**Hifiman HE-400 Impressions and Discussion Thread**
Aug 10, 2013 at 3:52 AM Post #12,122 of 22,116
Aug 10, 2013 at 12:03 PM Post #12,124 of 22,116
If you really want to make the HE400's sing get the HiFiman balanced cable and use a SCHIIT MJOLNIR balanced headphone amplifier, to my ears this sounds fantastic although I still need a slight 3db boost between 2 to 5 kHz to sound best, by theway having tried the velour pads I have reverted back to the originals as they are more comfortable and also sound better particularly in the bass region, perhaps its my hearing but I have no problems with any upper treble harshness or sibilance like some others have commented on, superb headphones, I have in the past had AKG K1000's and Sen 800's and in all honesty I much prefer the HE400's for their overall sound.

Aug 10, 2013 at 3:03 PM Post #12,125 of 22,116
Thanks Mikeb for the remark on switching back to the original pleathers....just about to order the velours.
I too haven't noticed ANY slight issues with the treble/sibilance with my brand new HE-400's Love them so far!.

Aug 10, 2013 at 5:15 PM Post #12,126 of 22,116
Quote:
Hi All,
Looking for some advise without starting a "should I buy A or B" thread.

I love my triple.fi's for travel / portable use, and my HD-25s for closed full size / office use, but I'm looking for something open to be my primary listening cans.  Ideally, I think I'd state that I want an open, full size pair of triple.fis... I listen to mostly live rock shows (Phish, grateful dead, etc), but also classic rock, jazz, bluegrass, and acoustic duos. I value a fun sound and some bass over analytical tonality.  I have a Nuforce uDac2 as my source out of an imac (that also powers my BX5a speakers.  I'm really interested in an open, fun sound and great soundstage. I liked my Grado SR-225's but it was a little to bright / fatiguing for me.  A few questions:

I've considered Sennheiser HD598s and HE-400s (but haven't heard either, or had a scientific method, so would be open to other ideas).  Can you guys give me your thoughts on the HE-400s for my listening profile and as a comparison to the triple.fi and HD-25s?  Anything other cans I MUST consider?

I'd also love input into how it would / would not play well with the uDac2.

Thanks so much!

I don't agree with people NOT recommending the HE-400 for the music you are talking about. Live Rock, and Live recordings in general, sound phenomenal to me on the HE-400s. Jazz/Bluegrass are also a true forte. Certainly they are more 'fun' also compared to the Senns I have owned.

I must have strange ears or something, but the bass texture and speed of the HEs really set them apart to my ears, when I first listened to live music and jazz vs. my Senn 595s and 438s they were clearly superior. Way more realistic and 'rich'.

That said, Sennheisers are great headphones, and I wouldn't hesitate to buy the 598s. But I have no doubt the 400s might be able to impress you.

The Specs of the UDAC2 alone suggest to me that it will not be a particularly good match for the HE-400s. The power output of 160 mW into 16 ohms will likely be far less at 50 ohms. IMHO, it would be better to seek out amps that can do closer to 500 mWs at 50 ohms. Get an O2! Works great with all my phones and has more than enough power for the HE-400.

Aug 10, 2013 at 5:48 PM Post #12,127 of 22,116
Quote:
I don't agree with people NOT recommending the HE-400 for the music you are talking about. Live Rock, and Live recordings in general, sound phenomenal to me on the HE-400s. Jazz/Bluegrass are also a true forte. Certainly they are more 'fun' also compared to the Senns I have owned.

I must have strange ears or something, but the bass texture and speed of the HEs really set them apart to my ears, when I first listened to live music and jazz vs. my Senn 595s and 438s they were clearly superior. Way more realistic and 'rich'.

That said, Sennheisers are great headphones, and I wouldn't hesitate to buy the 598s. But I have no doubt the 400s might be able to impress you.

The Specs of the UDAC2 alone suggest to me that it will not be a particularly good match for the HE-400s. The power output of 160 mW into 16 ohms will likely be far less at 50 ohms. IMHO, it would be better to seek out amps that can do closer to 500 mWs at 50 ohms. Get an O2! Works great with all my phones and has more than enough power for the HE-400.

i couldn't agree more

the speed/texture of the bass section alone makes a lot of music 'come alive' that sounds good, but too laid back on the senn's i've used (for my taste of course).  they are exceptional with metal/fast rock where the bass / drums have a ton of speed and texture
not to mention the 400's have fantastic detail, which is often overlooked when people talk about them

Aug 10, 2013 at 9:24 PM Post #12,128 of 22,116
Lots of detail, but lacking in the nuances... In the treble that is. That's what set me off.

