Hifiman he-400i Impressions and Discussion
Sep 2, 2015 at 6:40 AM Post #4,786 of 14,386
I'd welcome some advice. I'm in the process of revamping my hi-fi set-up, intending to switch from a headphone-only system of LCD-2 (rev 2 pre-fazor) and Red Wine Audio Corvina to a Naim 5si amp. (many reasons for this, so please don't advise me to try an alternate headphone amp or go for both - finances won't allow. I chose the Naim because of a really good headphone stage by integrated amp standards and a sound character that I really like) 

By necessity I'll still do a lot of headphone listening and I'm considering the he-400i both for its considerably easier ability to drive and also what I perceive from reviews to be a more balanced sound. The LCD-2 s are just too recessed and rolled off for me. I listen to a wide range of music, but mainly rock/pop.

Some posts here talk of the 400is being too bright, but it seems to be amp-dependent and not necessarily a feature of the headphone itself.

Any advice or potential pitfalls regarding my plans or any alternative headphone choices? 

Thanks

Sep 2, 2015 at 9:26 AM Post #4,788 of 14,386
  I'd welcome some advice. I'm in the process of revamping my hi-fi set-up, intending to switch from a headphone-only system of LCD-2 (rev 2 pre-fazor) and Red Wine Audio Corvina to a Naim 5si amp. (many reasons for this, so please don't advise me to try an alternate headphone amp or go for both - finances won't allow. I chose the Naim because of a really good headphone stage by integrated amp standards and a sound character that I really like) 

By necessity I'll still do a lot of headphone listening and I'm considering the he-400i both for its considerably easier ability to drive and also what I perceive from reviews to be a more balanced sound. The LCD-2 s are just too recessed and rolled off for me. I listen to a wide range of music, but mainly rock/pop.

Some posts here talk of the 400is being too bright, but it seems to be amp-dependent and not necessarily a feature of the headphone itself.a chance

Any advice or potential pitfalls regarding my plans or any alternative headphone choices? 

Thanks

I´ve heard HE-400i with Oppo HA-1, Audioengine D1 and iBasso DX90. In neither of these setups did I find the sound signature of HE-400i bright. In all setups I perceived the sound signature as slightly warm/ neutral. As for comparison between HE-400i and LCD-2 (fazored version), I think LCD-2 is technically better headphone but the difference in sound quality certainly isn´t big. Let´s say I would give HE-400i 88% and LCD-2  92% for sound quality. LCD-2 has even creamier/ silkier midrange and a bit more impactful subbass. Overall soundstage size seems also slightly bigger to me on LCD-2. On the other side HE-400i sounds airier and has better treble extension (is not as recessed in highs as LCD-2)  Instrument separation is comparable imo. LCD-2 has even warmer/darker sound signature than HE-400i. I would say HE-400i is more neutral and thus perhaps a better genre all-rounder. The biggest difference is in comfort. While wearing comfort on HE-400i is very good, LCD-2 is plain heavy and simply uncomfortable (yes, for me even for a short listening period). The comfort difference is to me 85 % vs 40 %. If you seriously consider buying a headphone for a lot of (extended) listening I would be cautious with LCD-2. Try it by yourself if you have a chance, but I would also recommend looking for other options like HE-400i, HE-400s, HE-560, Oppo PM 2 or Oppo PM-3 if you wish to buy a comfortable planar headphone under 1000 dollars/euros. All these headphones (with the exception of HE-560) should be also easier to drive than LCD-2. If you wish to buy Audeze headphone after all, probably a new EL-8 model can be also taken into your consideration, as it should be reportedly way more comfortable than LCD-2 and also easier to drive.

Sep 2, 2015 at 9:35 AM Post #4,789 of 14,386

Some posts here talk of the 400is being too bright, but it seems to be amp-dependent and not necessarily a feature of the headphone itself.

Thanks

I think that, given that you think the LCD2 is too rolled off, you will probably like the 400i. The 400i is also much lighter, if that means anything to you. I think the HE-500 is another choice that I personally would consider, as it sounds very similar to the 400i, and retains the intimate, sweet vocals, but has a more expansive soundstage and is slightly less agressive in the upper mids/lower treble (could be good or bad depending on your choices of music). The 500 is, however, heavy. Feels worse on the head than the Audeze, IMO. I think you would be quite happy with 400i if you decide to go that route.

