**Hifiman HE-400 Impressions and Discussion Thread**
Feb 4, 2013 at 10:35 AM Post #6,886 of 22,116
Quote:
^^ Nice hp stand!! Just goes to show that you can build one out of just about anything. 
size]

Yes :)

I did borrow the idea of copper tubes from another headfier. I forgot his name but he also built a stand for his asgard.

Feb 4, 2013 at 2:15 PM Post #6,890 of 22,116
I have three places where I use headphones: My home office, my dining room where I actually work, and my family room. I'm currently set for a DAC/amp in the latter (NFB-12), but would like something portable that I can schlep between the other two locations. I've seen the FiiO E17 recommended here; any other solutions that are good matches for the 400s? Power cords need not apply.

Thanks in advance!

Feb 4, 2013 at 2:51 PM Post #6,891 of 22,116
Quote:
I have three places where I use headphones: My home office, my dining room where I actually work, and my family room. I'm currently set for a DAC/amp in the latter (NFB-12), but would like something portable that I can schlep between the other two locations. I've seen the FiiO E17 recommended here; any other solutions that are good matches for the 400s? Power cords need not apply.

Thanks in advance!

Wouldn't the O2 do good? Portable, a bit more clumpsy, but better than most portables

Feb 4, 2013 at 3:00 PM Post #6,892 of 22,116
Hey guys~

I am down between 2 headphones, the Sennheiser HD650 and the HIFIMAN HE400, because the 650's are currently ~400$ on amazon I really dont know which one to get. I enjoy listening to rock and classical music. 

Feb 4, 2013 at 3:33 PM Post #6,893 of 22,116
I own both and both do classical and rock well. With the he400 you get more impact and visceral punch from the bass, but the hd650 will give you better mids. 

The he400 amp considerably easier, so this may sway your opinion depending on what you're amping with. The hd650 is incredibly light and comfy. They he400 is somewhat heavy and moderately comfortable. 

gL!!

Feb 4, 2013 at 3:54 PM Post #6,894 of 22,116
Quote:
During the past few discussions on the HE-400 paint options, I had a bit of a flashback to a few years back.  At the time, I was an AV123 speaker fanboy.  I had a pair of their X-LS speakers, which were designed by Danny Richie...

Always nice to come across a fellow traveler... I was a big AV123 fan and was very active on their forms (something like 3k posts or more, what was I doing with my time?).  Those are great looking X-LS.  I'm still using Ref .5s in my bedroom, Strata Minis for the main system, and I have a whole set of Rockets waiting for me to rebuild a HT someday...  Anyway, just wanted to compliment the paint job.

The grey color would look great on the HE-400s, but then they would just look like 500s for $300 less... and that just isn't fair!

Feb 4, 2013 at 4:18 PM Post #6,896 of 22,116
Quote:
The O2 requires a power adapter, doesn't it?

There is a compartment for 2 9v rechargeable batteries. If you want to have an internal ODAC, the PCB will take up the area the batteries occupy and will then require A/C power to work the amp.  So, if you'd want to have this combo fully portable, you'd have to have each component separate - something to consider.  The E17 reportedly does a great job for it's size and portability - plus it has build in EQ functionality.

Feb 4, 2013 at 4:20 PM Post #6,897 of 22,116
Always nice to come across a fellow traveler... I was a big AV123 fan and was very active on their forms (something like 3k posts or more, what was I doing with my time?).  Those are great looking X-LS.  I'm still using Ref .5s in my bedroom, Strata Minis for the main system, and I have a whole set of Rockets waiting for me to rebuild a HT someday...  Anyway, just wanted to compliment the paint job.

The grey color would look great on the HE-400s, but then they would just look like 500s for $300 less... and that just isn't fair!

Did AV123 make the Onix Ref 1's? I have a pair at that cabin and absolutely love them. By far the best sounding speaker I've ever heard.

Feb 4, 2013 at 5:28 PM Post #6,898 of 22,116
Quote:
Did AV123 make the Onix Ref 1's? I have a pair at that cabin and absolutely love them. By far the best sounding speaker I've ever heard.

They didn't manufacture them, but they were one of the U.S. distributors of them until the Rocket brand took off.  Then, the Onix brand slowly faded, and some of the members (about 3 or so) took on the sales / distribution with territories in the U.S.  At one time, I even owned the Onix CD player sold through AV123.  It was manufactured by Music Hall, had similar specs and a slightly different look for a few hundred less.

Ol' "Shifty" Shifter really messed the whole operation up by over-promising, under-delivering and possibly over-extending his credit from the other business partners.  It was almost a dream too good to be true.

Feb 4, 2013 at 5:46 PM Post #6,900 of 22,116
I can't wait to get my HE-400 this weekend! My first nice headphone aside from my sucky Astro A40

Users who are viewing this thread

Back