Aug 10, 2013 at 11:51 PM Post #12,129 of 22,116
@Thekid22
Having heard and falling in love with the hd598, the he400 still beats it on a acoustic music, especially if you do the jergpad mod. The 598 is still something I miss though, and will more than likely have ne buying the hd600. The thing is, the 598 has "better" mids, because they are warm and just sound so involving, but, the he400 with jergpads, is an honestly fantastic experience. The detail, the imaging, the soundstage are all just so Impressive. if I were you, I would snag the he400 from headamp, give them a good week or so for your brain to get used to the magic planar sound, Nd if you don't like them, send then back. But, planars are something very very different, so you may at first be dissapointed like a lot of us. But, they will grow immensely on you more than likely. Im glad I heard the 598s, but overall I'd pick the 400s, they just sound good for everything I've tried them with.

Aug 11, 2013 at 12:03 AM Post #12,130 of 22,116
Quote:
@Thekid22
Having heard and falling in love with the hd598, the he400 still beats it on a acoustic music, especially if you do the jergpad mod. The 598 is still something I miss though, and will more than likely have ne buying the hd600. The thing is, the 598 has "better" mids, because they are warm and just sound so involving, but, the he400 with jergpads, is an honestly fantastic experience. The detail, the imaging, the soundstage are all just so Impressive. if I were you, I would snag the he400 from headamp, give them a good week or so for your brain to get used to the magic planar sound, Nd if you don't like them, send then back. But, planars are something very very different, so you may at first be dissapointed like a lot of us. But, they will grow immensely on you more than likely. Im glad I heard the 598s, but overall I'd pick the 400s, they just sound good for everything I've tried them with.

To me, the 500 series of headphones by Sennheiser are surprisingly good and compete very well for their price point.  I have a pair of modified HD-555s that I switch off with between the HD-600 that I have.  I don't feel as though I suffer when going from the 555 to 600.  Each has their own unique differences and depending on your listening needs and tastes, the 500 series might do awfully well for some people.

Though, I still like to do a lot of switching between my HD-600 and HE-400.  Both are great when I want a little flavor of each from time-to-time.

Aug 11, 2013 at 12:35 AM Post #12,131 of 22,116
To me, the 500 series of headphones by Sennheiser are surprisingly good and compete very well for their price point.  I have a pair of modified HD-555s that I switch off with between the HD-600 that I have.  I don't feel as though I suffer when going from the 555 to 600.  Each has their own unique differences and depending on your listening needs and tastes, the 500 series might do awfully well for some people.

Though, I still like to do a lot of switching between my HD-600 and HE-400.  Both are great when I want a little flavor of each from time-to-time.

Good timing, I've been meaning to ask you wje, since you were such a big magnum fan, with me having the he400 Sr80i and some re400s, would you think completing my magnum build or buying a hd600 would be a better choice? Main concern is, I love the he400, but just miss warm mids. I enjoy grados "in your face presentation", but love senns warm touch. Sorry I know this is off topic, but I'm sure a lot of us want to know of a great sidekick to the 400 when we want different presentation. And yes I'm aware the he500 would probably solve this, but I don't have the cash.

Aug 11, 2013 at 1:17 AM Post #12,132 of 22,116
Quote:
Good timing, I've been meaning to ask you wje, since you were such a big magnum fan, with me having the he400 Sr80i and some re400s, would you think completing my magnum build or buying a hd600 would be a better choice? Main concern is, I love the he400, but just miss warm mids. I enjoy grados "in your face presentation", but love senns warm touch. Sorry I know this is off topic, but I'm sure a lot of us want to know of a great sidekick to the 400 when we want different presentation. And yes I'm aware the he500 would probably solve this, but I don't have the cash.

Your question is realistic and you're dilemma of not having enough cash for the HE-500 is also a reality for many.  The trouble that I ran into after getting used to the ortho headphones - mainly the modified Fostex as well as the HE-400s is that I found a pair of the HF-2 headphones available locally - a bit over a year ago.  This would have been my 2nd pair of them.  I thought I liked them.  However, when at home, I tried and tried, but really couldn't get acclimated to that Grado-ish house sound again.  I sold them.

