Hifiman HE-400i and HE-560: From CES to Pre-Launch
Jan 7, 2014 at 5:29 PM Post #46 of 3,091
  I wonder how these will compare to the ESP-950's, considering these new headphones are light and reportedly sound like 'stats. I remember when you could get a set of 950's for a bit more than the price of the 400i, but growing popularity has increased their price to closer to the 560's. If these can sound like 950's but without the inconsistencies they'll be killer headphones!

I doubt they can deliver 'stat like treble.

Jan 7, 2014 at 5:32 PM Post #47 of 3,091
I wish Steve was a bit less vague with his quick impressions. I hope "fuller bass balance than the HE-400i" doesn't mean bassier than the HE500. I wouldn't be the biggest fan of more bass, but I am excited to read that they're clearer, because that was one of my main issues with the HE500.

Jan 7, 2014 at 5:33 PM Post #48 of 3,091

Well the HE-6 has an amazing treble. Why not these?
But I agree. Let's wait.
Should there be any demo tour, I'd be totally in!

Jan 7, 2014 at 6:34 PM Post #51 of 3,091

I have my doubts too, but I haven't heard them so I can't really say. Steve Guttenburg, who has had a chance to listen to them commented that "Some experienced audiophiles may think these two new HiFiMans' sound is close to what you might get from the better electrostatic headphones", which is what I was commenting on. I do think he can be hyperbolic at times (and yes, that link to an article about the Woo WES and SR-007 is actually part of his article), but his are the only ears-on report I've seen so far.

Jan 7, 2014 at 6:41 PM Post #52 of 3,091
Look forward to trying the HE-560 in due course, will be keeping an eye on these for sure.

Jan 7, 2014 at 6:42 PM Post #53 of 3,091
  Well I guess I'll put a hold on purchasing the HE-6 as that HE-560 is looking mighty tempting.

You know that cuz of the price, HE-560 will not be qualified as "summit-fi", right? 
biggrin.gif

Jan 7, 2014 at 6:47 PM Post #54 of 3,091
Passing on the thoughts of a friend of mine, the massive weight reduction is mightly suspect for a switch to the "single-ended" driver design as present in the HE-400.

IF that's true, it's a movement towards lowering production cost while effectively changing the linearity of the magnetic field.

I'm curious as to what the difference in sound is. Too many times has Hifiman changed headphone design (HE-5 --> HE-500, HE-6 prototype --> HE-6) to make production more reliable, with less failures, but at the same time lowering cost (and dare I say, eye-candy) of the components. I'm personally more in support of a company that stands by its original vision for a product and make them work rather than trying to make things easier for themselves.

RIP

Nevertheless, I'm a huge Hifiman fan and I'm equally excited about the new products as with many others here. My suspicions are just suspicions and should not be taken as fact..

Jan 7, 2014 at 7:10 PM Post #56 of 3,091

I'm curious as to what the difference in sound is. Too many times has Hifiman changed headphone design (HE-5 --> HE-500, HE-6 prototype --> HE-6) to make production more reliable, with less failures,

HE-500 came after the HE-6. It was originally called the HE-6p (P for portable). And the single sided magnet has been done before (HE-4).

Jan 7, 2014 at 8:09 PM Post #58 of 3,091
SUBBED! Very interesting!

Jan 7, 2014 at 8:14 PM Post #60 of 3,091
lol interestinggg. kinda sad because i just got the he400s, but this is kinda exciting. the design isn't very pretty tho, but hell who cares. lol

i think if hifiman just came out with their own memory foam cushion for the headpad, it would solve all the comfort issues that people have for their planar magnetics. all their designs are the same throughout model lines, so it should be pretty chill & easy to do.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back