Hifiman HE-400i and HE-560: From CES to Pre-Launch
Feb 22, 2014 at 4:25 PM Post #2,012 of 3,091

Do you happen to know when those changes happened for the He-500. In the Battle of the Flagships topic which is from late 2012 it lists the He-500 as having no known revisions. 

http://www.head-fi.org/t/634201/battle-of-the-flagships-58-headphones-compared-update-audeze-lcd-2-revision-2-6-4-13#user_HE500

I tried looking for some articles or web-pages that lists those revisions which you list and haven't come upon anything describing those revisions or changes.

Revision typically means a very substantial change especially with sound (e.g. driver improvement or fixing a design defect) and is important enough to let everyone know. A small cosmetic change like making the cups glossy instead of matte wouldn't be deemed that at all.

As for how long ago that was, I'd say maybe the coat change was after the first year of HE500s out?

Feb 22, 2014 at 4:34 PM Post #2,013 of 3,091

Being an early adopter always has it's pros and cons, the multiple rev's of the HE400 come to mind. A special pre-order price would probably make me go for it too.

Yeah I'm a bit worried about issues with the early production versions but I'm hoping HiFiMAN has improved their quality control at this point. If the HE-560 pre-order price is like $800, I definitely won't be able to say no lol.

Feb 22, 2014 at 9:35 PM Post #2,014 of 3,091
Does HiFiMAN have a history of offering lower pre-order prices (vs. list prices) when introducing a new model?

Quote:

Yeah I'm a bit worried about issues with the early production versions but I'm hoping HiFiMAN has improved their quality control at this point. If the HE-560 pre-order price is like $800, I definitely won't be able to say no lol.

Feb 23, 2014 at 2:09 AM Post #2,020 of 3,091
  You know what would be sick!

he-500  balance
jerg pads 
lcd2 bass
hd650 smoothness
all in this frame:

To be honest, that headband just looks plain uncomfortable; hotspots galore. You need either wide heavily-padded "pillow-like" headband, or wide suspension-strap headband, for true headband comfort.

Feb 23, 2014 at 2:27 AM Post #2,021 of 3,091
  To be honest, that headband just looks plain uncomfortable; hotspots galore. You need either wide heavily-padded "pillow-like" headband, or wide suspension-strap headband, for true headband comfort.

Weight is more important, unless the headband has a very poor design, like the K-701.

The TH-600 was very comfy even though his headband looks pretty much like the Ultrasone.

Feb 23, 2014 at 2:57 AM Post #2,022 of 3,091

innerfidelity regarding the edition 10

"In hand, the first thing that struck me is how amazingly light they are. Once on the head, the headphones are light as a feather. With the sumptuous leather surrounding and caressing your head, you’ll feel like you could wear them all day without the least discomfort.
That is, until you turn the music on." 

I dont think you need a suspension strap to make a hp comfortable or thick cushion, just even weight distribution. 

Feb 23, 2014 at 3:08 AM Post #2,024 of 3,091
  innerfidelity regarding the edition 10

"In hand, the first thing that struck me is how amazingly light they are. Once on the head, the headphones are light as a feather. With the sumptuous leather surrounding and caressing your head, you’ll feel like you could wear them all day without the least discomfort.
That is, until you turn the music on." 

I dont think you need a suspension strap to make a hp comfortable or thick cushion, just even weight distribution. 

...Why not both? It is simple physics that a wider, flexible suspension strap will distribute pressure/cm^2 more evenly than a thinner, solid headband. Weight and headband ergonomics are not mutually exclusive for comfort.

Feb 23, 2014 at 3:40 AM Post #2,025 of 3,091
Nothing has ever touched the Steelseries Siberia V1 or V2 headband for me. That thing is the BAWLS. Suspension, nicely padded, plenty of give...

Suspensions style headbands are just the best idea in terms of comfort and design. As long as it has enough extension, it will alway be a perfect fit.

Of course, you have the old AKG 70x headbands, but blame the bumps and lack of extension/give that gave it horrible comfort.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back