Sep 2, 2015 at 10:50 AM Post #4,790 of 14,386
  I would not consider the LCD-2f a big step up from HE-400i, more like a half-step or side step, just different sound signature.  While the LCD-2f has a better low end the mids and highs on HE-400i are better IMO.  I'm using either a Lyr2 or Project Ember to drive both of these headphones, the LCD-2f will also work quite well with Asgard2 but the HE-400i becomes to bright for me with the Asgard2.  For jazz the LCD-2f is good along with K7XX, HD-650 and SRH-1840. 

Agree with you that the HE-400i works with a lot of different genres of music but for classical can't beat either HD-800 or T1.  I've also used my HE-560 and DT-990 for classical and they are good but a little short of the HD-800 and T1.  LCD-2f for classical didn't work for me, not enough soundstage and mids/highs are not open/airy enough.  Using a BH Crack for HD-800, T1 and DT-990.

Thanks you and others for info. It looks like that double price is not justified, so maybe better to wait and find something else. I kind of liked alpha dogs for classical, but were to bright in some genres for me. To heavy also, so I am not very keen on that aspect of LCD 2F.

Sep 2, 2015 at 10:54 AM Post #4,791 of 14,386
  I hesitate to give tips.  EQ is a scientific and predictable approach for the most part, but the results are always subjective.  I just JRiver, so the results are applied to virtually all applications on my computer, at least the ones I care about.

I can tell you this: it is usually better to cut than to boost. If I want low-volume listening, I cut at about 1200 Hz or so, -3 dB. My hearing is quite sensitive right there, and cutting the mids allows to bass to be heard at lower volumes, say around 70 dB or so.

I do boost bass sometimes on 400i ... that is I cut on 110 Hz ... from 4-8db. It depends on record, and it is almost exclusively for reggae and funk stuff. I don't need EQ for jazz, blues, classical ...
It behaves quite good in that range ... you need an amp to compensate for 8db cut.

Sep 2, 2015 at 10:37 PM Post #4,793 of 14,386

Thanks

Ken, if you are comfortable with a DIY solution I would try looking in to building a SennGrado, I've built 3 so far and all sound great, are easy to drive and there is some tuning available by driver position, adding dynamat and different drivers options.  I have a LCD-2F, HE-400i/560, HD-800/700/650 and a few other headphones but if I could only have one it would be one of the SennGrado's, why you might ask, because it has great bass like a HE-400, mids similar to a HD-650 and highs that are almost like the HD-800.  Check out the thread for the SennGrado, might be surprised to see what others have to say about it.

Sep 3, 2015 at 2:14 AM Post #4,794 of 14,386
  I would not consider the LCD-2f a big step up from HE-400i, more like a half-step or side step, just different sound signature.  While the LCD-2f has a better low end the mids and highs on HE-400i are better IMO.  I'm using either a Lyr2 or Project Ember to drive both of these headphones, the LCD-2f will also work quite well with Asgard2 but the HE-400i becomes to bright for me with the Asgard2.  For jazz the LCD-2f is good along with K7XX, HD-650 and SRH-1840. 

Agree with you that the HE-400i works with a lot of different genres of music but for classical can't beat either HD-800 or T1.  I've also used my HE-560 and DT-990 for classical and they are good but a little short of the HD-800 and T1.  LCD-2f for classical didn't work for me, not enough soundstage and mids/highs are not open/airy enough.  Using a BH Crack for HD-800, T1 and DT-990.

Pretty much agree with this.

Sep 3, 2015 at 7:35 AM Post #4,795 of 14,386
Thanks to everyone who replied to my post.

DavidA, I'll look into that. First I have heard of a SennGrado  
smile_phones.gif

Sep 3, 2015 at 2:23 PM Post #4,796 of 14,386
Experimenting with bass boost on the HE-400i. I had a taste of bass heavy iems recently and now I find the 400i lacking. My config below, sounding really juicy 
basshead.gif
 The bass doesn't bleed into the mids at all which is awesome, reminds me a little of the HE-400, but without the piercing treble!

I'll also be creating an EqualizerAPO version as well. I'll post that if anyone's interested.

Sep 4, 2015 at 6:01 AM Post #4,799 of 14,386
  Experimenting with bass boost on the HE-400i. I had a taste of bass heavy iems recently and now I find the 400i lacking. My config below, sounding really juicy 
basshead.gif
 The bass doesn't bleed into the mids at all which is awesome, reminds me a little of the HE-400, but without the piercing treble!

I'll also be creating an EqualizerAPO version as well. I'll post that if anyone's interested.

would be perfetto if you can post it !!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back