Hifiman HE-400i and HE-560: From CES to Pre-Launch
Mar 3, 2014 at 11:18 PM Post #2,191 of 3,091

Why are you so insecure?  
biggrin.gif
  Or are we just so itchy to try out new toys? 
tongue.gif

If the Emotiva works its magic on the HE-560, this just means I have to go looking for one, and probably end up paying double what I sold it for. Haha. So yes! I'm insecure, trembling in fear right now.

I'm hoping 10 Watts of headroom will not matter (fingers crossed).
tongue.gif

Mar 3, 2014 at 11:21 PM Post #2,192 of 3,091

If the Emotiva works its magic on the HE-560, this just means I have to go looking for one, and probably end up paying double what I sold it for. Haha. So yes! I'm insecure, trembling in fear right now.

I'm hoping 10 Watts of headroom will not matter (fingers crossed).
tongue.gif

darthsmile.gif
 I will sell you mine at super discounted price.  Kidding aside, if 560 is as efficient as it's believed to be, we probably won't need as much pwr as the Emo offer to drive the 560 well.  Are you seriously considering 560?

Mar 3, 2014 at 11:27 PM Post #2,193 of 3,091

darthsmile.gif
 I will sell you mine at super discounted price.  Kidding aside, if 560 is as efficient as it's believed to be, we probably won't need as much pwr as the Emo offer to drive the 560 well.  Are you seriously considering 560?

I'm very interested, but I no longer have the proper rig to drive them, so... Not sure what I'll do now.

What I'm going to definitely do is buy the X5 first. I'm literally resisting the temptation to buy a HM-901 with mini-box card, everyday right now.

My thinking is that if I start rebuilding, I need to add the DA8 as the first piece. I can use the internal amp temporarily before getting the Master 9 or Auralic Taurus. Once I have the DA8 I can buy the HE-560, and then add an amp as my last piece of the puzzle. But I think I really need to hear reviews of the 560 and 400i. Which ever one is closer to neutral will get my coin.

K812 was/is great, I love it, but I do wish to have a planar around. Something so nice/pleasant about the music planars can make. Having the 560 next to the K812 might be a very happy duo of dynamic/planar.

Mar 4, 2014 at 12:01 AM Post #2,194 of 3,091
That's my guess too. One Watt of good quality power should just about do it for both of them (just my guess too). We'll know soon enough because there is a horde of Emotiva owners waiting with bated breath. Haha.

I was thinking something like the DA8 with a built in 1W amp would be pretty nice for them. Especially the 400i, since that will definitely be more efficient.

Why are you guys guessing that 1W would be "pretty nice for them"?
We already know the sensitivity (earlier postings) and 35 ohm resistance of each pair, which isn't dramatically different from the current HE-500,
which some folks say need 1-2W *per channel* ( Fang?) to excel.

While I too would love the HE-500 sound with lessened amp wattage, I'm suprised how either of these 2 new models could pull it off based on the specs.

Mar 4, 2014 at 1:21 AM Post #2,195 of 3,091
The Yulong A18 could be a good candidate for the 560.
I just got one and it is quite good with the 5LE. While I feel it's missing some juice for them, the 560 should be much more at ease.
I also have a new SA-31SE on its way! Will make for a nice comparison.

Mar 4, 2014 at 2:57 AM Post #2,196 of 3,091
Hope the Mstage does fine. I mean many liked it with the HE-500.
guess I'll wait and hear :popcorn:

Mar 4, 2014 at 2:58 AM Post #2,197 of 3,091
Why are you guys guessing that 1W would be "pretty nice for them"?
We already know the sensitivity (earlier postings) and 35 ohm resistance of each pair, which isn't dramatically different from the current HE-500,
which some folks say need 1-2W *per channel* ( Fang?) to excel.

While I too would love the HE-500 sound with lessened amp wattage, I'm suprised how either of these 2 new models could pull it off based on the specs.

Does it depend on empedance? Would my 300 Ohm HD600 require a lot more power? Worse, unlike planars, empedance of the HD600 varies a lot with respect to frequency.

I realize the sensitivity of planars are low. But given enough power for decent volume, shouldn't they just sound great?

Mar 4, 2014 at 7:20 AM Post #2,198 of 3,091
I've got the lyr, so I'm really not worried. 
very_evil_smiley.gif

The report directly from hifiman was that they are working to make the he400i sound really good directly from a phone and that the 560 would be more effecient than the 500. So for those who are looking to get the 400i, ANY amp should be fine. 

For those who plan on the 560, I'm guess that the Vali will become the hot commodity for budget buyers. One more week and we should be knocking at the door of excitement. 
popcorn.gif

Mar 4, 2014 at 11:55 AM Post #2,199 of 3,091
  I've got the lyr, so I'm really not worried. 
very_evil_smiley.gif

The report directly from hifiman was that they are working to make the he400i sound really good directly from a phone and that the 560 would be more effecient than the 500. So for those who are looking to get the 400i, ANY amp should be fine. 

For those who plan on the 560, I'm guess that the Vali will become the hot commodity for budget buyers. One more week and we should be knocking at the door of excitement. 
popcorn.gif

Please stop spreading the hype.  You are influencing my self control.  Stop it. 
tongue.gif

Mar 4, 2014 at 1:10 PM Post #2,200 of 3,091
I've got the lyr, so I'm really not worried. :veryevil:  

For those who plan on the 560, I'm guess that the Vali will become the hot commodity for budget buyers. One more week and we should be knocking at the door of excitement. :popcorn:

That's what I'm thinking. Pretty much any decent amp should do fine. I'll keep my PIMETA's and PPA's. I wonder what their power output is? Both are fed 24V.

And yes, please stop pumping excitement. Just post a short message when the pre-order page is up. :)

Mar 4, 2014 at 2:06 PM Post #2,201 of 3,091
Oh a fellow Pittsburgher! Don't see many around here haha. I feel like people are inching closer and closer to losing their minds as the release date approaches... myself included 
eek.gif

Mar 4, 2014 at 2:24 PM Post #2,202 of 3,091
I've sold off a considerable amount of gear in the past several weeks in preparation for the new hifiman offerings. I have enough in my pp account to purchase the 560 or 400i, but of course not both. I've been convinced all along that the 400i would be my preferred signature, but like everyone else I'm waiting on the reviews to see what comes out with the final product. 

The difficult thing is that although the 560 will be out soon, we will all have to wait another month of so for the 400i to start shipping. 

I think that it's about time for the hifiman rep to jump in here and throw us a few bones to hold us over!! 

Mar 4, 2014 at 3:23 PM Post #2,204 of 3,091
  I am one as well. Not the city, but close.

Yeah same, I live north of the city! Don't mean to derail this thread but how come we never have meets? I don't think I've ever seen any news of one here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back