Hifiman HE-400i and HE-560: From CES to Pre-Launch
Feb 14, 2014 at 6:09 PM Post #1,771 of 3,091
Feb 14, 2014 at 6:20 PM Post #1,772 of 3,091
I do miss him ;/
I am not saying they're top mastered, but his songs always had great vocals and a good PRaT.
In my book at least.

Feb 14, 2014 at 6:23 PM Post #1,773 of 3,091
Feb 14, 2014 at 6:32 PM Post #1,776 of 3,091

Not quite what I meant, but that could work...
Can't tell if that was just a punny post or not

punny 
tongue.gif

Feb 14, 2014 at 8:52 PM Post #1,777 of 3,091

Correct. I'll be using them with the S.E.X. and Mainline amps from Bottlehead.

I don't see why this would be an issue. None of the current HE line (or Audeze line up or any planar dynamic currently in production for that matter) have crazy impedance curves that you need to watch out for.  Check out Tyll's measurements.  Power output may come into question (considering the higher sensitivity that may not be an issue either...), but impedance matching shouldn't really be on your radar for these headphones.

Feb 14, 2014 at 9:00 PM Post #1,778 of 3,091

I don't see why this would be an issue. None of the current HE line (or Audeze line up or any planar dynamic currently in production for that matter) have crazy impedance curves that you need to watch out for.  Check out Tyll's measurements.  Power output may come into question (considering the higher sensitivity that may not be an issue either...), but impedance matching shouldn't really be on your radar for these headphones.

Should be fine. Neither of them are OTL designs. Now synergy is a different matter. 

Feb 14, 2014 at 9:17 PM Post #1,779 of 3,091
I remember Tyll saying that Crack is about 70 Ohms and suited for high empedance headphones. (And I believe that was the first version. Current version must be about 120 Ohms) Empedance of the HE-560 won't be more than the 38 Ohms of the HE-500 I presume.

Feb 14, 2014 at 9:28 PM Post #1,780 of 3,091
I remember Tyll saying that Crack is about 70 Ohms and suited for high empedance headphones. (And I believe that was the first version. Current version must be about 120 Ohms) Empedance of the HE-560 won't be more than the 38 Ohms of the HE-500 I presume.

While true, you also have to take into account the actual impedance curve of the headphone.  Current planar dynamics have seriously flat impedance curves, so flat that they really do not care what the output impedance of the amplifier is.  Really, go to innerfidelity and look up Tyll's measurements.  Compare the impedance curve of say, the he-500 vs the hd-800.  The graphs are exaggerated because the measurements are done with an output impedance of 600 ohms, but it gives you a clear idea of how different headphones behave.

It's not so cut and dry as most people around here make it out to be.  Some people may even PREFER what an impedance mismatch does to a particular headphone.

Feb 14, 2014 at 9:45 PM Post #1,781 of 3,091

The Crack is a totally different amp than the Mainline and the SEX. I believe Loquah was referring to the latter. 

Feb 14, 2014 at 11:32 PM Post #1,783 of 3,091
Yeah, beyond reviews, I'll definitely wait some time for revisions. Probably till the Fall at least, should be able to hear them then.

Feb 14, 2014 at 11:45 PM Post #1,784 of 3,091
HE-500 is not only a great sounding headphone (I chose it over Lcd2 and HD800) but also an amazing deal at $600. But honestly, the sound quality deserved a better design. I think they addressed this shortcoming with the HE-560. People say that it feels like a well designed, ergonomic, proper headphone, as opposed to a hand made contraption. Even if they kept the sound the same, considering the weight savings, it'll be worth it.

Feb 15, 2014 at 12:03 AM Post #1,785 of 3,091
All of this talk about weight, weight, weight. I'm a 5'4" 130 lbs guy, and I can wear my HE-400 all day without any breaks and feel no strain. I think some of you guys need to work on your posture, or something. I mean, there are people in world who are carrying >10 lbs baskets on their heads for extended periods of time. If you're feeling pressure pain at the top of your head after a while, then you must have very little hair. I have a head full of thick hair, which helps to distributes the weight much better. A 100 grams less may take care of that issue for you, but I think limiting the weight of headphones to 400 grams, at the expense of other aspects of design that could contribute to better sound quality, isn't justified for users like myself.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back