**Hifiman HE-400 Impressions and Discussion Thread**
Sep 28, 2013 at 12:17 AM Post #13,111 of 22,116
I would try anything, becuase they are SO nearly there!  I'm in the middle of a rare extended late night listening session for myself at the moment. 

Try putting an extra layer or two of felt between the drivers and your ear. You could try different thickness/layers/patterns to see what works. You might find a median of less timbre and still keep the vividness.

I'm listening to it now on my Matrix Mini-I, a warm/analog sounding dac+amp. When I want analytical and clarity, I plug it to my Yulong D100, keep it on low impedance port + sound2 (which rolls the highs a bit) and you've got replication without piercing highs. I like to keep it on the musical side, so it gets a lot of time with the Mini-i.

Hope you find your mod, these are fantastic headphones indeed

Sep 28, 2013 at 2:55 AM Post #13,112 of 22,116
I agree with what you said there, for electronic sounds or music where there is no reference to real sounds, the HE400 treble is not a problem and can sound really good at times, for example well recorded electronic music the treble actually works well.... For music which is based on real instruments or sounds and requires a natural timbre, the wonky upper mids and treble on these becomes an issue and does not sound as natural as some other headphones... My advice would be either upgrade to some HE500 / LCD2 or keep the HE400 for the genres they are v good at and buy some HD600/HD650 or similar for the genres that the HE400 is not so good at....

Sep 28, 2013 at 2:58 AM Post #13,113 of 22,116
I agree with what you said there, for electronic sounds or music where there is no reference to real sounds, the HE400 treble is not a problem and can sound really good at times, for music which is based on real instruments or sounds and requires a natural timbre, the wonky upper mids and treble on these becomes an issue and does not sound as natural as some other headphones.... My advice would be either upgrade to some HE500 / LCD2 or keep the HE400 for the genres they are v good at and buy some HD600/HD650 or similar for the genres that the HE400 is not so good at....

indeed I'm getting it specifically for only: EDM

Sep 28, 2013 at 5:58 AM Post #13,114 of 22,116
I feel with ya, amigomatt. Concerning your priorities you shouldn't have bought them in the first place, though. Maybe you should go Stax?

Sep 28, 2013 at 7:19 AM Post #13,115 of 22,116

after many combinations ... I think this is pretty good...
He400 with Burson HA160D jack connected in H, connected in L seems a little flat sound.
I'm waiting to come home jergpad (Modulor)
Do you have any advice to improve the parameters with the Burson?

Sep 28, 2013 at 8:17 AM Post #13,116 of 22,116
Amigomatt...this jergpads will alleviate but not completely fix the treble issue. The he500 is probably much closer to what you want. The he-4 is great but needs a beastly amp to really hear what it should sound like. Stax will give you everything and moon but you'll be eating Ramen for the next five years....maybe more.

The Maddogs are something that you should also consider...beautifully balanced with strong linear bass. The Alpha dog will be a really nice improvement across the spectrum on the MD. 

gL!!

Sep 28, 2013 at 8:21 AM Post #13,117 of 22,116
  Amigomatt...this jergpads will alleviate but not completely fix the treble issue. The he500 is probably much closer to what you want. The he-4 is great but needs a beastly amp to really hear what it should sound like. Stax will give you everything and moon but you'll be eating Ramen for the next five years....maybe more.

The Maddogs are something that you should also consider...beautifully balanced with strong linear bass. The Alpha dog will be a really nice improvement across the spectrum on the MD. 

gL!!

UGH I want to hear a Balanced AD
q.q

my he400 should be here today, and the balanced cable monday! 

Sep 28, 2013 at 8:32 AM Post #13,118 of 22,116
Balanced... Ain't exactly anything magical after all.
Lolz, I have ended up with the B&O H6 as well so now I have the momentums, h6 and the hfi780 just for full-size portable cans 
eek.gif

What has happened the last month?!?

Sep 28, 2013 at 8:38 AM Post #13,119 of 22,116
I'm getting a little OOC myself. I like to keep my two hp rule intact but it's suffering. I added the Sony mdr-ma900 because MLE loaned them to me. They sounded so nice...really nice and then I saw them for $139 on ebay and could not resist. 
redface.gif

Now the Alpha dogs are almost here. Getting a bit crazy. 

Sep 28, 2013 at 8:44 AM Post #13,120 of 22,116
  I'm getting a little OOC myself. I like to keep my two hp rule intact but it's suffering. I added the Sony mdr-ma900 because MLE loaned them to me. They sounded so nice...really nice and then I saw them for $139 on ebay and could not resist. 
redface.gif

Now the Alpha dogs are almost here. Getting a bit crazy. 

>.> I had 6 at one point, and I'm trying to cut down to 3 

Sep 28, 2013 at 8:50 AM Post #13,122 of 22,116

Try putting an extra layer or two of felt between the drivers and your ear. You could try different thickness/layers/patterns to see what works. You might find a median of less timbre and still keep the vividness.

I'm listening to it now on my Matrix Mini-I, a warm/analog sounding dac+amp. When I want analytical and clarity, I plug it to my Yulong D100, keep it on low impedance port + sound2 (which rolls the highs a bit) and you've got replication without piercing highs. I like to keep it on the musical side, so it gets a lot of time with the Mini-i.

Hope you find your mod, these are fantastic headphones indeed

Better yet, get a microfiber cloth and cut a disk out of it an lay that down in the pad. I was having treble issues when modding my T50RP and I came across a user who used microfiber in front of the driver and he showed the results from his measuring equipment. Microfiber works perfectly to mellow out the treble in that region without touching anything else. I would definitely give it a try!

As MattTCG stated, getting the modulor pads will NOT fix your problem. The only part of the mod that helps the treble is cutting holes in the pleathers, which it sounds like you've already done.

Sep 28, 2013 at 11:30 AM Post #13,123 of 22,116
How do you lessen the clamp on these?

Sep 28, 2013 at 12:48 PM Post #13,125 of 22,116
What do you use to add some foam between the drivers and your ears? Sounds interesting, how about the beyerdynamic foam pieces?

http://www.showcomms.co.uk/spares/dt770-spares/dt770-dt880-dt990-foam-insert-sold-individually-933395.html

Users who are viewing this thread

Back