Hifiman he-400i Impressions and Discussion
Sep 11, 2014 at 11:01 PM Post #1,906 of 14,386
I really need to hear the 400i with the lyr 2 on some good tubes. I'm hoping to get to do just that at the Nashville meet. 

You bring the Mjolnir and I'll bring the Lyr 2, I think we might be able to work something out :moneybag::wink:.

Sep 11, 2014 at 11:03 PM Post #1,907 of 14,386
It is an actual guideline.

You have no reason to bring up the Paradox as a better value because you haven't heard it-- completely ignoring the fact that nobody asked if the Paradox was a good value or not in the first place.

Sep 11, 2014 at 11:46 PM Post #1,908 of 14,386

1. The headband.  A real winner.  The previous models had a nice leather headband but even in the most collapsed state, the inner tops of the pads would still put pressure on my upper ears.  This one I really love!

I wonder if the HE-400i is universally less clampy than the 560?  The 400i I received has far less clamp to the 560, even less clamp than my 560 after I stretched it a couple of times.  The 400i really is a comfort king with that kind of low clamp.  Bass extension doesn't seem to suffer that much either.

Sep 11, 2014 at 11:51 PM Post #1,909 of 14,386
  I already know. They can get over it. It's stupid. I feel that several peoples' experiences are plenty enough.
Yeah, suppose you're right, but again, there are TONS of impressions/opinions there in my thread.

Right, so I brought up that one because I felt it was a better value than both.
I'm fine with not talking about off topic stuff, but it tends to happen, I mean, it's needed sometimes, but that other bit, is that an actual rule?

hahaha... you can find & quote lots of positive impressions about anything, even the beats have a pretty loyal following (just not around here lol).

Yea, there are technically rules like that. they can be found here: http://www.head-fi.org/a/posting-guidelines. really the main thing people get upset about around here is comments about headphones that you haven't heard/used, so that why I would suggest waiting until you actually get your headphones & had a chance to listen to them before posting so much positive publicity for them. it is more helpful for people interested in a certain pair of headphones to hear from people who actually used them.

Sep 12, 2014 at 12:14 AM Post #1,910 of 14,386
From the site Rules:  Posting Guidelines:
"Please don't recommend equipment you don't own or otherwise don't have a reasonable amount of familiarity with. You wouldn't recommend someone a car you've never driven or suggest someone live in a country you haven't been to, so recommending headphones and equipment you haven't owned or used is unhelpful. Even if you've seen the same comments about something from a dozen members, save discussion of that if you're intending to buy it yourself."

Sep 12, 2014 at 12:36 AM Post #1,911 of 14,386
Nice! I'm wondering if the Vali would be a good match with the 400i ?

Ok, i tried out Vali w/ the 400i tonight.  Wow!  Sounds and works great!  Plenty of power, no hiss noise, and the impedance matching was no sweat.  I didn't realize the Vali would work so well.  Can't get up to 12:00 on the volume control without blowing out eardrums.
The Senn HD600 is known to work well with the Vali, and I compared those, and they sound as good as ever on the Vali.  But the 400i is right up there.  Different presentations (400i more forward treble), but both excellent on this amp.

Sep 12, 2014 at 2:31 AM Post #1,912 of 14,386
  Ok, i tried out Vali w/ the 400i tonight.  Wow!  Sounds and works great!  Plenty of power, no hiss noise, and the impedance matching was no sweat.  I didn't realize the Vali would work so well.  Can't get up to 12:00 on the volume control without blowing out eardrums.
The Senn HD600 is known to work well with the Vali, and I compared those, and they sound as good as ever on the Vali.  But the 400i is right up there.  Different presentations (400i more forward treble), but both excellent on this amp.

How were the microphonics from the tubes?  Did you just experienced the slight amount when turning the amp on, then it was good from there?  I see a Vali amp listed on Craigslist in the DC metro area for $65.00.  I've had one in the past and liked the sound when compared to the Magni.  Decisions.  I guess I made a mistake in selling the Asgard (original version) as I didn't think I'd be using it for quite some time.

Sep 12, 2014 at 2:43 AM Post #1,913 of 14,386
I wonder if the HE-400i is universally less clampy than the 560?  The 400i I received has far less clamp to the 560, even less clamp than my 560 after I stretched it a couple of times.  The 400i really is a comfort king with that kind of low clamp.  Bass extension doesn't seem to suffer that much either.

Mine certainly is like that too.
I've been stretching it as well but the 400i is still significantly less clampy.
Although I thought it was due to manufacture variation... Suppose it maybe isn't :D

Sep 12, 2014 at 7:51 AM Post #1,914 of 14,386
*COUGH* Carry on with the HE-400i impressions. 
wink_face.gif

Sep 12, 2014 at 9:06 AM Post #1,915 of 14,386
How were the microphonics from the tubes?  Did you just experienced the slight amount when turning the amp on, then it was good from there?  I see a Vali amp listed on Craigslist in the DC metro area for $65.00.  I've had one in the past and liked the sound when compared to the Magni.  Decisions.  I guess I made a mistake in selling the Asgard (original version) as I didn't think I'd be using it for quite some time.
The microphonics thru the 400i were about the same as thru the high impedance Senns. That is, 20-30 seconds of ringing after plugging in, then silence. Thorough other low impedance phones (Phiaton) the ringing was louder

Sep 12, 2014 at 9:20 AM Post #1,916 of 14,386

Very good news!

Thanks for your feedback.

Sep 12, 2014 at 10:02 AM Post #1,918 of 14,386
I have a chance to buy a open box 400i. For $385 .. I already own the 400... should I purchase the 400i also

for that price - YES!

Sep 12, 2014 at 12:00 PM Post #1,920 of 14,386

I have a chance to buy a open box 400i. For $385 .. I already own the 400... should I purchase the 400i also

No, absolutely not. Quicky, give me the seller's contact info. :kissing:

http://www.razordogaudio.com/collections/hifiman/products/hifiman-he-400i-full-size-planar-magnetic-headphone-open-box
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back