**Hifiman HE-400 Impressions and Discussion Thread**
Aug 6, 2013 at 11:43 AM Post #11,986 of 22,116
I hear what you are saying as well, and yes, you would benefit from making jergpads or purchasing them when there's another round of orders up for grabs.

jergs/modulors reduce the crap out of sibilance and tizziness to the point of being a non-issue in an all except recordings that are sibilant across the board with any type of h/w in my experience (like deadmau5 remix of longest road, sibilance city)

I too prefer velour feeling. Maybe because I had quite a few Sennheiser headphones before these.

But with pleather stuffing. Velour stock gives your head a nice crush. And feels like it was stuffed with hard tampon cotton.

Aug 6, 2013 at 11:51 AM Post #11,988 of 22,116
haha nor have I (and hope to not have to at any point)

but just pinching the velour pad, that's what it feels like.

Aug 6, 2013 at 12:03 PM Post #11,989 of 22,116
Quote:
Jergulors
biggrin.gif

My guess would be somewhere around 30-50£ when he makes the next batch. It's a one man job.

Rumor has it that there's going to be a truckload of undocumented citizens brought in to assist with the labor.  Production on round #2 should ramp up quite quickly. 
wink.gif

biggrin.gif

Aug 6, 2013 at 12:07 PM Post #11,990 of 22,116
Quote:

Rumor has it that there's going to be a truckload of undocumented citizens brought in to assist with the labor.  Production on round #2 should ramp up quite quickly. 
wink.gif

biggrin.gif

very_evil_smiley.gif
 Indeed.

Have you had a chance yet to meet Ryan and test out the pads, Wayne?

Aug 6, 2013 at 12:30 PM Post #11,992 of 22,116
Quote:

Soon.  He lives basically around the corner from where I work.  We just have to align our schedules to test, discuss and proceed.

That would make a good signature for head-fi... "Test, Discuss and proceed" because that is pretty much what you do until you end up with a pair of expensive headphones.

Aug 6, 2013 at 1:46 PM Post #11,994 of 22,116
Quote:

wink.gif

biggrin.gif

Yes, there's also the option of running after-school 'arts and crafts' sessions...kids are seriously an underutilized labor crafting group if you ask me, and they have those tiny hands for precision work 
very_evil_smiley.gif
 plus, they will basically work participate in craft time for candy.

.......aaannd back to the HE-400 discussion! 
tongue.gif

Aug 6, 2013 at 2:56 PM Post #11,995 of 22,116
:p

Aug 6, 2013 at 6:37 PM Post #11,996 of 22,116
Has anyone in this thread, tried the Alpha Pads with the HE-400 ?   (It might save going to all that work to do your own mods.)

They are certainly much better than either HiFiMan pad, the only question is how well they fit the HE-400 and how they affect the HE-400 sound...

BTW, any DAC that is good, will be equally good with the HE-400s or any other headphone.  It is not like an amp which can work better or worse with a headphone model because they are connected directly together and have an electrical interaction.   (Yes, it is conceivable that a specific headphone model and a specific DAC could have the same flaw, and therefore amplify the flaw, but that is extremely unlikely.)

Aug 6, 2013 at 7:38 PM Post #11,998 of 22,116
So I have had the HE400's with the jergmod complete all except for the velour mod, which i will be doing when i receive the pads this week. I haven't had any other over ear headphones worth mentioning, but have used the jh16 and jh5. I run these through an iphone with accudio player set to the he500 setting and a fiio e12. I have to say that i prefer these to the jh16's in every way. The jh16's offer more slam and subwoofer type capability, but compared to my jh5's it is a much higher upgrade to the he-400 than to the jh16. I know that there are very obvious differences in sound between ciems and open back full sized headphones, but in straight up audio quality and enjoyability i prefer the he-400. excited to finish the jergmod with the velours and enjoy the comfort vs the pleathers.

Aug 6, 2013 at 8:14 PM Post #11,999 of 22,116
I just did part 1 of the jergpads.... (cutting holes in the pads)

Initial impressions are that it does indeed make the treble less harsh.... If you want to lower the "tizz" a bit... Then try it... Bit of a PITA to cut the holes etc. and the pads are annoying to put back on... But I did it and I am quite pleased with the results.... I think I will try the "sub bass adhesion mod" next lol.... Will it still work with the spacers in?

Also do any of the other mods affect the treble? Does adding the velour change the sound? I have some velour pads here, maybe I will cut them up and stick them over the pleathers.... But if this makes them sound worse (more like the stock velours) maybe I will save the £17 and send them back.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back