Hifiman he-400i Impressions and Discussion
Sep 1, 2015 at 10:50 AM Post #4,771 of 14,386

Do you have any tips for EQ'ing?
I have tried doing that in foobar. But I just could not get any result I quite liked. Maybe I'm just doing it wrong.

Also if I get an EQ setting working, is there any way to apply it directly to the Windows mixer so all audio is EQ'ed?

I hesitate to give tips.  EQ is a scientific and predictable approach for the most part, but the results are always subjective.  I just JRiver, so the results are applied to virtually all applications on my computer, at least the ones I care about.

I can tell you this: it is usually better to cut than to boost. If I want low-volume listening, I cut at about 1200 Hz or so, -3 dB. My hearing is quite sensitive right there, and cutting the mids allows to bass to be heard at lower volumes, say around 70 dB or so.

Sep 1, 2015 at 8:43 PM Post #4,772 of 14,386
Without the fazor. Usually more bass = less airy sound. If you listen to classical buy a HD800, but for rock, pop or R&B LCD2 are great. 

99.9% of my music listening is some form of electronic music, Drum&bass for example.
The HE-400i's are actually good at keeping up with those 175BPM. But it seems like speed is a planarmag thing.

I hesitate to give tips.  EQ is a scientific and predictable approach for the most part, but the results are always subjective.  I just JRiver, so the results are applied to virtually all applications on my computer, at least the ones I care about.

I can tell you this: it is usually better to cut than to boost. If I want low-volume listening, I cut at about 1200 Hz or so, -3 dB. My hearing is quite sensitive right there, and cutting the mids allows to bass to be heard at lower volumes, say around 70 dB or so.

I should propably give EQ'ing another try. I'll try doing some research into the matter.

Even though it wouldn't be impossible for me to afford an Audeze. It would be great if I didn't have to, atleast as long as I am still studying :)

Sep 1, 2015 at 8:46 PM Post #4,773 of 14,386
99.9% of my music listening is some form of electronic music, Drum&bass for example.
The HE-400i's are actually good at keeping up with those 175BPM. But it seems like speed is a planarmag thing.
I should propably give EQ'ing another try. I'll try doing some research into the matter.

Even though it wouldn't be impossible for me to afford an Audeze. It would be great if I didn't have to, atleast as long as I am still studying
smily_headphones1.gif

oh, I hear you about the studying. Now that I'm back in school myself, I seriously have to stop buying headphone gear. Especially since I rarely have any time to just listen.

I have found that having a light touch and a little bit of knowledge regarding EQ's saves me a lot of money. I don't mind buying new gear, but trying to EQ with hardware can be darn expensive!

Sep 1, 2015 at 11:07 PM Post #4,774 of 14,386
My new HE400i arrived yesterday! I got them from the official Hifiman site since I work in China, and they were on sale for $265 USD shipped. They seem to be the most updated revision with 2.5mm jacks that plug directly into the headphones (no twisting). I was only able to listen to them for about an hour last night but they sound great! I will have to get used to the signature compared to my old DT770 but the clarity is really nice, and although they leak a lot of sound out, they definitely have an intimate soundstage. Thanks for all the recommendations in this thread.

Sep 1, 2015 at 11:10 PM Post #4,775 of 14,386
  My new HE400i arrived yesterday! I got them from the official Hifiman site since I work in China, and they were on sale for $265 USD shipped. They seem to be the most updated revision with 2.5mm jacks that plug directly into the headphones (no twisting). I was only able to listen to them for about an hour last night but they sound great! I will have to get used to the signature compared to my old DT770 but the clarity is really nice, and although they leak a lot of sound out, they definitely have an intimate soundstage. Thanks for all the recommendations in this thread.

What color are they? Are you sure they are not the 400s?

I did a little search and someone else has one too.

http://www.head-fi.org/t/779561/bought-used-he-400i-and-the-connectors-are-different

Also checking the hifiman site the plugs of both the S and the I are described as 3.5mm/6.35mm. 

Care to share a pic?

Sep 1, 2015 at 11:26 PM Post #4,777 of 14,386

Thanks for the link. Just got mine a few days ago with the old connectors. The 100 dollar price drop should have let me know of things to come. Oh well! Im gonna unsubscribe before talks of how much better these new cables sound start coming out. 

Sep 2, 2015 at 12:53 AM Post #4,778 of 14,386

Thanks for the link. Just got mine a few days ago with the old connectors. The 100 dollar price drop should have let me know of things to come. Oh well! Im gonna unsubscribe before talks of how much better these new cables sound start coming out. 

I don't think the new cables would sound much better as they would probably be less of a hassle to use...  

Sep 2, 2015 at 1:07 AM Post #4,780 of 14,386
  They have upgraded the connectors.

https://head-direct.com/Products/?act=detail&id=208

Yes mine are exactly the same as the ones in this picture. I guess Hifiman heard the complaints about the connectors and decided to change them. In the user manual they actually just stuck a sticker over the page outlining how to attach the screw-on connectors and provided a much shorter explanation of how to plug in the new cable haha.

Sep 2, 2015 at 1:38 AM Post #4,781 of 14,386

The cables are the same. Only the connectors have been changed. 

Sep 2, 2015 at 2:19 AM Post #4,782 of 14,386

Yes mine are exactly the same as the ones in this picture. I guess Hifiman heard the complaints about the connectors and decided to change them. In the user manual they actually just stuck a sticker over the page outlining how to attach the screw-on connectors and provided a much shorter explanation of how to plug in the new cable haha.

LOL, that makes sense...  Why waste some manuals that are already printed.  It's greener and cheaper :p  I want to assume this also means that the HE-560 has the new connectors as well.  I'd love to have a set of those connectors on my 560, I've had no luck with having cables last :/  

Sep 2, 2015 at 3:05 AM Post #4,784 of 14,386
Hi,
Chasing thoughts on LCD 2F & 400i comparisons. I have 400i, like it  for all the genres ... very much for classical, a bit less for jazz and reggae. Hoping to get an upgrade and was thinking of 2f, but I am not so sure (reading through this thread) it is a big step up.

Any thoughts on 2F as phone for classical listening.

Sep 2, 2015 at 4:03 AM Post #4,785 of 14,386
  Hi,
Chasing thoughts on LCD 2F & 400i comparisons. I have 400i, like it  for all the genres ... very much for classical, a bit less for jazz and reggae. Hoping to get an upgrade and was thinking of 2f, but I am not so sure (reading through this thread) it is a big step up.

Any thoughts on 2F as phone for classical listening.

I would not consider the LCD-2f a big step up from HE-400i, more like a half-step or side step, just different sound signature.  While the LCD-2f has a better low end the mids and highs on HE-400i are better IMO.  I'm using either a Lyr2 or Project Ember to drive both of these headphones, the LCD-2f will also work quite well with Asgard2 but the HE-400i becomes to bright for me with the Asgard2.  For jazz the LCD-2f is good along with K7XX, HD-650 and SRH-1840. 

Agree with you that the HE-400i works with a lot of different genres of music but for classical can't beat either HD-800 or T1.  I've also used my HE-560 and DT-990 for classical and they are good but a little short of the HD-800 and T1.  LCD-2f for classical didn't work for me, not enough soundstage and mids/highs are not open/airy enough.  Using a BH Crack for HD-800, T1 and DT-990.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back