Hifiman HE-400i and HE-560: From CES to Pre-Launch
Feb 14, 2014 at 5:18 AM Post #1,756 of 3,091
Not sure if you guys have seen this, or if someone had posted it earlier.

Quote:
 ~~Every planar magnetic driver I've seen is a "sandwich" of two magnetized metal stators with a plastic diaphragm in between. When an audio signal passes through the wire voice coil that's applied to the plastic, the diaphragm moves forward and backward in the stators' magnetic field. The HE-400i and HE-560 differ in that they use just one stator per driver.

It would appear that the HE-400i and HE-560 are now running the 1/2 magnet structure like the HE-4?  This is what could attribute greatly to the lesser weight of the two models.

Source: http://stereos.about.com/od/Audio-Shows/ss/CES-2014-New-Audiophile-Headphones_3.htm

Feb 14, 2014 at 5:31 AM Post #1,757 of 3,091
I think it's been mentioned a while back that they are single-sided like the HE-4 and the pricey Abyss.

This makes me happy, because I distinctly remember people bitching that the HE-4 wasn't worthwhile because it wasn't a real planarmagnetic. Now we have an incredibly high end planar, and the new HFM line-up. justifies the HE-4 completely. :D

Feb 14, 2014 at 5:43 AM Post #1,758 of 3,091
I guess it'only fair since there are now 88 pages on this thread but wow you're late to the party! They are all SE and surely if they have any resemblance sonically to the he4 they will be excellent headphones.
It would appear that the HE-400i and HE-560 are now running the 1/2 magnet structure like the HE-4?  This is what could attribute greatly to the lesser weight of the two models.

Source: http://stereos.about.com/od/Audio-Shows/ss/CES-2014-New-Audiophile-Headphones_3.htm

Does anyone know of the new models are coming with felt over the driver for dampening/tuning

Feb 14, 2014 at 8:39 AM Post #1,759 of 3,091
A model like the 5LE is fairly light because it only has a couple of bars of magnets on the inside, but many bars of magnets on the outside. So I guess it's semi single sided

Feb 14, 2014 at 11:04 AM Post #1,760 of 3,091
If you ever get the chance to try the HD800s with the Bottlehead Mainline I think you'll be pleasantly surprised - think Crack's smooth and full bottom end with plenty of treble extension (and smoother than the Crack's treble too). I have T1s rather than HD800s, but it gives me tactile and visceral plus air (although not quite as much air as the S.E.X., but the S.E.x. doesn't have as much oomph down low)

I'm really looking forward to hearing the HE-500s with the Bottlehead range and then to go to the HE-560 for a different flavour again.

I want the Mainline eventually. Right now I'm mulling over the Questyle CMA 800R. It's supposed to be perfect for the HD800, and should provide a different flavor over my Bottlehead gear. More airy and detail oriented since it's solid state.

Feb 14, 2014 at 12:45 PM Post #1,761 of 3,091
I want the Mainline eventually. Right now I'm mulling over the Questyle CMA 800R. It's supposed to be perfect for the HD800, and should provide a different flavor over my Bottlehead gear. More airy and detail oriented since it's solid state.

Questyle CMA 800R is $999 at ********. :) Very tempting ...
Either that or HDVDV800.

Feb 14, 2014 at 12:55 PM Post #1,762 of 3,091

Questyle CMA 800R is $999 at ******.
smily_headphones1.gif
Very tempting ...
Either that or HDVDV800.

Careful...I don't think you can mention that site here. I'll delete it from the quote for ya.

Feb 14, 2014 at 12:56 PM Post #1,763 of 3,091
^ Careful on the mention of that website. Group buys aren't allowed to be mentioned. But I know and that's why I'm asking about that amp. :)

Feb 14, 2014 at 1:02 PM Post #1,764 of 3,091
Careful...I don't think you can mention that site here. I'll delete it from the quote for ya.

Opps, really ? is that what ******** agreement ? i have to delete it then, Sorry guys.

Feb 14, 2014 at 5:00 PM Post #1,765 of 3,091
I guess it'only fair since there are now 88 pages on this thread but wow you're late to the party! They are all SE and surely if they have any resemblance sonically to the he4 they will be excellent headphones.
Does anyone know of the new models are coming with felt over the driver for dampening/tuning

I don't recall seeing much around the confirmed implementation details.  Since they took the Jerg/Modulor research into account with the ear pads, though, might be an indication that they're taking in more from popular mods as feedback for their R&D, so we can always hope.  Felt mod does seem like a pain.

Someone can correct me if I'm wrong, but I can't recall if we ever got solid confirmation that the single-sided implementation is w/ magnets outside (HE-4) or inside (Abyss) the diaphragm.  We're probably all assuming outside, but the better case for inside seems pretty intuitive, too.  The positives from the felt & grill mods would seem to support that.

Feb 14, 2014 at 5:30 PM Post #1,766 of 3,091
If you ever get the chance to try the HD800s with the Bottlehead Mainline I think you'll be pleasantly surprised - think Crack's smooth and full bottom end with plenty of treble extension (and smoother than the Crack's treble too). I have T1s rather than HD800s, but it gives me tactile and visceral plus air (although not quite as much air as the S.E.X., but the S.E.x. doesn't have as much oomph down low)

I'm really looking forward to hearing the HE-500s with the Bottlehead range and then to go to the HE-560 for a different flavour again.

Hifiman headphones will probably be poor match with the Bottlehead Crack because of the impedance mismatch.

Feb 14, 2014 at 5:42 PM Post #1,767 of 3,091
Hifiman headphones will probably be poor match with the Bottlehead Crack because of the impedance mismatch.

HE500 + crack = not so good.  I can confirm this.

HD800/crack = good.
tongue.gif

Feb 14, 2014 at 5:48 PM Post #1,768 of 3,091

HE500 + crack = not so good.  I can confirm this.

HD800/crack = good.
tongue.gif

HE-400 with Crack also not so good.

HD 650 with crack = stunning. :wink:

Feb 14, 2014 at 5:49 PM Post #1,770 of 3,091
I thought crack made everything amazing. Oh right, that was MJ not crack..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back