Hifiman he-400i Impressions and Discussion
Nov 3, 2015 at 9:03 PM Post #5,281 of 14,386
My set developed what sounds like a failed/failing driver. During quiet passages with rolling bass I hear a crackling sound in right cup. I emailed HiFiMan and they quickly got me a RA#.

The wierd thing was that I noticed the headphones would make the same crackling noise when putting them on or if I moved my head. I never really noticed it during listening. But it quickly got worse.
Something that happened with my AKG K702 when I had them was that there was a tiny piece of my hair stuck in the mesh on the earcups, which hit the driver whenever there was bass or I moved my head fast enough.

Nov 3, 2015 at 9:03 PM Post #5,282 of 14,386
My set developed what sounds like a failed/failing driver. During quiet passages with rolling bass I hear a crackling sound in right cup. I emailed HiFiMan and they quickly got me a RA#.

The wierd thing was that I noticed the headphones would make the same crackling noise when putting them on or if I moved my head. I never really noticed it during listening. But it quickly got worse.

my pair did this for about a week, and the issue was the connector on one of the cups. when I turned my head I got the crackle. After tightening up the connector (mine is an aftermarket cable) the issues went away.

Nov 3, 2015 at 9:19 PM Post #5,283 of 14,386
Something that happened with my AKG K702 when I had them was that there was a tiny piece of my hair stuck in the mesh on the earcups, which hit the driver whenever there was bass or I moved my head fast enough.

my pair did this for about a week, and the issue was the connector on one of the cups. when I turned my head I got the crackle. After tightening up the connector (mine is an aftermarket cable) the issues went away.

I took the pads off and looked them over and couldn't see anything. They are on their way to HiFiMan as we speak. Hopefully it's a fast turnaround and I can get back to enjoying them.

Nov 3, 2015 at 9:22 PM Post #5,284 of 14,386
I took the pads off and looked them over and couldn't see anything. They are on their way to HiFiMan as we speak. Hopefully it's a fast turnaround and I can get back to enjoying them.

Bummer dude, I love the 400i, fast becoming one of my favourite headphones. The soundstage may be a little close-in, but there are just so many positive things about the 400i that I really don't even notice the less expansive soundstage. I hope you get your set back very soon.

Nov 3, 2015 at 9:24 PM Post #5,285 of 14,386
Bummer dude, I love the 400i, fast becoming one of my favourite headphones. The soundstage may be a little close-in, but there are just so many positive things about the 400i that I really don't even notice the less expansive soundstage. I hope you get your set back very soon.

These things are amazing!

Nov 3, 2015 at 9:35 PM Post #5,286 of 14,386
My wife is from Sarnia which is pretty close to Detroit and she babbles so much about Detroit that I have to remind her she didn't live in Detroit!

Nov 4, 2015 at 4:43 AM Post #5,287 of 14,386

I guess coming from Grado, expansive soundstage is just not that important to me.  I'm much more finicky about depth.

That being the case, I have noticed that on movie and some live recordings, if the recording has a wide soundstage initially, then the 400i's present if pretty faithfully.

Nov 4, 2015 at 9:56 AM Post #5,288 of 14,386
The Audio-gd SA-31 is a perfect match for the HE-400i (IMHO). They need a decent amount of headroom to develop their potential.

Nov 4, 2015 at 9:57 AM Post #5,289 of 14,386
However, the Cayin C5 is a very good (and cheap) portable option. This combo just seems to work...

Nov 4, 2015 at 10:29 AM Post #5,290 of 14,386
  I guess coming from Grado, expansive soundstage is just not that important to me.  I'm much more finicky about depth.

That being the case, I have noticed that on movie and some live recordings, if the recording has a wide soundstage initially, then the 400i's present if pretty faithfully.

Good to know. I like their presentation and frankly I don't tend to really pay that much attention to these things, but if I did depth is more important to me also.

Nov 4, 2015 at 2:27 PM Post #5,291 of 14,386

Same here, with the stock cable, in the first week. Tightening up the connector totally cured the problem. 

Nov 4, 2015 at 2:42 PM Post #5,292 of 14,386
Hm, interesting...
I've got my HE-400i today, brand new one, and it has ordinary 3,5mm cups connectors.
It was big surprise for me, all picures i've seen before, all pictures of plugs, jacks and cables demonstrate totally different kind of connection.
It seems very odd :)

Nov 4, 2015 at 3:33 PM Post #5,293 of 14,386
  Hm, interesting...
I've got my HE-400i today, brand new one, and it has ordinary 3,5mm cups connectors.
It was big surprise for me, all picures i've seen before, all pictures of plugs, jacks and cables demonstrate totally different kind of connection.

New "bunchs" of he400i s comes with the new (2.5* ) connector.

Nov 4, 2015 at 4:43 PM Post #5,295 of 14,386
  Hm, interesting...

It should be a 2.5mm connector unless it has changed again?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back