**Hifiman HE-400 Impressions and Discussion Thread**
Jun 9, 2013 at 4:27 PM Post #10,891 of 22,116
Quote:
I'm not sure if I completely understand what you're hearing but I had some weird feedback issues and it was simply because my left cup connector slightly unscrewed and wasn't making a good connection. Definitely not a fan of their connectors... so weird.

Ya not sure what he's hearing. I would add the screw design as a con, I felt like I was over-tightening the connection because early on I found the pressure from the cable design untwisting my connections and obviously that lead to cutting out and static. Now I just have them tightened pretty well and it hasn't happened in a bit. 

Jun 9, 2013 at 5:02 PM Post #10,892 of 22,116
Considering I have flunk my phones to the floor violently about 4 times and nothing broke yet, I would say that the sketchy cable and attachment and design, while sort of bad, is at least quite durable.

Re-cabling would at least be a cinch, it seems.

Jun 10, 2013 at 8:56 AM Post #10,893 of 22,116
The main problem with the cables is that little twisty metal thing can get jammed (no longer twists, so you can't screw it on or off easily anymore), and I haven't been able to fix it. I ended up getting a new cable under warranty.

Jun 10, 2013 at 12:28 PM Post #10,894 of 22,116
Quote:
Perhaps as equally revealing is how much music isn't recorded well. This is one discovery as I slowly work my way up the headphone hierarchy- transparency.

True story. I didn't realize it either until I started on this hobby.

I was kinda shocked when I found out some albums I used to listen very often in my teenage days were awfully recorded. Some of them were simply unlistenable.

Jun 10, 2013 at 12:43 PM Post #10,896 of 22,116
I run mine thru a Fiio E10 and that is nice to my ears. I have a Nuforce Udac 2 also and it does not deliver the same sound at all. What is good about the Fiio E10 is that it has a switch to add extra bass. Which is nice with some electro and rap music.

And I listen to FLAC or Spotify in high bitrate.

Jun 10, 2013 at 1:24 PM Post #10,897 of 22,116
Quote:
Would you say the HE400s are particularly revealing or is it common in this price range?

I particularly find them quite revealing... more revealing than HD650 and HD600. Can't say it's an uncommon thing in the price range, but I can't think of another headphone as detailed with the same quality and authority in the bass department. There's simply no competition for Ortho's bass.

Jun 10, 2013 at 1:51 PM Post #10,898 of 22,116
I particularly find them quite revealing... more revealing than HD650 and HD600. Can't say it's an uncommon thing in the price range, but I can't think of another headphone as detailed with the same quality and authority in the bass department. There's simply no competition for Ortho's bass.

Yea I also felt they were pretty revealing. I just hadn't heard many other options around the cost. Do closed headphones typically color the sound a little more and basically hide imperfections in recordings? I would imagine open might be more unforgiving I could be way off though

Jun 10, 2013 at 2:03 PM Post #10,899 of 22,116
Quote:
Yea I also felt they were pretty revealing. I just hadn't heard many other options around the cost. Do closed headphones typically color the sound a little more and basically hide imperfections in recordings? I would imagine open might be more unforgiving I could be way off though

Nah, it's just that HE400's elevated upper treble brings out the worst in poorly done recordings. You could find open headphones with much softer treble that are much less revealing, or closed headphones also with elevated upper end that reveal too much.

There is ofc also the aspect of resolution, where planars may have an edge.

Jun 10, 2013 at 2:07 PM Post #10,900 of 22,116
Nah, it's just that HE400's elevated upper treble brings out the worst in poorly done recordings. You could find open headphones with much softer treble that are much less revealing, or closed headphones also with elevated upper end that reveal too much.

There is ofc also the aspect of resolution, where planars may have an edge.

Yea true good to know thanks. I've unfortunately still sold my 400s for some closed headphones. But I need to be careful still. Are the ultrasone 900/750 like that? Ive heard they can be bright, can anyone compare either of those to the 400s as far as peircing treble? Im sensitive to it the he400s were way too much

Jun 10, 2013 at 2:19 PM Post #10,901 of 22,116
Quote:
Yea true good to know thanks. I've unfortunately still sold my 400s for some closed headphones. But I need to be careful still. Are the ultrasone 900/750 like that? Ive heard they can be bright, can anyone compare either of those to the 400s as far as peircing treble? Im sensitive to it the he400s were way too much

I've seen countless reviews claiming that the treble on the 900 and 750 is very metallic and fatiguing as well.

Jun 11, 2013 at 3:13 AM Post #10,903 of 22,116
Has anybody experience with HE-400 custom cables like BTG, plussound, double helix, and toxic? Does the sound change/benefit from custom cables at all?

Jun 11, 2013 at 7:30 AM Post #10,905 of 22,116
If you are looking to tame the tizzy treble, the custom cable is not the place to do it. Pad changes and EQ are much more effective and less expensive. But if you're looking for a custom length, nice aesthetics and better quality, then custom cables are very nice. 
size]

Users who are viewing this thread

Back