**Hifiman HE-400 Impressions and Discussion Thread**
Apr 2, 2013 at 3:45 PM Post #9,271 of 22,116
Is tinnitus something you hear all the time or more when you are in a quiet surrounding?  Yeah the He400 does leak well, but more of a quiet whisper than anything.  Still can hear every word and instrument. Heck I thought it's leaking sound is clear enough to sound good.

Apr 2, 2013 at 4:38 PM Post #9,272 of 22,116
Quote:
Is tinnitus something you hear all the time or more when you are in a quiet surrounding?  Yeah the He400 does leak well, but more of a quiet whisper than anything.  Still can hear every word and instrument. Heck I thought it's leaking sound is clear enough to sound good.

Technically all the time, but for most people it's more prevalent when it's quiet around you. Some people have stories where it's unbearably loud, even when the surroundings are loud around them (I'd assume some war veterans and the likes where they're exposed to 110dB+ semi-frequently).

I for one am 17 but can only hear up to ~12khz now :). My tinnitus isn't too bad right now though.

Apr 2, 2013 at 4:41 PM Post #9,273 of 22,116
Quote:

Technically all the time, but for most people it's more prevalent when it's quiet around you. Some people have stories where it's unbearably loud, even when the surroundings are loud around them (I'd assume some war veterans and the likes where they're exposed to 110dB+ semi-frequently).

I for one am 17 but can only hear up to ~12khz now :). My tinnitus isn't too bad right now though.

That's terrible man. What did you do during your teenage years that wrecked your hearing?

I'm 21 and could hear up to 19.5kHz fine. Tinnitus does come and go, but it typically is symptomatic of my lifestyle rather than damage to my hearing (e.g. if I exhaust myself one day AND skipped two meals, I could get episodic tinnitus that lasts 2 minutes).

Apr 2, 2013 at 4:45 PM Post #9,274 of 22,116
Quote:
That's terrible man. What did you do during your teenage years that wrecked your hearing?

I'm 21 and could hear up to 19.5kHz fine. Tinnitus does come and go, but it typically is symptomatic of my lifestyle rather than damage to my hearing (e.g. if I exhaust myself one day AND skipped two meals, I could get episodic tinnitus that lasts 2 minutes).

The 8th grade melodramatic era happened. Blasting $25 Koss In-Ears to Rap / R&B. Hoping stem cell research will come along within a few years so it won't be like this for life. For one, I miss hearing the ridiculously annoying buzzing of mosquitoes.

Apr 2, 2013 at 4:53 PM Post #9,275 of 22,116
Quote:

What, food influences hearing/tinnitus? Never knew. I always get tinnitus after a concert or a long night out. But it goes away though.

Apr 2, 2013 at 5:05 PM Post #9,276 of 22,116
Quote:
What, food influences hearing/tinnitus? Never knew. I always get tinnitus after a concert or a long night out. But it goes away though.

Not food persay, skipping meals means low blood sugar, which produces a plethora of temporary symptoms such as light-headedness, fatigue, tinnitus, sleepiness.

Apr 2, 2013 at 5:42 PM Post #9,279 of 22,116
Quote:

I would get tinnitus after shows as well, except after a particular show the tinnitus never went away. My physiology likely made me more susceptible as I know many folks who have abused their ears more than I have and are asymptomatic. Now I have to accept my condition for what it is or face severe panic attacks as I have in the past. 

Edit: Sorry for derailing the thread

Apr 2, 2013 at 7:34 PM Post #9,280 of 22,116
A friend of mine deals with tinnitus but luckily I've never has that problem and on the hearing that really has to be very annoying but hopefully you get that fixed in later years as you said the technology will be much better.  

I listen to my IEM's and HP's quite loud and I know its not good for my hearing at all but some how I can still hear up to 20kHz and down to almost 10Hz and since I listen to EDM mainly its pretty much a must to have good hearing to be able to hear everything.

On your hearing loss one of those cochlear ear implants might help you to be able to hear better.  I don't know if you could use IEM's but with headphones and hearing in general I would think would be much better for you but I don't know what they cost.

Apr 2, 2013 at 7:59 PM Post #9,281 of 22,116
Quote:
Not food persay, skipping meals means low blood sugar, which produces a plethora of temporary symptoms such as light-headedness, fatigue, tinnitus, sleepiness.

Since you're a pre-med and all you might know more about this than most. It's about my ear canal.

The second bend in my ear canal seems extreme, it actually blocks the rest of my ear canal making it unable for me to insert IEMs in deeply. I do hear fine though. Could this have anything to do with an earwax build up?

Apr 2, 2013 at 8:35 PM Post #9,283 of 22,116
I just got the HE-400s and as of now it seems like the HE-400s are better but the Mad Dogs are growing into me.. The only thing I hate so far about the HE-400s is the treble. Seems more detailed though and the sound stage is better, Mad Dogs seem more accurate bass-wise and the mids are more forward. Expectations were high for the Mad Dogs mid-wise I guess but still my ES3X are better.. apples to oranges. Mad Dog's comfort is meh. Leather still heats up and there's that closed vacuum feeling again. First impressions.

Apr 2, 2013 at 9:32 PM Post #9,285 of 22,116
Quote:
I just got the HE-400s and as of now it seems like the HE-400s are better but the Mad Dogs are growing into me.. The only thing I hate so far about the HE-400s is the treble. Seems more detailed though and the sound stage is better, Mad Dogs seem more accurate bass-wise and the mids are more forward. Expectations were high for the Mad Dogs mid-wise I guess but still my ES3X are better.. apples to oranges. Mad Dog's comfort is meh. Leather still heats up and there's that closed vacuum feeling again. First impressions.

My first reaction when receiving the HE400 after owning the Mad Dogs were how similar they are, keep in mind I had the pleather on (wasn't sure how to take out the pads at the time).  I still give the Mad Dogs the edge on vocals though and more forward mids other than that I give it to the HE400 on everything else including the treble.  The Mad dog was a goner for me when I felt that strong vacuum feeling which I only experienced that once with one other headphone, the k550.  Other short coming were lack of air, slightly darker?, and they were ugly haha.  I didn't think I would be bother by an ugly headphone, but it is kind of ugly.  It was a breathe of fresh air when I opened up the box on the HE400 as I though it looked good. I was shock with the color of the HE400 as the color of pics I have seen is so inaccurate, much deeper blue.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back