Hifiman HE-400i and HE-560: From CES to Pre-Launch
Mar 1, 2014 at 7:45 PM Post #2,161 of 3,091
  Intuitive and simple enough of a concept, but you'd be surprised at how few people actually think to do it this way.

Most people probably just "oh it's a screw-on connector, lemme just screw it on!"

Lol.. I read it all the time. Also, you don't even have to use the nut. Just wind, and thread. It's why it takes only a few seconds, and it is also very tight and solid every time.

Mar 1, 2014 at 10:08 PM Post #2,162 of 3,091
  Portable HifiMan cans? WoW! This I gotta try out. Now it's going to be a battle royale between the He-400i the He-500 and the He-560 . I already know that the He-560 will be better due to the high price (wish they would lower to $700) , but the He-400i and He-500 battle is going to be interesting to say the least.

Well, the HM-901 with Balanced Amp card can actually power the more power hungry HE-6 pretty well.  The HE-560 is more efficient than the HE-6, so..........   :wink:

Mar 2, 2014 at 9:10 AM Post #2,163 of 3,091

Lol.. I read it all the time. Also, you don't even have to use the nut. Just wind, and thread. It's why it takes only a few seconds, and it is also very tight and solid every time.

I think the issue where the nut is cumbersome is due to its smaller size.  You really have to have tiny fingers to be able to hold the cable, and turn just the nut - or get a very small wrench to turn the nut while holding the cable.  The advice of reversing the cable, in hand, then turning it as applying to the ear cup connector is another solution, as suggested.

I guess I can kind of see where Hifman was possibly stuck in a bad spot with the thought of doing a changeover in the connectors.  There's plenty of people out there who may have purchased their own higher-end cables and would hold onto those cables for use with the newly released headphones.  Also, Hifiman would have to keep both cable types in stock for an extended period of time to be able to satisfy the requests of buyers for the previous models, while having the newer cable connectors for the newer headphones.  In the end, I can kind of see what might have been their logic for staying the course with the SMC type connectors.

Mar 2, 2014 at 9:34 AM Post #2,164 of 3,091
I knew it would be difficult for hifiman to make a cable change. As you point out, especially from a business perspective, it's tough for a smaller company to make this kind of change and carry multiple cable types. Sennheiser has obviously been able to do it but of course they are a little larger and established. 
wink.gif

I would have loved to see hifiman move to mini xlr. There are lot of those cables out there and I find them very easy to work with. 

Oh well, I will be happy if the sound quality is as good as billed and if they will rework they cable a bit to be a bit more like the he4 cable. 

Good to see you around Wayne...

Mar 2, 2014 at 12:12 PM Post #2,166 of 3,091
It should be marketed as transportable headphones, more than anything.

Portable headphones really should be considerably smaller in dimensions. I'd be interested in a planar with smaller speakers.

Mar 2, 2014 at 1:27 PM Post #2,167 of 3,091
I'm glad they didn't change the connectors. Just bought a nice new cable. Thanks again, Wayne :wink:

Mar 2, 2014 at 1:58 PM Post #2,168 of 3,091
Is that a CablePro? Any thoughts on the change from stock?

I'm glad they didn't change the connectors. Just bought a nice new cable. Thanks again, Wayne :wink:

Mar 2, 2014 at 2:12 PM Post #2,171 of 3,091
  I think that wje made that...

Thats correct.

Sound slightly warmer to my ears without sacrificing any details. Compared to the stock silver cable.

Mar 2, 2014 at 2:42 PM Post #2,173 of 3,091
  So on topic, what is the likely release date? Mid March or early April? Anyone want to take a stab at a closer guess?

I am really hyped right now about the HE-560. I can't wait!

Me neither!
I got my pre-order up.
I'd guess around the 20th of March :D That'd fit the mid-late March date.
Though reviews/first impressions should start appearing sooner [review samples should be sent out soon, early March]

Mar 2, 2014 at 3:10 PM Post #2,175 of 3,091

Users who are viewing this thread

Back