**Hifiman HE-400 Impressions and Discussion Thread**
Aug 9, 2013 at 1:33 PM Post #12,091 of 22,116
ugh stop talking about this LOL

i've been researching a little too heavily into tube amps now....anyone have a suggestion on the absolute cheapest tube that'll run the 400's at least ok?  my CFO was already a little put off by my cheap magni/modi ha ha ha 

Aug 9, 2013 at 1:38 PM Post #12,092 of 22,116
Quote:
ugh stop talking about this LOL

i've been researching a little too heavily into tube amps now....anyone have a suggestion on the absolute cheapest tube that'll run the 400's at least ok?  my CFO was already a little put off by my cheap magni/modi ha ha ha 

I feel you... I would also like to know about a tube amp alternative to the Lyr with at least 1W power output at 35 ohm.

Aug 9, 2013 at 1:44 PM Post #12,093 of 22,116

My thoughts exactly 
biggrin.gif

If money only grew on trees then yes, quite possibly. I'm very aware of this predicament lads, but the HE-400s were already a reckless purchase after me initially intending to get some DT880/600 and allowing Headfi to persuade me otherwise. I may consider the HE-500s down the line, but I'd like to try before I buy and wouldn't want to lose any of the HE-400s low end qualities.

Aug 9, 2013 at 1:57 PM Post #12,095 of 22,116
I have only done part 1 of jerg pad mod and now i cant seem to find any reason to remove he-400 from my head.... 
I am finally able to play songs in a higher vol without facing the after effects. Hopefully modulor's pad will push this further :)

Aug 9, 2013 at 2:25 PM Post #12,096 of 22,116
What can you do if you have done the jergpad mod but now the pads are too close and my ears touch the drivers? Using the foam spacer would make the mod pointless but it is uncomfortable without it... What about cutting holes in the foam or something?

Aug 9, 2013 at 2:27 PM Post #12,097 of 22,116
Quote:
What can you do if you have done the jergpad mod but now the pads are too close and my ears touch the drivers? Using the foam spacer would make the mod pointless but it is uncomfortable without it... What about cutting holes in the foam or something?

If you cut holes in the foam, I'm sure you can achieve a similar sound. modulor provided hole punched spacers as an option but so far I haven't heard of anyone using them. Just make sure the holes line up with the holes cut in the pads.

Aug 9, 2013 at 2:29 PM Post #12,098 of 22,116
Quote:
If money only grew on trees then yes, quite possibly. I'm very aware of this predicament lads, but the HE-400s were already a reckless purchase after me initially intending to get some DT880/600 and allowing Headfi to persuade me otherwise. I may consider the HE-500s down the line, but I'd like to try before I buy and wouldn't want to lose any of the HE-400s low end qualities.

Just equalize the treble down then - it's free, and a lot of people like the results.

Aug 9, 2013 at 2:52 PM Post #12,099 of 22,116
Quote:
I feel you... I would also like to know about a tube amp alternative to the Lyr with at least 1W power output at 35 ohm.

If we're talking about hybrid amps similar to the Lyr, perhaps consider the Project Ember? 
http://www.garage1217.com/graphic_design_004.htm 
Just a thought, as I'm not even sure if anyone has tried this with planars yet, but it does claim to be able to power the HE-6 adequately (which means it's probably actually more suited to drive the likes of the HE-500 in reality 
tongue.gif
).  It's still fairly new and I've not ready any impressions on it yet. A bit cheaper option than the Lyr, and it looks pretty neat!

Aug 9, 2013 at 2:52 PM Post #12,100 of 22,116
Hi All,
Looking for some advise without starting a "should I buy A or B" thread.

I love my triple.fi's for travel / portable use, and my HD-25s for closed full size / office use, but I'm looking for something open to be my primary listening cans.  Ideally, I think I'd state that I want an open, full size pair of triple.fis... I listen to mostly live rock shows (Phish, grateful dead, etc), but also classic rock, jazz, bluegrass, and acoustic duos. I value a fun sound and some bass over analytical tonality.  I have a Nuforce uDac2 as my source out of an imac (that also powers my BX5a speakers.  I'm really interested in an open, fun sound and great soundstage. I liked my Grado SR-225's but it was a little to bright / fatiguing for me.  A few questions:

I've considered Sennheiser HD598s and HE-400s (but haven't heard either, or had a scientific method, so would be open to other ideas).  Can you guys give me your thoughts on the HE-400s for my listening profile and as a comparison to the triple.fi and HD-25s?  Anything other cans I MUST consider?

I'd also love input into how it would / would not play well with the uDac2.

Thanks so much!

Aug 9, 2013 at 3:00 PM Post #12,102 of 22,116
Aug 9, 2013 at 3:05 PM Post #12,103 of 22,116
The genres you listed are going to suffer a bit from the upper mid dip on the HE-400's. Personally, unless you listen to a lot of bassy music, I think you'll find the HD580/HD600/HD650 to be a better match. I haven't tried the 650's, but from what I've read (and from your request in a "fun" signature) they might be a really great choice for you.

Aug 9, 2013 at 3:09 PM Post #12,104 of 22,116
The genres you listed are going to suffer a bit from the upper mid dip on the HE-400's. Personally, unless you listen to a lot of bassy music, I think you'll find the HD580/HD600/HD650 to be a better match. I haven't tried the 650's, but from what I've read (and from your request in a "fun" signature) they might be a really great choice for you.
+1
Maybe it's important to remember when listening to live recordings, the quality of the sources will vary a lot. The HE-400's will show you the flaws in some recordings. HD650 (or 600) are much more forgiving of these recordings. It could be said the Senn's are more relaxing, and the HE400's are more exciting.

Aug 9, 2013 at 3:23 PM Post #12,105 of 22,116
Quote:

I agree, HD600/HD650 would be the best place to start, especially since he already has some Senns he enjoys.  He could also read up on the Mad Dog, as it's signature would also be good from the impressions I get of it, but those genres and especially live performances definitely benefit from open headphones.  As far as HiFiMans go though, I'd have to recommend the HE-500 there, but I'm not sure exactly what price range we're talking here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back