**Hifiman HE-400 Impressions and Discussion Thread**
Aug 11, 2013 at 12:16 PM Post #12,137 of 22,116
Regarding the HE400 vs HD600 for jazz, rock etc...

I would say they are both good but it all comes down to personal taste... More laid back sound = HD600... Faster, more fun sound but with sibilance / treble peak / recessed upper midrange = HE-400... The only way to know which is best would be to buy them both and try them, I think that the HD600 have a more realistic sound than the HE400, but the HE400 are faster, clearer and more fun. Ideally just buy both and you will have 2 of the best headphones under £500 which work well together.

Aug 11, 2013 at 12:48 PM Post #12,138 of 22,116
Quote:
Regarding the HE400 vs HD600 for jazz, rock etc...

I would say they are both good but it all comes down to personal taste... More laid back sound = HD600... Faster, more fun sound but with sibilance / treble peak / recessed upper midrange = HE-400... The only way to know which is best would be to buy them both and try them, I think that the HD600 have a more realistic sound than the HE400, but the HE400 are faster, clearer and more fun. Ideally just buy both and you will have 2 of the best headphones under £500 which work well together.

Nice point you've made.  I think after owning basically all of the HifiMan headphones, except for the HE-6, having the HE-400 and the Sennheiser HD-600 is a very good combination to have and the price of both is not out of reach for most people.

Aug 11, 2013 at 9:00 PM Post #12,140 of 22,116
Good timing, I've been meaning to ask you wje, since you were such a big magnum fan, with me having the he400 Sr80i and some re400s, would you think completing my magnum build or buying a hd600 would be a better choice? Main concern is, I love the he400, but just miss warm mids. I enjoy grados "in your face presentation", but love senns warm touch. Sorry I know this is off topic, but I'm sure a lot of us want to know of a great sidekick to the 400 when we want different presentation. And yes I'm aware the he500 would probably solve this, but I don't have the cash.
Get the amperiors

Aug 12, 2013 at 2:46 AM Post #12,141 of 22,116
Quick question to fellow HE-400 owners: I bought velour pads straight from Head-Direct due to the obviously powerful recommendation from all owners of the HE-400, but they are astoundingly stiff. I've actually been listening to the HE-400 with the velour pads I forgot what pleather was like, but the greater plushness makes this headphone (as the headband conforms pretty much perfectly to my head and weight is a non-issue for me) remarkably comfortable, to the point where it is worth the slight decrease in SQ. Are the velours commonly more stiff than the pleathers? One pad is also slightly thinner than the other which makes me think I might have gotten a bad pair.

Aug 12, 2013 at 4:05 AM Post #12,142 of 22,116
Quote:
Quote:
Lots of detail, but lacking in the nuances... In the treble that is. That's what set me off.

Lol. Uhhh, is that why I can hear recording level defects and stars being born when I put on the HE-400s? Or are you talking about a different pair of phones?

I'm talking about timbre in the treble whatever you want to call it. Hi-hats, whatever sounds pretty similar. Dat tizz.. But they are indeed very revealing.

Quote:

Quick question to fellow HE-400 owners: I bought velour pads straight from Head-Direct due to the obviously powerful recommendation from all owners of the HE-400, but they are astoundingly stiff. I've actually been listening to the HE-400 with the velour pads I forgot what pleather was like, but the greater plushness makes this headphone (as the headband conforms pretty much perfectly to my head and weight is a non-issue for me) remarkably comfortable, to the point where it is worth the slight decrease in SQ. Are the velours commonly more stiff than the pleathers? One pad is also slightly thinner than the other which makes me think I might have gotten a bad pair.

Velours are stiffer. Wash them, then they will get a bit softer. If you really like the pleathers, look into the jergpad mod.

Aug 12, 2013 at 8:38 AM Post #12,143 of 22,116
Quote:

Yep, the velours are known to be much stiffer than the pleathers. Others find them to be itchy and scratchy as well. I've found that if you give a warm water bath that they will soften and still retain all their other goodness. Hope this helps.

Matt

Aug 12, 2013 at 8:29 PM Post #12,146 of 22,116
I typically like to wrap products like this in bubble wrap when I don't have the original box. Box in box is also an additional lyr of protection with foam peanuts in between the boxes. 

Aug 12, 2013 at 11:29 PM Post #12,148 of 22,116
Hi i just bought a set of he400 and was wondering if anyone had experience with both fiio e17 and schiit magni/modi stack with the he400? Is one better or are they equals? 

The reason I ask is because I have the E17/E09k combo, but am interested in changing my setup. Earlier I read that the E09k is not a good match because of the 10ohm output, not sure how strong the effects of this are. 

When I first got the he-400 I disliked them but they have grown on me extremely fast! In 4 days have gone from liking them to absolutely loving them. The only thing I would change is to make the highs slightly stronger.

Aug 13, 2013 at 12:33 AM Post #12,150 of 22,116
Quote:
Hi i just bought a set of he400 and was wondering if anyone had experience with both fiio e17 and schiit magni/modi stack with the he400? Is one better or are they equals? 

The reason I ask is because I have the E17/E09k combo, but am interested in changing my setup. Earlier I read that the E09k is not a good match because of the 10ohm output, not sure how strong the effects of this are. 

When I first got the he-400 I disliked them but they have grown on me extremely fast! In 4 days have gone from liking them to absolutely loving them. The only thing I would change is to make the highs slightly stronger.

the 10 ohm output wont effect planar magnetics much at all.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back