**Hifiman HE-400 Impressions and Discussion Thread**
Aug 9, 2013 at 3:34 PM Post #12,106 of 22,116
HE-400 vs. HD650s on Schitt Magni/Modi vs. ALO Audio International:

Just adding some impressions on the HE-400 based on my experience with the equipment listed above, which is just about the full list of stuff I actually use.  Just in case anyone's searching the thread for comparisons, amp info, etc.

I'm a musician rather than audiophile so the language I use may be less technical and more subjective.

I got the HE-400s and a Magni/Modi stack after reading up on this forum.  I was disappointed.  Burned in the 400s some, still disappointed.  Specifically, the sound to me was jarring, a bit... nasal almost in parts of the miss, prone to a few uncomfortable peaks in parts of the higher end, a bit sibilant at times.  Not cohesive really.  Definitely tiring.

Disappointed, I bought the HD650s (this hobby escalates fast).  I loved them with the M/M.  I could finally see what even the lower end of mid/head-fi could do compared to my consumer-grade stuff.  Didn't really pick up the 400s again for a while.

Looking to rethink my amp setup, I bought the International.  Might seem random, but the thinking was/is that it'll do for my one amp for now, and when I research, listen and invest more in a desktop amp I'll still have a great portable option rather than lose value in a sale.

LOVE the International.  Everything seems to breathe more--at the same time as it feels just... tighter and faster.  But something happened with the 'phones.  Immediately I favored the 400s over the HD650s.  More cohesive sound, what I can only describe as 'speed,' definitely some impact (but still fast) in the bass.  My favorite thing about the 400s (with this amp at least): there is a little sizzle up top but it seems to me it's less about quantity of treble than quality.  The piano intro of These New Puritans' "Fragment Two" is so full because you feel and hear the bass, but even on the low notes you hear the percussive impact, some of the stuff in the mids and up high that really gives it a more realistic sound to me.  I hear piano bench creaks on some Sufjan Stevens songs.  Likewise on some stuff with synth (like "Everything In Its Right Place" by Radiohead) on low notes as well as high some of the subtle rhythmic modulations and textures of the synths come out with this treble sparkle that simply weren't available to my ears with the 650s.

I'll be selling my HE-400s and my HD650s soon, not because I don't like them.  I do, in different circumstances.  It's just that I fell for the whole Audeze thing and my budget for this hobby doesn't support so many open-backed headphones.  Like I said, this hobby escalates quickly...

Hope this helps someone.

Aug 9, 2013 at 3:38 PM Post #12,107 of 22,116
When you say you fell for the whole Audeze thing, what do you mean exactly?  Have you heard them and what are you buying next?

Aug 9, 2013 at 3:45 PM Post #12,108 of 22,116
Your amp impressions are total opposite from what I would expect. I haven't tried the International, but the power output on the Magni significantly increases the dynamics of the HE-400 compared to the other low powered amps I've tried. The International outputs about 1/10th the power of the Magni, so it's interesting that the speed and impact is increased.

Aug 9, 2013 at 4:05 PM Post #12,109 of 22,116
Personally I do not find the HE400 to be all that good for the genres you listed.... They are really good at bassy / fast music such as electronic music or metal... For genres such as you mentioned the HD600/HD650 have a more realistic sound... The HD600 might be better for those genres as it is supposed to be less slow sounding than the HD650....

Really the HD650 and HE400 are very different... Maybe buy them both and send back the one you don't like... Beware you might end up keeping both :p

Aug 9, 2013 at 4:27 PM Post #12,110 of 22,116
Just equalize the treble down then - it's free, and a lot of people like the results.

Thanks Ben, I've experimented a fair bit with EQ and have gotten positive results. The only issue is that I can only EQ when listening from my PC, not my main hifi or portable rigs.

Aug 9, 2013 at 5:19 PM Post #12,112 of 22,116
Well my Lyr showed up today and damn it made a big difference.  After about 4-5 hours of getting used to the sound I started to really enjoy the sound, then I hooked it up to the Lyr and WOW!!!!!  They just came alive and that is without any EQ'ing.  I really love the way the Lyr makes them sound and now that I have had some "brain burn-in"  I can't get enough of them.  Thanks for all the responses and making me hang in there with these!!

