Hifiman HE-400i and HE-560: From CES to Pre-Launch
Mar 2, 2014 at 3:55 PM Post #2,177 of 3,091
Mar 2, 2014 at 5:16 PM Post #2,178 of 3,091
^^ Good point. I don't understand the push at the insane efficiency level. Why would you buy the 400i and at least not have a decent portable amp?  And why would you take it out of the house? It's not really a portable hp. Don't get me wrong, I don't want the he-4 amping requirements again. :wink:

Because new audiophiles want a great headphone but aren't yet sold on the need for an amp. I felt this way over a year ago when I bought the he 400 as my first audiophile headphone. I wanted something that didn't NEED an amp because I didn't have any experience with how amps can effect sound. Now I realize even my efficient cans benefit from amping.

Mar 3, 2014 at 6:50 PM Post #2,183 of 3,091
Hifiman has spend a lot of effort on increasing the efficiency and these should be easier to drive than the he500 I believe. I'd say that they'd would be good out of an Asgard 2. Just my guess though. 

Mar 3, 2014 at 7:06 PM Post #2,184 of 3,091
  Hifiman has spend a lot of effort on increasing the efficiency and these should be easier to drive than the he500 I believe. I'd say that they'd would be good out of an Asgard 2. Just my guess though. 

That's my guess too. One Watt of good quality power should just about do it for both of them (just my guess too). We'll know soon enough because there is a horde of Emotiva owners waiting with bated breath. Haha.

I was thinking something like the DA8 with a built in 1W amp would be pretty nice for them. Especially the 400i, since that will definitely be more efficient.

Mar 3, 2014 at 9:38 PM Post #2,186 of 3,091
The Magni should be able to power the new Hifimans, if I recall it puts out about a watt of power. So for a entry/cheap level amp it should do ok.

Mar 3, 2014 at 9:44 PM Post #2,188 of 3,091

That's my guess too. One Watt of good quality power should just about do it for both of them (just my guess too). We'll know soon enough because there is a horde of Emotiva owners waiting with bated breath. Haha.

I was thinking something like the DA8 with a built in 1W amp would be pretty nice for them. Especially the 400i, since that will definitely be more efficient.

Why are you so insecure?  
biggrin.gif
  Or are we just so itchy to try out new toys? 
tongue.gif

Mar 3, 2014 at 10:33 PM Post #2,189 of 3,091
  The Schiit Vali is said to be able to power the HE4, I remain a skeptic but if that has some truth to it then I take the Vali will do well with the new orthos from HF. Magni should be the same

I've read the same from a couple of trusted ears when it came to amping the HE-4.  I think head-fi all too often mistakens 'properly amping' and 'powering' for just simple amp matching and amp refinement.  Those trusted sources liked the Vali over the Emotiva or other beefy amps when it came to the HE-4.  Now of course Preproman might come in saying the HE-4 should be powered by a hydrogen bomb instead, but it is what it is-- headphones don't take much power to attain good spl and headroom.

Mar 3, 2014 at 10:51 PM Post #2,190 of 3,091
The DA8 is indeed very nice with the HE-400. I have been using the pairing almost exclusively for the last couple of weeks. It is very obvious that the 1W powers the HE 400 optimally or at least very close to its full potential since It sounds remarkably alive and engaging. I think there is special synergy with DA8 in addition to the sheer power. If HE560 is as sensitive as He400, the level of sound quality possible from DA8 alone should be remarkable.

I would love to hear my HE400 and DA8 through a dedicated amp like Violetric 200 to see if there is more untapped potential, but I honestly couldn't imagine there is much more than subtle improvements. I'm hoping to hear more impressions on the new Yulong A28 with DA8 and HE400 to see if more power output could bring further improvements. I think the DA8 integrated has very good sound quality to the point where I think more power would be the main driver for additional improvements. With how sensitive HE400 is however, I think the main benefit would be the ability to drive other headphones versus improving the HE400.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back