Hifiman he-400i Impressions and Discussion
Sep 12, 2014 at 10:38 PM Post #1,937 of 14,386
Can we say the he400i is the best headphone under $500 ?

You have to be careful with the "best" you have open,closed,warm,fun,balanced all have very different sounds. Asking if its the best open warm sounding under $500 maybe a better question. I just picked up a pair of T90 for under $400 and love them but they are a different sound. Still may pick up a pair of HE-400i .......oh hell I will at some time.

Sep 12, 2014 at 11:10 PM Post #1,939 of 14,386

As others have mentioned, "Best" is very subjective regardless of what it is.  The HE-400i is a good value for the price and is, what I believe, a direct result of many of the contributions made through various comments, modifications and tweaks that were performed by many to the Hifiman headphones on this site.  It appears to me that Hifiman was carefully reading the posts and listening to what customers who owned their current products were saying.  Many of the gripes that I had, were resolved with the HE-400i.  To be honest, I didn't think the 400i would undergo so many changes.  As others say, the HE-400i is different beast than the HE-400.  I'm a bit surprised that Hifiman didn't label it the HE-460i. It would seem more fitting - in my view.
You have to be careful with the "best" you have open,closed,warm,fun,balanced all have very different sounds. Asking if its the best open warm sounding under $500 maybe a better question. I just picked up a pair of T90 for under $400 and love them but they are a different sound. Still may pick up a pair of HE-400i .......oh hell I will at some time.

I can agree with you.  I also happened to own the T90s for a short period of time.  I found a new pair right in the price range of where you purchased yours.  To me, it didn't offer enough of a jump over the Beyerdynamic DT-770.  Or rather, that was just how I perceived it.  Granted, they did use the Tesla technology with the T90 model. 

For nuts like me, to narrow down a top-5 on headphones would mean that the "5" would most likely transition on and off that list based on past purchase history.  But, that's just me and I'm trying to mend my addiction spending habits.

Sep 13, 2014 at 12:05 AM Post #1,940 of 14,386

As others have mentioned, "Best" is very subjective regardless of what it is.  The HE-400i is a good value for the price and is, what I believe, a direct result of many of the contributions made through various comments, modifications and tweaks that were performed by many to the Hifiman headphones on this site.  It appears to me that Hifiman was carefully reading the posts and listening to what customers who owned their current products were saying.  Many of the gripes that I had, were resolved with the HE-400i.  To be honest, I didn't think the 400i would undergo so many changes.  As others say, the HE-400i is different beast than the HE-400.  I'm a bit surprised that Hifiman didn't label it the HE-460i. It would seem more fitting - in my view.

I can agree with you.  I also happened to own the T90s for a short period of time.  I found a new pair right in the price range of where you purchased yours.  To me, it didn't offer enough of a jump over the Beyerdynamic DT-770.  Or rather, that was just how I perceived it.  Granted, they did use the Tesla technology with the T90 model. 

For nuts like me, to narrow down a top-5 on headphones would mean that the "5" would most likely transition on and off that list based on past purchase history.  But, that's just me and I'm trying to mend my addiction spending habits.

Shoulda been named HE450.

Sep 13, 2014 at 8:53 AM Post #1,942 of 14,386
Has anyone returned their 400i because they lacked base? Thx

Um...not me. 
wink.gif

Sep 13, 2014 at 9:27 AM Post #1,943 of 14,386
Has anyone returned their 400i because they lacked base?

These are not bass-head cans, so it wouldn't surprise me.  But the bass is deep, tight, controlled, and detailed. Anyone returning for a lack of it ignored the research and comments, assuming they read this thread or other reviews.

Sep 13, 2014 at 9:59 AM Post #1,944 of 14,386

Hey Wje
would you say the difference between the T90 and the HE400i is worth having both? I have the HE400 now too I was going to sell them if I went for the HE400i.

Sep 13, 2014 at 10:21 AM Post #1,945 of 14,386
comparing HE400i with my trust old Q701, this is my first day with the HE400i, and dang~ it's a big contrast compared to Q701

Sep 13, 2014 at 12:26 PM Post #1,946 of 14,386

Having heard or owned most of the favorites on head-fi, I can't think of a headphone I would prefer under $500. It depends heavily on the genres of music you listen to though. I listen to just about everything except hard rock/metal/country. Mostly EDM, indie, female vocals, jazz.

Sep 13, 2014 at 1:07 PM Post #1,947 of 14,386
So are the HE-400i better than HE-500?

Sep 13, 2014 at 1:26 PM Post #1,949 of 14,386

They are more similar than anything else IMO. But the 400i is king of comfort and efficiency. 

I see. How are the 400i racking up to HD800?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back