Hifiman HE-400i and HE-560: From CES to Pre-Launch
Jan 7, 2014 at 4:30 PM Post #31 of 3,091
CNet pics are headphones with our current earpad. But we did make new earpads for them and we are showing new earpads in CES. We appreciate jorg's research about earpads.

Wow! That's a great thing to read!

@jerg, congrats! Looks like all your efforts have paid-off! Are you mass-producing pads for Mr. Fang now? Just kidding.
biggrin.gif

Jan 7, 2014 at 4:31 PM Post #32 of 3,091
That headband looks pretty goofy (I think the more round shape you get from something like the SR-009 looks nicer), but I'm really glad a planar magnetic company is working to reduce weight, especially considering Audeze's new headphones are *insanely* heavy (but oh so wonderful sounding). And since he's in the thread, thank you Feng for working to fix the weight issues on planar magnetic headphones. They're my favorite headphone driver type but the weight really kills me!

To put the weight into perspective: 
The HE-400i is 360g 
The HE-560 is 380g
The HE-400 is 440g
The HE-500 is 502g
The LCD-X is 600g
The LCD-XC is 650g

Jan 7, 2014 at 4:35 PM Post #34 of 3,091

CNet pics are headphones with our current earpad. But we did make new earpads for them and we are showing new earpads in CES. We appreciate jorg's jerg's research about earpads.

Fixed it for you Fang. Haha

I couldn't help correct it in my post as well. Didn't high-light it though.

Jan 7, 2014 at 4:46 PM Post #36 of 3,091
Subbed 
cool.gif
 New headband and weight seems more ergonomical which is definitely good news.  I like the look and also interested to check out the new pad design...it would be cool if the headband and pads were 'backwards compatible' with previous models too.

Jan 7, 2014 at 4:48 PM Post #37 of 3,091
I might keep an eye on these....the weight is what turns me off on many headphones...yikes, these only weigh about half as much as and LCD-XC

Jan 7, 2014 at 4:56 PM Post #38 of 3,091
new earpads and "transparent as electrostats"= me splurging for these on release date probably :)
when will they be available?

Jan 7, 2014 at 4:57 PM Post #39 of 3,091
not to mention the He-560 has a "6" in the name ....i'm getting smiles thinking about it

Jan 7, 2014 at 4:58 PM Post #40 of 3,091
Does the "i" on the HE400 means it might have a headphone volume controller/mic?

I'm guessing like Grado, "The i stands for improved!"

Jan 7, 2014 at 5:00 PM Post #41 of 3,091

Does the "i" on the HE400 means it might have a headphone volume controller/mic?

I'm guessing like Grado, "The i stands for improved!"

I kinda see your point. Perhaps it is to replace the HE-400. That'd make sense as it seems more like an entry level planar magnetic (as the he400 was supposed to be).

Jan 7, 2014 at 5:09 PM Post #42 of 3,091
As always pre-release hype should be balanced. The reduced weight is a good thing but there is more to comfort than being lightweight as light headphones with vice-like clamping are not comfortable. The Stax comment should be taken with a grain of salt. The headband is goofy but open headphones are for home listening, so the public won't see the goofy cybermen-like appearance, nor your families laughter at you. I personally don't care about goofy if it makes them more comfortable.

It's nice to see that Hifiman aren't going to need to bundle a Neck-strengthening workout DVD with their headphones like Audeze has too.

Jan 7, 2014 at 5:12 PM Post #43 of 3,091
I'm being much too tempted by the HE560, especially since I was about to buy an HE500...and I can't even really justify selling all my gear for this without hearing it. Fang, will you be doing a tour for these like you did with the HE500 (which I partook in)? If so, I'd be totally in!

Jan 7, 2014 at 5:17 PM Post #44 of 3,091
i'd be very interested too!  i've already banged on the 400 enough so i probably wouldn't get picked but hey, i have respect for them too and keep an open mind

Jan 7, 2014 at 5:25 PM Post #45 of 3,091
I wonder how these will compare to the ESP-950's, considering these new headphones are light and reportedly sound like 'stats. I remember when you could get a set of 950's for a bit more than the price of the 400i, but growing popularity has increased their price to closer to the 560's. If these can sound like 950's but without the inconsistencies they'll be killer headphones!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back