**Hifiman HE-400 Impressions and Discussion Thread**
Oct 1, 2013 at 7:55 PM Post #13,247 of 22,116
  Hmm. I guess I'll go jegger-pad mod my Alpha pads. Why not? Everyone loves sub bass!

SERIOUSLY, although it's only noticeable with slower bass songs, listening to Core N Bass [like what I linked] had really almost no noticeable positive or negative effect 

Oct 2, 2013 at 4:53 AM Post #13,248 of 22,116
  WHERE can I order some Jegger Pads :O I just had a revelation! Pull the ear cups like 1mm away from ur ears and OMG THE FREAKING SUB BASS EXPLODES... what the hell Hifiman why would you DENY me such WONDERFUL SUB BASS 

Or better yet I could make some kind of Jegger Hybrid J$money pad

Yea where is the link to the JeggerPad Mod, so I can mod my J$Money pads 

The sub bass doesn't explode.. Is probably decreased. It's perhaps more like the mid/low bass. When you do such a thing, you create something like a mid/low bass 'hump'. If you want a similar effect, I think you should consider doing the venting mod, as that will loosen the bass a little

Must... resist.. urge..to...!
^They are called 'Jergulors' btw

Oct 2, 2013 at 7:07 AM Post #13,249 of 22,116
  The sub bass doesn't explode.. Is probably decreased. It's perhaps more like the mid/low bass. When you do such a thing, you create something like a mid/low bass 'hump'. If you want a similar effect, I think you should consider doing the venting mod, as that will loosen the bass a little

Must... resist.. urge..to...!
^They are called 'Jergulors' btw

Actually what it is, is resonnance. TOok me a while but after listening to it, you could hear it was like a echo, I assume it's the bass echoing off the top of the pads or something, and yea it did loosen the bass a smidge, but you could only really hear it with a "loose" bass line. All my Core n Bass stuff is too tight for there to be any differeance 

Oct 2, 2013 at 8:48 AM Post #13,251 of 22,116
^^ I think that's because you're covering the cups. 
tongue.gif
 JK...come on...JK. 
biggrin.gif

Oct 2, 2013 at 8:51 AM Post #13,253 of 22,116
  ^^ I think that's because you're covering the cups. 
tongue.gif
 JK...come on...JK. 
biggrin.gif

I forget where I saw it but some guy ran some measurements on a planar with and without the grills covered by his hand.  It's pretty amusing what the FR looked like when the grills were covered-- like a TH900 or Pro900 in the mids-- all peaky and dippy.

Oct 2, 2013 at 9:08 AM Post #13,254 of 22,116
Lifting the cups away from the ears slightly (WITHOUT having your hand conveniently blocking the grills) really does 2 things from what I observed, 1) it creates a bass hump between 50-100 Hz and a quick roll-off below 50 Hz, 2) it raises upper midrange/treble, and not in a good smooth way either.

Oct 2, 2013 at 9:14 AM Post #13,255 of 22,116
It is most significant with pleathers as I remember.

Oct 2, 2013 at 9:18 AM Post #13,256 of 22,116
  When I lift the pads off my ears a cm or two all I really hear is a decrease in mids and highs, not an increase in bass.

WOW a decrease in minds and highs is precived as an increase in bass! Nice going there :3 restating what I said in your own way! 
  Lifting the cups away from the ears slightly (WITHOUT having your hand conveniently blocking the grills) really does 2 things from what I observed, 1) it creates a bass hump between 50-100 Hz and a quick roll-off below 50 Hz, 2) it raises upper midrange/treble, and not in a good smooth way either.

yea the more I did it the more I noticed that, although I only lifted the pads with the EQ on, the eq drops the mids and treble and UPS the Sub Bass, so lol with the EQ off it sounded bad 

Oct 2, 2013 at 9:59 AM Post #13,257 of 22,116

WOW a decrease in minds and highs is precived as an increase in bass! Nice going there :3 restating what I said in your own way! 

It's only an increase if you turn your volume up to match what you had before with the earpads firmly on your ears!  
redface.gif

Oct 2, 2013 at 11:04 AM Post #13,258 of 22,116

It's only an increase if you turn your volume up to match what you had before with the earpads firmly on your ears!  
redface.gif

true enough ;3 

Oct 2, 2013 at 1:21 PM Post #13,259 of 22,116

for me is good...for the moment I leave it
when they arrive the J$pads and toxic cables (white widow) I see the result

Oct 2, 2013 at 1:33 PM Post #13,260 of 22,116

for me is good...for the moment I leave it
when they arrive the J$pads and toxic cables (white widow) I see the result

indeed let me now what you think! What is the build of your calbe. I've got a silver Copper Hybrid 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back