**Hifiman HE-400 Impressions and Discussion Thread**
Oct 24, 2013 at 3:34 PM Post #13,951 of 22,116
I don't know if it's my brain adjusting to the headphones as Thujone pointed out, but they seem to sound significantly better than when I first put them on. I can firmly say that at this moment in time I am totally in love! There seems to be something special about the planar technology. So much detail and everything just sounds so much more natural than what I'm used to with the dynamics I've tried. They also have this effortless quality with the music that feels so reassuring.

It looks like my wallet it's headed for a battering I'm afraid. Though I'm enjoying these so much that I'm thinking how much better can it get?

I've got to add that I actually like the aesthetics of the 'phone and after initial slight discomfort, these seem to somehow disappear after a while so long as you keep your head still. Tilt your head though and their weight remind you that you have half a kilo attached to you head. 
tongue.gif

Oct 24, 2013 at 4:09 PM Post #13,952 of 22,116
I think he meant to say that he'll get the Emotiva IF his SX 727 doesn't sound right. I don't think he meant to say there was anything wrong with it.

That's correct sir, my 727 is re capped

Oct 24, 2013 at 4:10 PM Post #13,953 of 22,116
  I don't know if it's my brain adjusting to the headphones as Thujone pointed out, but they seem to sound significantly better than when I first put them on. I can firmly say that at this moment in time I am totally in love! There seems to be something special about the planar technology. So much detail and everything just sounds so much more natural than what I'm used to with the dynamics I've tried. They also have this effortless quality with the music that feels so reassuring.

It looks like my wallet it's headed for a battering I'm afraid. Though I'm enjoying these so much that I'm thinking how much better can it get?

I've got to add that I actually like the aesthetics of the 'phone and after initial slight discomfort, these seem to somehow disappear after a while so long as you keep your head still. Tilt your head though and their weight remind you that you have half a kilo attached to you head. 
tongue.gif

Now you need to mod the pads and EQ them

Oct 24, 2013 at 4:11 PM Post #13,954 of 22,116
I
For some reason I find that metal and rock just sound better on IEM's.... Some over ears are good as well....

I do like my re400 on rock and metal

Oct 24, 2013 at 6:20 PM Post #13,955 of 22,116
I have got electri ! working using the effect chainer and made an EQ.....

However when it is playing it seems to fluctuate the volume? For example it sounds like it is normalising it.... The song will start then when the bass starts the volume will go lower etc..... How do I disable this please?

Oct 24, 2013 at 7:47 PM Post #13,956 of 22,116
Funny conversations going on.

I agree with the "laid back" sound - when it means that the HE-400s seem to handle anything you throw at it with ease. It is especially apparent when the bass gets deep and heavy. No sense of compression or strain like I am used to when I push smaller dynamic drivers hard.

As for those that think the HE's aren't that great with rock . . . whataya crazee? The speed, detail, and brightness are all PERFECT for rock if you ask me. Its a big reason the old HD-595s were cut out of my listening rotation - they really needed a stronger bass floor and a bit more treble. I also think headphones tend to benefit from a little softness in the 2-6khz range. Unless they are 'flat', those freqs seem to bother me more than others.

Anyway, its October, so I am listening to a lot of Type-O Negative. October Rust and Life is Killing me are Awesome. There is little bass in the tracks, so they tend to sound their best with speakers that are accurate. Unlike LOTS of my rock CDs, they are actually well produced and have lots of fun effects and ambiance at times.

Try the Black Crowes "croweology" and just try and tell me it wasn't awesome (though, the channel separation is sometimes too extreme for headphone guys - its cooler with a good stereo).
wink_face.gif

While I am at it, Jack White's Blunderbuss is pretty badass.
I also love Metric on the HE-400s, and Kasabian is usually pretty awesome when I am in the mood.

I agree that the HE-400s aren't PERFECT with rock, but I've heard much worse. I personally think that good rock phones have got to be fast, flat, and bright - with really good mid-bass.

What's everyone's favorite rock albums to test headphones with?

Oct 24, 2013 at 8:46 PM Post #13,957 of 22,116
Anyway, its October, so I am listening to a lot of Type-O Negative. October Rust and Life is Killing me are Awesome. There is little bass in the tracks, so they tend to sound their best with speakers that are accurate. Unlike LOTS of my rock CDs, they are actually well produced and have lots of fun effects and ambiance at times.

