normally listen either on my computer or through my iphone 6. From what I've read neither of these do a great job with the HE400i. Am I wrong?

I am unfortunately on a low budget ($100) and was wonder how best it is for me to proceed if my above assumption is correct. As I have two main sources, one of them being a laptop, an option is an amp/dac combo. I know both the Fiio E17 and the Audioquest Dragonfly 1.5 fall into my budget and can be used with both a iphone and a computer. Would they do the job? Are there other better options out there in this price range?

Another option is just focus on the laptop which I use mostly (at home) and start off with just a DAC or Amp. Is this viable? If I go this route which is more important? For instance, I could start of with either the Schiit Mangi or Modi and save up for the other later. Are there other options with this route that I'm not thinking of?

Any help is much appreciated!

Nov 28, 2016 at 11:38 PM Post #10,146 of 14,386
  I just upgraded to the 400i from the Audio Technica M50s, and wow... everything is so much clearer!  Even when I plug them in to my AVR and play blu-rays... so much clarity!  I've been obsessed with these and have been doing a massive amount of research and I am stuck what to do next.  So, that's where I need some help.  I'm new, but trying and willing to learn.

For listening to music I've been plugging these straight into my laptop.  The sound good, but in order for them to really shine I have to turn up the volume to 90% of what my MacBook Pro is capable of producing.  However, this ends up hurting my ears quite a bit during and after.  I'm not anywhere near 95db, but still, it's painful.  So here is my question:

• If I purchase an external DAC and amplifier, will this give the headphones more punch/life that I'm looking for?  Hifiman, and others, mention they are more than capable to work without an amp.  That's why I haven't purchased one yet, and the reason I'm still hesitating.

• If so, how is this possible?  I'm not tuning up my volume the whole way up, so what "extra" is the external amplifier doing?

• Would the JDS Element, Apogee Groove, or Schiit Magni/Modi 2 stack be the best choice?  Based on my research, it seems like these are good choices for the characteristics of planar hds. 

• Is the Schiit semi-portable?  I work in my living room, at home studio, and kitchen at times.  I wouldn't mind moving it, I just can't tell if it's a huge issue to move.  If so, I guess the other two options might be better.

I know it's a massive amount of questions, I just don't know what to do yet.  I've seen members state that all DACs and amps are the same and any differences are placebo.  So, if I am going to spend chunk of change, I want to make sure the improvements are very obvious.  Thanks.

It seems like what you want is all the details and punch at a much lower volume and getting a DAC/amp will not really help with this.  Might want to ask what headphones sound good at lower volume levels, for me the MDR-7506 is not bad at really low levels since its bass and treble are too elevated at normal listening levels but at low listening levels its like old equipment that had a loudness switch.

Nov 29, 2016 at 12:14 AM Post #10,148 of 14,386

This pad option is really appealing.  Is there a tutorial on how to change pads?  I'm not sure how to attach the aftermarket pads to the mounting ring, and how to remove the mounting ring from the existing hifiman pads.

Saw a YouTube video on removing and installing the earpads: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=knqDryw8mNw&t=43s

As for removing the pads from the mounting ring itself, you gotta peel the original pads off them as they are glued down onto the rings. After that just slip on the aftermarket pads. The Lawton pads that I ordered were VERY snug, so there was some bending of the mounting ring in order to get the pads onto them.

To reiterate: why peel the glued ring from the stock FocusPads, "breaking them", (as they're great), when you can buy the official velour replacements from HiFiMAN for 10$, the ring is removable, and voila - you've got three pad options at hand with two rings.

And additionally, beginning from: http://www.head-fi.org/t/572327/mission-replace-the-hifiman-ear-pads-with-other-brand-ear-pads/540#post_12665489
videos/tutorial etc. how to install the pads.

Nov 29, 2016 at 12:26 AM Post #10,150 of 14,386
  Is there ANY pads that are easy to install with the mounting ring? I bought Brainwavz angled leather's and so far i have failed getting the ring into them, they are oval and not round, i have snapped the ring by bending it and pushing at same time, and still didnt get it in, ive spent 30mins stretching the brainwavz, its impossible, all this frustration because a company cheaps out on one small detail, 400$ headphones shouldnt have this earpad problem.

