**Hifiman HE-400 Impressions and Discussion Thread**
Sep 29, 2013 at 9:03 PM Post #13,157 of 22,116
A few track names and people with the he400 can see for themself. I've heard some slightly recessed depending on the singer, I wouldn't call it wonky.

What's one female voiced track that sounds wonky? Listening to Norah Jones right now and all sounds well.

coming from the Dt 880 and w1000x vocals on the he 400 are a little wonky, but deeper voiced singers have a nice sound to them.  

Sep 29, 2013 at 9:14 PM Post #13,159 of 22,116
  I'm playing devil's advocate, but how would you know which one is more accurate of the vocalist in real life?  Has anybody heard any of their favorite vocalists in person?

Frequancy response, as assume that with a correct recording, a nuetral headphone would reproduce vocals correctly, additionally 20 years of listening to women kinda help you get a sense of how voices sound, there is no orignal so everything is in theory a combination of pre existing elements. seeing as the brain remembers everything [sadly we don't have accesses to everything stored] but that memory of sounds is what allows us to... or rather what prompts us to say things like "something not right... can't put my finger on it though" 

and that said, it's common knowldge the HE 400 has recessed upper mids. Not a big deal lol, and yea for some songs the vocals are nice for other's they are not. I have the same issue with all of my headphones,

just making subjective comments based on experince,  just try to remember is about enjoying the music if. And the fun is this hobby is trying to understand why we hear different things, and finding that common ground! 

On another note, playing through Shadowrun Returns, going to play it with some Current Value :D that should sound really nice with the HE 400

Sep 29, 2013 at 9:21 PM Post #13,160 of 22,116
  I'm playing devil's advocate, but how would you know which one is more accurate of the vocalist in real life?  Has anybody heard any of their favorite vocalists in person?

lol good question.

From what i remember about my still broken set is that it tends to allow you to hear the processing done to the music tracks. Like as in different effects "reverb, compression, delays and so fourth..

Sometimes it sounds good and at others it sounds off when too much reverb is used in the process of the music track because the HE-400 picks up on this quite well...

I'm going by memory from like 8 months ago from the last time i listened to my still broken set though lol.. 

Sep 29, 2013 at 9:25 PM Post #13,161 of 22,116
If you were going to approach the issue with a confirmation bias that a headphone with uneven frequency response were to make vocals sound unnatural, then it's kinda funny that you would think some songs have nice sounding vocals whereas others wouldn't.

Sep 29, 2013 at 9:33 PM Post #13,162 of 22,116
  If you were going to approach the issue with a confirmation bias that a headphone with uneven frequency response were to make vocals sound unnatural, then it's kinda funny that you would think some songs have nice sounding vocals whereas others wouldn't.

there is no headphone with an even response. They all have dips and peaks, that said seeing as there are no perfect headphones... except maybe those Stax TOTL I hear about, but with that said everything is subjective, to some the HE 400 might be very natrual with all vocals, to my ears with a mojority of my vocal music the low mids are a little to promient for my tastes. Still all voice varry and different set ups add or remove some nuances from voices

I used to prefer my w1000x for vocals out of the M Stage, but now that it's sold, and I have the AGD and Hm801 I prefer the Dt 880 for vocals out of the AGD and the w1000x out of the HM801, it may be that with a nice tube or maybe even out of the Balanced out of the AGD the HE 400 may sound better with vocals in my opinon. 

Although do appreciate you questioning every post I make :3, makes conversation interesting and allows us to think a little more about how we listen and what we are listening on! 

And everything is subjective and based on preferance. I like a little color in my vocals, when I had Tubes they did a nice job enriching vocals, but often made the music kinda lack luster [cheap tubes sadly] so that said, I may enjoy the HE 400 more out of a nicer tube amp! 

Sep 29, 2013 at 9:46 PM Post #13,164 of 22,116
  No problem, it's just what I do!

ahh I was looking forward to another question, oh well

still I own 2 source and 1 amp. Like the vairety, as what makes music special out of each is the combination of flaws, so to say

that said, enjoying the Current Value on the HE 400 looking forwarding to running it balanced tommorow :D the balanced output REALLY made the Dt 880 strech it's legs. Gave the bass some real body and weight to it, the SE out of the AGD and my Pb1 both have an almost veil to the bass... 

Sep 29, 2013 at 10:30 PM Post #13,166 of 22,116
See she sounds just fine to me in that song regardless if I EQ the upper mids up or not.  But I've never heard her perform in person so I don't know how she's supposed to sound.

Literally the only time I've noticed coloration the most in my headphones is when I mix a composition with them and then play it later through a pair of active monitors.  Things sound off real fast if it doesn't sound like what you were working with.  

Sep 29, 2013 at 11:12 PM Post #13,167 of 22,116
  See she sounds just fine to me in that song regardless if I EQ the upper mids up or not.  But I've never heard her perform in person so I don't know how she's supposed to sound.

Literally the only time I've noticed coloration the most in my headphones is when I mix a composition with them and then play it later through a pair of active monitors.  Things sound off real fast if it doesn't sound like what you were working with.  

Nice review on the He 400... I should do one with my DT 990 Pro 250 vs the HE 400 might be a fun read 

Liked how it read as well, 

Sep 30, 2013 at 2:20 AM Post #13,168 of 22,116
Found a track with female vocals "off". Fever - Ray Charles and Natalie Cole. She sounds congested bEing at that dip and peak of the response.

Brought home the Yulong D100 from the office to test the female vocals. Previously it was just on my e7 and lenovo laptop.

Natalie Cole does not sound wonky on this setup. Nor does Adele or Lana Del Ray. XPS-Yulong D100-HE400.

Using the low impedance port with sound 2 (tames the highs) there are no sibilant highs and female voices are forward. The D100 is a neutral sounding dac with a slight lean towards bright. The previous owner raved about it with Denons and Fostex.

Sep 30, 2013 at 6:18 AM Post #13,169 of 22,116
I just that I think vocals could sound better at times, the combiation of bright treble and recessed upper mids can make the vocals sort of distant yet bright and sibilant at the same time..... However generally vocals sound pretty good and sometimes they have a really nice 3D effect to them which is as good or better than I have heard on any headphones. I think the only way you can get headphones that sound good with every recording is to either own multiple pairs or maybe some LCD3 or similar. Probably even on the LCD3 there will be some songs that don't work well with them.

Sep 30, 2013 at 6:27 AM Post #13,170 of 22,116

Wouldn't it be "expectation bias" if it was before you listened ? :p I am being pedantic :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back