Try the Black Crowes "croweology" and just try and tell me it wasn't awesome (though, the channel separation is sometimes too extreme for headphone guys - its cooler with a good stereo). :wink_face:

I also love Metric on the HE-400s, and Kasabian is usually pretty awesome when I am in the mood.

I agree that the HE-400s aren't PERFECT with rock, but I've heard much worse. I personally think that good rock phones have got to be fast, flat, and bright - with really good mid-bass.

Awesome type o negative albums, I use Porcupine trees in absentia.. .aaaamazing band

Oct 24, 2013 at 9:00 PM Post #13,958 of 22,116

I agree with the "laid back" sound - when it means that the HE-400s seem to handle anything you throw at it with ease. It is especially apparent when the bass gets deep and heavy. No sense of compression or strain like I am used to when I push smaller dynamic drivers hard.

As for those that think the HE's aren't that great with rock . . . whataya crazee? The speed, detail, and brightness are all PERFECT for rock if you ask me. Its a big reason the old HD-595s were cut out of my listening rotation - they really needed a stronger bass floor and a bit more treble. I also think headphones tend to benefit from a little softness in the 2-6khz range. Unless they are 'flat', those freqs seem to bother me more than others.

Try the Black Crowes "croweology" and just try and tell me it wasn't awesome (though, the channel separation is sometimes too extreme for headphone guys - its cooler with a good stereo).
wink_face.gif

i have several for my he500:

after forever
amasefer
anathema
angeldark
anna phoebe
arakain
edenbridge
evanescence
haggard
lacrimosa
magni animi viri
nightwish
rage
rammstein
rhapsody of fire
secret spere
septic flesh
tarja turunen
tvangste
two steps from hell
unheilig
within temptation
xystus

i dont like all of their songs..just two or more songs or just one.....and every one of the songs i chose from these groups make u shiver on the he500... lolz

Oct 24, 2013 at 9:09 PM Post #13,960 of 22,116
Someone please start tinkering with the he400 driver itself...what's the difference internally between it and the 500? Is it the magnet array? Or the "diaphragm" or whatever it is on a planar. Sorry not to up to speed on the science behind it all. Just wondering. Could there be a way to make a change to the housing or to the drivers themselves, to get the treble to soothe out, and to get some lush lush mids. I believe there would be some loss of lower end if this happened...but itd be a hell of a find if someone did it. We need lff to do this but let the secret free for us all to try. I get why he wouldbt, it be a ton of r&d and probably some dead drivers. But like I said in the jergpad forum, if the measly t50 driver can be such a monster, what is this he400 capable of?

Oct 24, 2013 at 9:12 PM Post #13,961 of 22,116
For one, the tracings aren't fully covering the he-400 diaphragm like they do on he-500.  The treble thing is probably a combination of less precise damping and driver tuning-- most likely more along the tuning front said they did flat out say the he-400 was tuned for american sound.

Oct 24, 2013 at 9:25 PM Post #13,962 of 22,116
  For one, the tracings aren't fully covering the he-400 diaphragm like they do on he-500.  The treble thing is probably a combination of less precise damping and driver tuning-- most likely more along the tuning front said they did flat out say the he-400 was tuned for american sound.

yes i heard also the rumor the he400 was specific tuned for the american market...and so more agressive then their other cans (maybe to compete with the very popular grado's in the states?)

Oct 24, 2013 at 9:31 PM Post #13,963 of 22,116
It's not even really a rumor.  I don't think they were tuned in mind with the same type of aggressive nature as the Grados. The two are polar opposites when it comes to the most prominent part of perceivable sound to our ears-- the upper midrange.  

What Fang did say though was they tuned it to be more akin to the JBL line of speakers.

Oct 24, 2013 at 9:44 PM Post #13,964 of 22,116
Ya I remember reading the same things . So how does one tune the driver so to say? Is there anything possible to be done here?

Oct 24, 2013 at 9:57 PM Post #13,965 of 22,116

wink_face.gif

I really like Croweology. It's a very acoustic set of some great BC's tunes. Great music to kick back with. 

All time favorite rock album to test with is AIC: Unplugged. 
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back