But, this summer while my daughter is home, she brought back the Alessandro MS-1 headphones.  I used them a few times for some types of music.  I didn't think that they were really bad at all.  They were stock - no wooden cups, no holes punched on the rear of the drivers, etc.  This experience kind of opened my eyes a bit about Grado again.  I guess what I really needed was a longer break from the Grado and Magnum scene.  That was key.

In your situation, I'd push ahead with your Magnum modification -- as long as the costs are not going to exceed the current market value for such a headphone.  In the months that follow the completion of your build, see how many times you use the Magnums and what each experience was like.  If you find yourself not using them a lot, or not really getting into them as much as you thought, you can always sell them.  However, if selling them does become a consideration, that is why I suggested to not spend more on the modification than the market price of the used headphones.  You don't want to be "upside down" on the cost of them and find yourself losing $200 on them.  The HD-600 can be purchased in the $225 - $250 range here on the forum.  

Good luck.

Aug 11, 2013 at 1:57 AM Post #12,133 of 22,116
Your question is realistic and you're dilemma of not having enough cash for the HE-500 is also a reality for many.  The trouble that I ran into after getting used to the ortho headphones - mainly the modified Fostex as well as the HE-400s is that I found a pair of the HF-2 headphones available locally - a bit over a year ago.  This would have been my 2nd pair of them.  I thought I liked them.  However, when at home, I tried and tried, but really couldn't get acclimated to that Grado-ish house sound again.  I sold them.

But, this summer while my daughter is home, she brought back the Alessandro MS-1 headphones.  I used them a few times for some types of music.  I didn't think that they were really bad at all.  They were stock - no wooden cups, no holes punched on the rear of the drivers, etc.  This experience kind of opened my eyes a bit about Grado again.  I guess what I really needed was a longer break from the Grado and Magnum scene.  That was key.

In your situation, I'd push ahead with your Magnum modification -- as long as the costs are not going to exceed the current market value for such a headphone.  In the months that follow the completion of your build, see how many times you use the Magnums and what each experience was like.  If you find yourself not using them a lot, or not really getting into them as much as you thought, you can always sell them.  However, if selling them does become a consideration, that is why I suggested to not spend more on the modification than the market price of the used headphones.  You don't want to be "upside down" on the cost of them and find yourself losing $200 on them.  The HD-600 can be purchased in the $225 - $250 range here on the forum.  

Good luck.
I
Thanks for the advice, I have everything for them, I made black limba inners. And a family made cocobolo outers for me, have lcush pads, just need 130 for the v5 drives. Just couldn't decide whether to go that route, or save and get an hd600. Ill finish my build, and more than likely buy an hd600 anyways. All while modding my he400 and increasingly enjoying its abilities. This hobby is rough, I always wonder, what else is out there? If I buy this amp or dac, will I enjoy this type of music more? Will this headphone be the end? I need to stop at some point, but, I'm not even 30 yet. I have time to enjoy the hunt!

Aug 11, 2013 at 8:29 AM Post #12,134 of 22,116
I have a question for people who sold their he-400 but came back later with same Rev. I was wondering does it sound the same to u? Esp on the treble? I was browsing he-500 thread and someone over there mention that they sounded different from 3 he-500. Although he didn't mention about the Rev. Your thoughts?

Aug 11, 2013 at 8:49 AM Post #12,135 of 22,116
Quote:
I have a question for people who sold their he-400 but came back later with same Rev. I was wondering does it sound the same to u? Esp on the treble? I was browsing he-500 thread and someone over there mention that they sounded different from 3 he-500. Although he didn't mention about the Rev. Your thoughts?

To me, the HE-400 has seemed to be the same each time with the Rev. 2 that I've now owned 3 times.  I've never noticed any huge variation that would be enough for my ears to detect.  I also owned the Rev. 1 for a very short period of time, but it was replaced by HifiMan due to the known issues with that revision that I had experienced.  The Rev.1 was so long ago, I can't comment on that signature of sound.

However, allow me to make another point.  With regards to the planar drivers and HifiMan.  Currently, the HE-400 planar driver is a driver that is not built by hand.  They were able to machine manufacture it.  But, the other HifiMan planar drivers are hand made / or hand assembled from components.  It would seem logical that the machine manufactured driver would come out in a more consistent pattern as opposed to those touched by humans.  It seems like in the manual method of building the driver, there are quite a few areas that could affect the sound (IMO).

The information on assembly is just something that I had read a bit over a year ago when HifiMan was quoted in an interview, or article that I had read.  For all I know, HifiMan could have also moved other drivers over to machine production, too.  Possibly, the HE-500?  Again, just a suspicion.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back