Hifiman HE-400i and HE-560: From CES to Pre-Launch
Feb 15, 2014 at 7:28 PM Post #1,816 of 3,091
Shape, form and SOUND. Had both and they have tons of similarities. I did like the 500 a lot better though

Tons of similarities but big enough differences where it counted (to many). That's stock form, a Jergpad seems to alleviate the one giant flaw of the HE400 according to others who've made the mod; which is a dip in the upper mids right smack in the middle of the higher vocal range. That's a deal breaker to a lot of people including myself which is why I sold mine to go higher up the chain for that refined sound which Orthos are well known for and which many ortho owners rave about. Hence the HE400 being a taste of what a fantastic ortho can bring with refinement at a higher cost.

Feb 16, 2014 at 7:03 PM Post #1,818 of 3,091

Tons of similarities but big enough differences where it counted (to many). That's stock form, a Jergpad seems to alleviate the one giant flaw of the HE400 according to others who've made the mod; which is a dip in the upper mids right smack in the middle of the higher vocal range. That's a deal breaker to a lot of people including myself which is why I sold mine to go higher up the chain for that refined sound which Orthos are well known for and which many ortho owners rave about. Hence the HE400 being a taste of what a fantastic ortho can bring with refinement at a higher cost.

i c so you have had the he500 in stock form?

I would like to hear mods of it myself...

Feb 16, 2014 at 7:16 PM Post #1,820 of 3,091
Nope but I had auditioned them. Look at some FR graphs and you can see where the he400 dips in the mids. He500 does not

had them in your house on familiar equipment?

see I agree with you partially.. it is a lot more refined.. I just believe that someone who has an he400 should be perfectly fine with believing they have the real deal if they are happy with it. and not think they have just a taste. 

he400 to he500 

is as 

14 oz tbone is to 10 oz filet mignon

all are the real deal. just better versions. but nuff said its all good... we are entitled to disagreement.

Feb 16, 2014 at 7:39 PM Post #1,822 of 3,091
No I don't have frequency graphing equipment at home. Anyone that does has gone off the deep end and telling everyone it's only shallow waters..

blink.gif

what i said just means testing them out on gear (amps, DACS etc) that you have become familiar with so you can make an accurate call. ie I know the fiio x3 is dark compared to the focusrite forte I had so I would be able to accurately say through the x3 if the 400 was dark or not. Some amps you are not familiar with may be what you are hearing instead of the headphone itself. 

bought the he 400 twice here and he 500 once on familiar gear.
ne ways happy trails and we both like the he500 yay
beerchug.gif

Feb 16, 2014 at 8:09 PM Post #1,823 of 3,091
Ive A/B compared the 4s and 500s but never had the 500 in an extended period. I know the he4 well enough to know that what i was hearing through an audiogd chain very close to my home gear.

I've A/B-ed the he4 and 400s when I had both in possession but that was only a week before I sold it off..literally a week or 2 later this thread emerges. Felt like I had insiders knowledge or something as I sold it before the flood of used and clearancr drop in prices.

Feb 17, 2014 at 12:31 AM Post #1,824 of 3,091
I'm waiting for some secondhand HE-500s to arrive, but was really surprised today to read that the T1s, which are very comfortable, weigh 530g. There are quite a few complaints about the weight of the HE-500s, but they weigh less than the T1s which are widely regarded as a very comfortable headphone. If the HE-400i / 560 are going to be even lighter, they should be great, but I wonder if there was really that much need for reduced weight and perhaps better padding or headband design is the real issue (which is also being addressed).

Not questioning the new single-sided, lighter design as I doubt they'd do it if it were a step backwards, but was really surprised by the T1s weight measurements.

Feb 17, 2014 at 12:43 AM Post #1,825 of 3,091
  I'm waiting for some secondhand HE-500s to arrive, but was really surprised today to read that the T1s, which are very comfortable, weigh 530g. There are quite a few complaints about the weight of the HE-500s, but they weigh less than the T1s which are widely regarded as a very comfortable headphone. If the HE-400i / 560 are going to be even lighter, they should be great, but I wonder if there was really that much need for reduced weight and perhaps better padding or headband design is the real issue (which is also being addressed).

Not questioning the new single-sided, lighter design as I doubt they'd do it if it were a step backwards, but was really surprised by the T1s weight measurements.

I'm pretty sure the T1 themselves excluding cable weight is about 350g, whereas the HE-500 is about 500g....so the new HE-series cans will be closer to the T1 and similar dynamics in weight.  The biggest benefit of the headband revision is weight distribution, as a suspension type headband tends to be superior at this, and will also contribute to them feeling lighter as a result.

Feb 17, 2014 at 10:59 AM Post #1,829 of 3,091
To me Hifiman is doing extremely well in terms of innovation. IMO reducing weight and pressure is first thing to consider.
I was Audeze fanboy but I will be collecting the new HE series as soon as it comes out.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back