Aug 9, 2013 at 7:45 PM Post #12,113 of 22,116
Use the tone controls on hifi and download rockbox on your portable player.

Thanks for your reply, nicholars, but the sound on my hifi amp is noticeably worse when I disengage the direct switch and the rudimentary bass and treble pots are not specific enough to do the job. I do have a rock boxed Sansa Clip, but I mainly use my Galaxy S4 for portable use, streaming Spotify Premium and that too does not run a suitable EQ feature. I live quite well with it though, as the treble spike is only an issue on some recordings, probably less than 50% of the time for me. It's just a niggle that I live with. After all, no headphone or setup is perfect and the pros definitely outweigh the cons for me. It's just a shame that it feels so close to great for me with these cans, just not quite there.

Aug 9, 2013 at 8:14 PM Post #12,114 of 22,116
Quote:
Thanks for your reply, nicholars, but the sound on my hifi amp is noticeably worse when I disengage the direct switch and the rudimentary bass and treble pots are not specific enough to do the job. I do have a rock boxed Sansa Clip, but I mainly use my Galaxy S4 for portable use, streaming Spotify Premium and that too does not run a suitable EQ feature. I live quite well with it though, as the treble spike is only an issue on some recordings, probably less than 50% of the time for me. It's just a niggle that I live with. After all, no headphone or setup is perfect and the pros definitely outweigh the cons for me. It's just a shame that it feels so close to great for me with these cans, just not quite there.

Mmm you can probably get an EQ for the S4.... Your right some tone controls are bad...

Aug 9, 2013 at 8:26 PM Post #12,115 of 22,116
Mmm you can probably get an EQ for the S4.... Your right some tone controls are bad...

I've searched far and wide. Poweramp itself has an extensive EQ feature, but that only applies to playing my own files, not streaming services. I'm holding out for the upcoming Fiio E18. not sure if that will have any tone/eq settings - will just have to wait and see...

Aug 9, 2013 at 9:44 PM Post #12,117 of 22,116
Quote:
Your amp impressions are total opposite from what I would expect. I haven't tried the International, but the power output on the Magni significantly increases the dynamics of the HE-400 compared to the other low powered amps I've tried. The International outputs about 1/10th the power of the Magni, so it's interesting that the speed and impact is increased.

I know.  Perhaps it's that the HE-400s don't require as much power as other orthos, they get pretty loud through just an iPhone. Plus there's the DAC factor.  Not to mention that so much of this is subjective.  Maybe the overall tinniness of the sound initially put me off.

Aug 9, 2013 at 9:47 PM Post #12,118 of 22,116
Quote:
I know.  Perhaps it's that the HE-400s don't require as much power as other orthos, they get pretty loud through just an iPhone. Plus there's the DAC factor.  Not to mention that so much of this is subjective.  Maybe the overall tinniness of the sound initially put me off.

I've also only tried a handful of different amps, the Magni being the best choice by far. Especially for the T50RP's.

Aug 9, 2013 at 10:09 PM Post #12,119 of 22,116
Quote:
I've searched far and wide. Poweramp itself has an extensive EQ feature, but that only applies to playing my own files, not streaming services. I'm holding out for the upcoming Fiio E18. not sure if that will have any tone/eq settings - will just have to wait and see...

If you are willing to root your phone, you may be able to find an EQ.  I have not done it on my newest phone, but on all my previous droids I ran rooted and with custom roms.  Most of the roms came with an EQ built in and some even had room acoustic effects.

Aug 10, 2013 at 3:48 AM Post #12,120 of 22,116
If you are willing to root your phone, you may be able to find an EQ.  I have not done it on my newest phone, but on all my previous droids I ran rooted and with custom roms.  Most of the roms came with an EQ built in and some even had room acoustic effects.

Thanks, I would be happy to root to get a good equaliser but I have honestly never been able to find one. Were these EQs not just 5 bands though? It must be something to do with the OS that nearly every single eq available for Android seems to be the same, re-skinned 5-band graphic equaliser!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back