Hifiman he-400i Impressions and Discussion
Nov 4, 2015 at 6:55 PM Post #5,297 of 14,386
  However, the Cayin C5 is a very good (and cheap) portable option. This combo just seems to work...

+1. Love the combo and makes it very portable.

Nov 5, 2015 at 2:35 PM Post #5,299 of 14,386
  When did they switch the connector type? If they have the 2.5mm connector then I'm definitely getting a pair. 

At least 4 months ago, all new units have the 2.5mm connectors. Just ask the seller you approach as some might have older stock still. I don't mind the old SMC connectors personally, but I know many didn't like them much.

Nov 8, 2015 at 10:10 AM Post #5,300 of 14,386
I was the one who enquired on the HE400i a few weeks back but eventually got the Audeze EL-8 because I couldn't get a proper audition of the HE400i the first time. Well, I managed to get a proper audition of the HE400i this afternoon and thought I should put my thoughts here. As I did not bring my Hifiman HM-650 DAP and Cayin C5 headphone amp with me to the shop (it was an impromptu trip as I happen to go there while my friend was auditioning the Audeze LCD2 at the shop), the HE400i was paired with the shop's Cayin N5 DAP and Chord Mojo headphone amp. I was IMPRESSED by the HE400i's sound! The clarity and airiness was top notch, and everything sounded pleasing to the ears. It just has a gentle and delicate way of playing music - voices and instruments are cleanly represented, the bass was balanced, the mids were there (neither forward or backward to my ears) and the treble was nice and clear (I would say they are alluring). It sounded bass light with contemporary/pop music but when I played a well recorded song which has good bass boy it really gives you that bass in all its glory! It just doesn't add or elevate the bass in a recording but when there is good bass in it boy does it dish it out to you in an 'opulent' way!

Does it make me regret getting the Audeze EL-8? Yes and no. Yes because if I had heard it the first time with a proper audition I would definitely have gotten it; and NO because after having burnt-in the EL-8 for nearly a week, it has shown itself capable of being not only a bad ass when it comes to aggressive genres of music (Rage against the Machine, Daft Punk etc) but it can also be refined and life-like when it comes to more delicate genres of music (Jazz vocals/quartets, instrumentals etc). It's just a different breed of headphone from the HE400i. If I had to make a stand on which is better, I would have to say the HE400i is the one that is more pleasing to the ears. Would I get a HE400i to replace the EL-8? No, for the majority of the type of music I listen to, the grunt (impact and authority) of the EL-8 suits me better, but when it comes to more delicate 'audiophile' music, the EL-8 does fine on its own merits, but if I wanted more of the HE400i sound, I can always go back to my home hifi setup which does the job just as well if not better. Thank you guys for all your advice and tips while I was enquiring on the HE400i, its just my tough luck I had a bad first audition (or lack of!) of the HE400i. At least now I know what all you guys have been raving about all this while! All you guys have great taste!      

Nov 8, 2015 at 10:31 AM Post #5,301 of 14,386
@doughead As my props said, it is awesome that you did a follow up. I will have a chance to hear an EL-8 soon enough at a meet we are having and I really look forward to that. It sounds like the Audeze is working perfectly for you which is awesome. Glad this thread helped you explore sound signatures. Cheers.

Nov 8, 2015 at 10:39 AM Post #5,302 of 14,386
Thanks for the great impressions. So I can deduce the Mojo goes great with the HE400i.

Nov 8, 2015 at 10:53 AM Post #5,303 of 14,386
  @doughead As my props said, it is awesome that you did a follow up. I will have a chance to hear an EL-8 soon enough at a meet we are having and I really look forward to that. It sounds like the Audeze is working perfectly for you which is awesome. Glad this thread helped you explore sound signatures. Cheers.

Thanks Sonic, its a matter of give and take. I enjoy heavy music on the EL-8, but I also miss what I heard on the HE400i for other genres of music, yes they are really that good! I know the subject of burn-in carries some skepticism to it but I have to say the EL-8s are getting bolder and more substantial in the low end as the days go by but the highs still need further smoothening (I leave them playing in a loop for almost 24/7). They don't do more delicate music as well as I would like but they do a pretty good job of more fast paced music, if they are well recorded. They don't smooth over any flaws in a recording, and having heard the LCD2 too, they are more aggressive in comparison.  

Nov 10, 2015 at 10:05 PM Post #5,305 of 14,386
I have been using my PM 3s mostly lately (newest toy syndrome) but last night I played the 400i through my main system and there is just something really right about that punchy, speedy and non-glaring signature that really works for me. I was playing some new Phuturprimitive and damn was it engaging. All kinds of micro detail, plump articulate bass, all kinds of speed. What I really appreciate quite a bit is the well extended treble that stops shy of being peaky. The 560 has more nuanced treble, but it can get on the edge at times so ultimately I would give the listenability factor to the 400i. Now when the 560 are humming along in their sweet spot you can tell what the more accomplished headphone of the two is, but seriously, I am really impressed with the 400i.

I was comparing it on a few occasions with the TH 900 expecting to always be really let down when I went from the TH 900 to the 400i, but that just wasn't the case. Certainly the TH 900 like the 560 is the more accomplished signature, but as I said, the 400i is so easy to listen to, very energetic and in all reality very technically competent. I'm glad I took the chance on it.

Nov 11, 2015 at 1:16 AM Post #5,307 of 14,386
Agreed. They are the sonic equivalent of the comfiest couch in the house. Not the newest, not the most strudy, but the one you fall back to the most.

Nov 11, 2015 at 2:03 AM Post #5,308 of 14,386
Are the highs sibilant/piercing at all with the 400i? I've heard about treble issues with Hifimans and I'm a little treble-sensitive. Based on the graphs there does seem to be a slight peak at 10kHz, but nothing significant. 

Nov 11, 2015 at 2:13 AM Post #5,309 of 14,386
  Are the highs sibilant/piercing at all with the 400i? I've heard about treble issues with Hifimans and I'm a little treble-sensitive. Based on the graphs there does seem to be a slight peak at 10kHz, but nothing significant. 

the 400i and 500 are the least offensive of all the hifiman's I've heard in the highs (only haven't heard 5-LE), and I don't find any issues with too much brightness, but it may depend on how sensitive to it you are. I find the HE-400 and DT880 too bright.

Nov 11, 2015 at 2:27 AM Post #5,310 of 14,386
  the 400i and 500 are the least offensive of all the hifiman's I've heard in the highs (only haven't heard 5-LE), and I don't find any issues with too much brightness, but it may depend on how sensitive to it you are. I find the HE-400 and DT880 too bright.

That's good to hear, the 880s are called more neutral for god knows what reason, but they have a very similar treble spike as the 990s (http://graphs.headphone.com/graphCompare.php?graphType=0&graphID[]=2241&graphID[]=2751&scale=30) - just want to put that out there. The X2s have a small 10kHz spike as well and I've had to dial in down for certain songs, so I'm extra cautious for any future HP I'm considering. The 400i's are on the top of my list, so that's good to hear about the highs. I have to get a planar

Users who are viewing this thread

Back