Now that ive wasted 29$ on these brainwavz, is there any that are easier to install on my 400i's? im starting to think a rounded earpad will make it easier. so frustrated with hifiman right now.

It's more than doable, as I've mentioned: along with working the leather - it doesn't hurt to "warm" up the rings' plastic properties a bit, taking it easy - and bending them a bit before/during the installing procedure, so they won't crack - akin to working with colder/brittler metal/plastic.
Also, you can work the leather from the oval shape towards a more rounded appearance, which is what I did. Easier to fit the ring inside the pads.

Here's the pics from my initial install: http://www.head-fi.org/t/698974/hifiman-he-400i-impressions-and-discussion/9270#post_12667630
As you can see, the ring is a wee bit bent (suggesting an extremely snug fit), but the ring "forced" the leather to settle towards a more round shape, along with not bending/creating a proper seal in a matter of hours.

Additionally, the 400$ headphone argument is invalid, after all, you're trying to install pads from a different company, which doesn't even officially support fitting any HiFiMAN HE-series.

Nov 29, 2016 at 12:31 AM Post #10,151 of 14,386
  Here a picture of one side.. the other side is hard to capture on photograph.

What The Monkees said.

One option would be to order replacement meshes directly from HiFiMAN, don't have a quote now, but they're rather cheap. Also, people manage to break the mesh-holding-ring often as well, that's orderable as well :p

Nov 29, 2016 at 12:32 AM Post #10,152 of 14,386

And sorry, I forgot the most important part:
Sticky tape.
You can use that to install whatever approximation of a pad to any headphone with a removable pad.

Nov 29, 2016 at 12:53 AM Post #10,153 of 14,386

To reiterate: why peel the glued ring from the stock FocusPads, "breaking them", (as they're great), when you can buy the official velour replacements from HiFiMAN for 10$, the ring is removable, and voila - you've got three pad options at hand with two rings.

And additionally, beginning from: http://www.head-fi.org/t/572327/mission-replace-the-hifiman-ear-pads-with-other-brand-ear-pads/540#post_12665489
videos/tutorial etc. how to install the pads.

Well, I'm not insisting on anyone doing it in one particular way, but it was just to answer the previous question on how to remove the pad. Of course, if one so chooses he/she may go with your way instead. Not trying to insinuating that one way is better than the other.

Nov 29, 2016 at 12:56 AM Post #10,154 of 14,386
  It seems like what you want is all the details and punch at a much lower volume and getting a DAC/amp will not really help with this.  Might want to ask what headphones sound good at lower volume levels, for me the MDR-7506 is not bad at really low levels since its bass and treble are too elevated at normal listening levels but at low listening levels its like old equipment that had a loudness switch.

I appreciate the feedback.  However, I love the clarity of these headphones without over emphasizing the lows, mids, or highs.  I've connected them through my AVR for movies like Fury Road and Sicario, and they sound fantastic.  Maybe it's because movies typically have more dynamic range in the mastering process (not like the loudness wars of music)?  However, for the 400i, what WILL a dac/amp do if I was listening to music from my MacBook Pro?  Again, I am willing to spend money on the dac/amp I have listed above, I'm just uninformed on what it will add to this headphone since it can supposedly be powered enough by itself.  Again, I know this might be a dumb question, but any feedback is a huge help!

Nov 29, 2016 at 1:13 AM Post #10,155 of 14,386

I appreciate the feedback.  However, I love the clarity of these headphones without over emphasizing the lows, mids, or highs.  I've connected them through my AVR for movies like Fury Road and Sicario, and they sound fantastic.  Maybe it's because movies typically have more dynamic range in the mastering process (not like the loudness wars of music)?  However, for the 400i, what WILL a dac/amp do if I was listening to music from my MacBook Pro?  Again, I am willing to spend money on the dac/amp I have listed above, I'm just uninformed on what it will add to this headphone since it can supposedly be powered enough by itself.  Again, I know this might be a dumb question, but any feedback is a huge help!

In my opinion, underamped 400i lacks in the dynamics (along other things), which translates to properly amped sounding better even in lower volumes.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back