**Hifiman HE-400 Impressions and Discussion Thread**
Feb 18, 2013 at 11:09 PM Post #7,546 of 22,116
I noticed the rating as well, which is a major reason why I purchased them in the first place.

@bareyb - Amazon has a 30 day return policy, and free 2 day shipping (for amazon prime members which I am) so it is very nice service...I used Amazon to buy them. Since I am a college student and work it's hard to actually sit down and enjoy the 400's the way I want. Another problem is my roommate is in the room quite often...and with the open backs it's a bit disrespectful to have my music playing loud. I realized I haven't given them the justice they deserve but as the 30 day deadline draws near I haven't been convinced...I'll feel much more comfortable investing in higher quality phones for the time I can enjoy sufficient "me" time. Your mini review is appreciated though 
smily_headphones1.gif

Feb 18, 2013 at 11:13 PM Post #7,547 of 22,116
Quote:
I'm not sure if this was posted before or not, but has anybody noticed the perfect 5 out of 5 rating the HE-400 has at amazon? For 24 ratings straight, I've rarely, if ever, seen such a perfect score for a headphone on Amazon.

You can imagine the average customer on Amazon probably doesn't hang out at Headphone forums looking for the latest and greatest fix for their addiction. 
wink.gif

For these folks the sound quality of the HE400 combined with the low price is probably a level of magnitude higher than anything most of them have experienced through their iPod ear buds. I'll go out on a limb and say the HE400 is the best bang for the buck under $500.00 and I think that's the reason so many folks are so enamoured of them. You get a LOT for the money. They aren't that far off from the HE500 which costs 300 bucks more and won't work without a fairly powerful amp. For many folks, it's the best they are going to do without spending considerably more. 

Feb 19, 2013 at 12:12 AM Post #7,548 of 22,116
Quote:

I've EQed a couple of headphones and I don't understand how any audiophile can think it's a lossless process. The sound quality always goes down whenever I EQ anything, and it's pretty clear to me. 

Velour pads increase the treble versus the pleathers, btw. Unless my ears are wrong, but that's what I hear. 

Show me proof that EQ degrades sound quality, especially such a non-intrusive one as a rolloff at one extreme of the frequency.

Feb 19, 2013 at 12:31 AM Post #7,550 of 22,116
Quote:
I do not have physical proof. It's my ears and countless other user testimonies. 

EQ typically doesn't impact sound quality if you always EQ down (so never have anything over the 0 dB mark) and do gradual EQ curves, nothing with huge added peaks or dips.

Feb 19, 2013 at 12:35 AM Post #7,551 of 22,116
Quote:
I do not have physical proof. It's my ears and countless other user testimonies. 

I used to think that was the case until I started EQ'ing more smartly.

Admittedly I hardly ever try to mess with EQ when dealing with mid-range and especially upper mid-range, because I tend to find it never to replicate the midrange of other desired headphones I've heard-- it's very hard.  Gentle rolloffs or boosts at the lowest and highest ends I've never had a problem with, however, since not much timbre information lies within those areas of the fr.

Feb 19, 2013 at 1:26 AM Post #7,552 of 22,116
I got my HE-400s in the mail today and I'm enjoying them quite a bit. My laptop drives them well enough for the time being but I've spent the last hour or so looking at amp solutions. I'm really lusting over the new Schiit Asgard 2 but, realistically, the Magni would probably suit my needs. I'll hold off until the impressions of the Asgard 2 start coming in but I'm probably going to save the cash and get the little guy.

I'm interested in hearing how these change, if at all, over the first load of hours. They're a lot of fun to listen to so that time is sure to pass rather quickly. I'll just have to see how long I can hold off before pulling the trigger on an amp. I need to know what I'm missing out on!

Feb 19, 2013 at 1:51 AM Post #7,554 of 22,116
Quote:
I got my HE-400s in the mail today and I'm enjoying them quite a bit. My laptop drives them well enough for the time being but I've spent the last hour or so looking at amp solutions. I'm really lusting over the new Schiit Asgard 2 but, realistically, the Magni would probably suit my needs. I'll hold off until the impressions of the Asgard 2 start coming in but I'm probably going to save the cash and get the little guy.

I'm interested in hearing how these change, if at all, over the first load of hours. They're a lot of fun to listen to so that time is sure to pass rather quickly. I'll just have to see how long I can hold off before pulling the trigger on an amp. I need to know what I'm missing out on!

Mine run great out of a portable Amp that puts out 250 milliwatts. They are very efficient. The little Schiit Amp would be more than enough to drive them. As for burn-in I noticed they smoothed out at the high end a bit after only about 20 hours on them. From everything I read, they continue to improve up to 150 hours. 

Feb 19, 2013 at 1:52 AM Post #7,555 of 22,116
Just installed the pleather screen back to my Jergpads :)

now I have protection for the drivers. 

Feb 19, 2013 at 1:57 AM Post #7,556 of 22,116
Quote:

Heard the HE400 off a Magni yesterday and the results were spectacular.  Highly recommended 
size]

Feb 19, 2013 at 2:02 AM Post #7,557 of 22,116
Quote:

They don't change. At all. Your brain does get used to the sound and you might think it changes, however.

Feb 19, 2013 at 2:05 AM Post #7,558 of 22,116
Quote:

I've EQed a couple of headphones and I don't understand how any audiophile can think it's a lossless process. The sound quality always goes down whenever I EQ anything, and it's pretty clear to me. 

Velour pads increase the treble versus the pleathers, btw. Unless my ears are wrong, but that's what I hear. 

Quote:

Show me proof that EQ degrades sound quality, especially such a non-intrusive one as a rolloff at one extreme of the frequency.

It's ok, hundreds of (blind) audiophiles agree..  lossy files sound better!

Feb 19, 2013 at 2:08 AM Post #7,559 of 22,116
I listened to the Hifiman's in a store last summer when I was headphone shopping.  Came away with the Grado RS-1's(used from another member here) which pretty much killed the Hifimans for rock music I was listening to.  Now I am streaming the new Atoms for Peace album and wishing I could be listening to the Hifiman's.  They had bass like I have never heard before in a headphone. I loved them for this type of music but would not trade the RS-1's for them.  I guess there is only one solution to this problem.... 

Feb 19, 2013 at 2:35 AM Post #7,560 of 22,116
Ok. How much do you typically EQ down the treble on these? 

Edit: Toying around with the EQ using some configurations I found in this thread. A dramatic improvement. In fact, I don't know how people listen to the velour HE-400s without removing the treble, because it is headache-inducing otherwise...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back