**Hifiman HE-400 Impressions and Discussion Thread**
Apr 2, 2013 at 9:44 PM Post #9,288 of 22,116
Quote:
I'm not a believer so it can't work :frowning2: No spells or enchantments are going to remove that lump of cartilage. I'm just wondering if that lump of cartilage is being pushed outward by wax build up.

that has to be a lot wax
blink.gif

Apr 2, 2013 at 10:00 PM Post #9,289 of 22,116
Quote:
My first reaction when receiving the HE400 after owning the Mad Dogs were how similar they are, keep in mind I had the pleather on (wasn't sure how to take out the pads at the time).  I still give the Mad Dogs the edge on vocals though and more forward mids other than that I give it to the HE400 on everything else including the treble.  The Mad dog was a goner for me when I felt that strong vacuum feeling which I only experienced that once with one other headphone, the k550.  Other short coming were lack of air, slightly darker?, and they were ugly haha.  I didn't think I would be bother by an ugly headphone, but it is kind of ugly.  It was a breathe of fresh air when I opened up the box on the HE400 as I though it looked good. I was shock with the color of the HE400 as the color of pics I have seen is so inaccurate, much deeper blue.

Yeah that's pretty much everything. HE-400 does look leagues better, even on the head. Still only wish the HE-400 weren't so fatiguing. I honestly think, despite the vocal issues, these headphones would be perfect with less prevalent treble. Mad Dog-like treble would be better actually, IMO. Anyone know what a good EQing program is? The Xonar DG EQ doesn't work too well as it goes from 2k/4k/8k/16k rather than giving me specifics.

Now all I have to demo is the Annies though I don't think I'd like them if they had even less bass than the Mad Dogs..

Apr 2, 2013 at 10:09 PM Post #9,291 of 22,116
Maybe try listening to the HE400 at a lower level to help with the treble?  I started to listen to the HE400 at a lower level today and I find it to be fine now.  I thought the bass of the MD was good, but could do a little bit more impact.  I've thought about the Annie also, but in the end opted for the HE400. 

Apr 2, 2013 at 10:20 PM Post #9,292 of 22,116
Maybe try listening to the HE400 at a lower level to help with the treble?  I started to listen to the HE400 at a lower level today and I find it to be fine now.  I thought the bass of the MD was good, but could do a little bit more impact.  I've thought about the Annie also, but in the end opted for the HE400. 

A couple of tics down on a EQ will kinda fix it.

Apr 2, 2013 at 10:21 PM Post #9,293 of 22,116
Quote:
And I barely have any wax in the outer ear, it's always very clean. So I think the bend is just abnormally high. 
Unfortunately when making molds for cIEMs the mold has to go past the second bend of the ear canal, which is literally impossible in my case.

Go to a doctor a get them to pull out the earwax that's stored deep within the ear canal. 

I went to an ENT last year and he pulled out a huge tube of earwax from both my ears, which I never knew was there.

Apr 2, 2013 at 10:21 PM Post #9,294 of 22,116
Quote:

Yeah that's pretty much everything. HE-400 does look leagues better, even on the head. Still only wish the HE-400 weren't so fatiguing. I honestly think, despite the vocal issues, these headphones would be perfect with less prevalent treble. Mad Dog-like treble would be better actually, IMO. Anyone know what a good EQing program is? The Xonar DG EQ doesn't work too well as it goes from 2k/4k/8k/16k rather than giving me specifics.

Now all I have to demo is the Annies though I don't think I'd like them if they had even less bass than the Mad Dogs..

I love the sound of the He-400, but as you've said, the treble spike is a little fatiguing.  I have a pair of He-500's on the way, I may end up selling the He-400's if the later sounds better to me.

Apr 2, 2013 at 10:25 PM Post #9,295 of 22,116
Quote:
Go to a doctor a get them to pull out the earwax that's stored deep within the ear canal. 

I went to an ENT last year and he pulled out a huge tube of earwax from both my ears, which I never knew was there.

Haha, that sounds like fun. 
biggrin.gif
  Did you notice any hearing changes afterwards? Or did your ear feel differently?

Apr 2, 2013 at 10:34 PM Post #9,296 of 22,116
Quote:

How did they pull out the huge tube of earwax from your ear?  Man, that sounds so cool, did it make you hear better?

Apr 2, 2013 at 10:36 PM Post #9,297 of 22,116
Quote:

Haha, that sounds like fun. 
biggrin.gif
  Did you notice any hearing changes afterwards? Or did your ear feel differently?

Yeah, I guess my hearing became more sensitive. I think the small amount of earwax that comes out of your ear is merely the tip of the iceberg. 

Although, I guess it could help with a dampening effect to reduce damage to your ears lol.

Apr 2, 2013 at 10:40 PM Post #9,298 of 22,116
Quote:
How did they pull out the huge tube of earwax from your ear?  Man, that sounds so cool, did it make you hear better?

They use a a long tool with a hook at the end. It's really not a pleasant experience - it caused me a moderate amount of pain/discomfort.

It's definitely worth doing once you see what comes out of your ear.

Apr 2, 2013 at 10:41 PM Post #9,299 of 22,116
Quote:
I love the sound of the He-400, but as you've said, the treble spike a little fatiguing.  I have a pair of He-500's on the way, I may end up selling the He-400's if the later sounds better to me.

I'm sure you'll find the HE 500's better. I found the treble spike too annoying with the HE 400's and bought a pair of HE 500's, which do everything well. They sound far more refined to my ears too.

Apr 2, 2013 at 11:41 PM Post #9,300 of 22,116
It still surprises me the level of detail the HE-400 has, before I sold my Ortofon e-Q5 I compared the 2 and the HE-400 had as much detail as the e-Q5 which is a very detailed IEM and one of the best under $500 imo.  That was one of my main concerns before I bought these was detail and clarity and the HE-400 has plenty of both and along with the soundstage, imaging and separation I can't get enough of these HP's and I'm so glad I finally switched from IEM's.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back