Hifiman He-400 or He-500?
Jul 22, 2013 at 8:05 PM Post #91 of 510
Quote:
Hello, just joined the forum as I am in the same boat as the OP.

I was going to order the HE-400 + Senn HD600 (or HD650) do to some A/B comparisons. My current setup is Ultrasone Pro550. Output is PC > toslink > e17 > 1/8" jack. Music files are in various mp3 format, but of late been moving to FLAC with higher bitrates.

My music tastes have been changing from hip-hop/rap to more vocal and instrumental music. Songs that have real weight to the vocals.

I guess my question goes along the lines of comparison with the OP. What is the real diff between these two cans besides the $300 NIB price?

My upgrade plan was new cans, then Schiit Asgard 2 or Lyr and finally bifrost. I dont intend to go into the high-end headphone realm as I am also a big movie buff and the wife will only let me bankrupt us so much, so leaving some $$$ for the home theater is important.

All that aside I guess from reading this thread it sounds like the HE-500 will scale better than the HE-400. With my intended amp/dac future purchase and my current setup, would the HE-500 REALLY be worth it, knowing that the future purchase would likely be my last setup? Again I want one of the Hifiman cans to compare to the Senns. Would the better pairings be HE-400/HD600, HE-500/HD-650?

Appreciate your time.

Everything that can be said, has been said here. Read the thread and you will be enlightened.

Jul 22, 2013 at 9:26 PM Post #92 of 510
Quote:
Hello, just joined the forum as I am in the same boat as the OP.

I was going to order the HE-400 + Senn HD600 (or HD650) do to some A/B comparisons. My current setup is Ultrasone Pro550. Output is PC > toslink > e17 > 1/8" jack. Music files are in various mp3 format, but of late been moving to FLAC with higher bitrates.

My music tastes have been changing from hip-hop/rap to more vocal and instrumental music. Songs that have real weight to the vocals.

I guess my question goes along the lines of comparison with the OP. What is the real diff between these two cans besides the $300 NIB price?

My upgrade plan was new cans, then Schiit Asgard 2 or Lyr and finally bifrost. I dont intend to go into the high-end headphone realm as I am also a big movie buff and the wife will only let me bankrupt us so much, so leaving some $$$ for the home theater is important.

All that aside I guess from reading this thread it sounds like the HE-500 will scale better than the HE-400. With my intended amp/dac future purchase and my current setup, would the HE-500 REALLY be worth it, knowing that the future purchase would likely be my last setup? Again I want one of the Hifiman cans to compare to the Senns. Would the better pairings be HE-400/HD600, HE-500/HD-650?

Appreciate your time.

If you plan to end of with the lyr/bf, you'd save yourself money and have the best by purchasing the he500. The he500 will be very good with bass oriented music like rap and hip hop and then it will rock your socks off with vocals with the lifelike mids. 

Of course you may always be curious about the he400 and what it actually sounds like. Most people around here have an appreciation for the journey. Start at the bottom with what you can afford, use it for a while, sell it and then buy something better. That way you get to find out for yourself what criteria are really the most important to you. It just may surprise you to find out what you like best. I was caught a bit off guard at how important comfort and weight were for me in end. I ended up with the he-4 mainly because they are the lightest of the hifiman hp's...and they sound pretty good also. 
size]

Ask for advice, but end the end make the decision that you feel is best for you. Enjoy the journey!! 

Jul 23, 2013 at 12:28 AM Post #93 of 510
If you're coming from a soundcard driving DT880, the HE-400 will be AMAZING for you, especially if you get it with the Magni/Modi combo. Your jaw will drop and the heavens will open up as angels descend singing in glorious harmony. After a month of this you might start to notice some flaws and then you'll be hungry for the HE-500 or maybe not. Who knows, but yeah either way it's going to be a win for you IMO, so do whatever makes you feel good. It's not like you're comparing Beats Studios to the HE-500.

Wow... I had my he400 before my DT880 600ohm but I was never un-wowed by the dt880. They sounded quite different and to be compared that way imo it's a bit unfairly to either headphones! :wink:

Jul 23, 2013 at 12:40 AM Post #94 of 510
Quote:
Wow... I had my he400 before my DT880 600ohm but I was never un-wowed by the dt880. They sounded quite different and to be compared that way imo it's a bit unfairly to either headphones!
wink.gif

So the HE-400 is unnecessary. The man should keep his DT880s and drive them off his sound card. Question answered!

Jul 23, 2013 at 12:49 AM Post #95 of 510
Quote:
So the HE-400 is unnecessary. The man should keep his DT880s and drive them off his sound card. Question answered!

Lol, seems as if I'm getting the He-500 though! So SIKE! :)

Jul 23, 2013 at 12:50 AM Post #96 of 510
Quote:
Lol, seems as if I'm getting the He-500 though! So SIKE! :)

Welcome to the club. Now save up for the Magni/Modi or get the Emotiva/Modi and you'll be pretty happy I think.

Personally speaking. I think the HE-500 is the dog's balls. I chose it over all the cans listed in my profile.

Jul 23, 2013 at 12:51 AM Post #97 of 510
Quote:
Welcome to the club. Now save up for the Magni/Modi or get the Emotiva/Modi and you'll be pretty happy I think.

That's what I'm planning on doing! 
size]

Going to purchase a pair from Amazon. 
They're labeled as Like-New so I'm guessing that they will be in fantastic condition and are only priced at $615

Jul 23, 2013 at 1:45 AM Post #98 of 510
That's what I'm planning on doing! 
size]

Going to purchase a pair from Amazon. 
They're labeled as Like-New so I'm guessing that they will be in fantastic condition and are only priced at $615

I got mine from amazon in "like new" condition and I couldn't even tell that it wasn't brand new.

Jul 23, 2013 at 2:45 AM Post #99 of 510
Jul 23, 2013 at 2:54 AM Post #100 of 510
I got mine from amazon in "like new" condition and I couldn't even tell that it wasn't brand new.
how's the he500 with the magni? Do you think it powers it enough? Do you get much more from the lyr?

Jul 23, 2013 at 3:22 AM Post #101 of 510
Quote:
how's the he500 with the magni? Do you think it powers it enough? Do you get much more from the lyr?

if you are a bit strapped on cash you can just get the Asgard original and upgrade it later. It still sounds great from it. Also you may want to look into trying the he500 with emotiva100x speaker amp. The amp only costs $189 and sounds fantastic.

Jul 23, 2013 at 3:46 AM Post #102 of 510

Magni works quite well with the HE-500. With the Lyr it keeps much of the same tone and character but sounstage layering, center stage image and instrument separation are greatly improved. It also brings a liquid- like quality to the mids. If I didn't have the Lyr, I could definitely still enjoy my HE-500 with the Magni.

Jul 23, 2013 at 4:20 AM Post #103 of 510
I have tried the he500's with the BCL , they sounded quite fantastic even though I did not enjoy the treble , being softened up I think they are still a bit bright , they do sound excellent when  running low (IMO)
That pair belonged to a person on "Headphiles" not on "Head - Fi"

Jul 23, 2013 at 3:57 PM Post #104 of 510
Thanks for the opinion MattTCG. I think I will get the HE-400 and compare to the HD600. If I like the sound of the Hifiman I'll look at demoing the HE-500.

Jul 24, 2013 at 1:10 AM Post #105 of 510
I've forgotten about this headphone, but how do the Thunderpants compare?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back