**Hifiman HE-400 Impressions and Discussion Thread**
Feb 3, 2013 at 7:58 AM Post #6,842 of 22,116
Quote:
It's what's inside that counts. Seriously HE6 is all gold tracings WITH a gold weave on top (dunno what that is for though). It's some serious bling yo.

Here's a macro photo of HE6 driver, I mean, that looks like a $1000+ headphone's driver, just as how HE400's driver looks about $400.

AWSOME! Great quality!

Feb 3, 2013 at 8:08 AM Post #6,843 of 22,116
Quote:
This is a really dumb question but just to clarify the J$ pads work on the 500's right? I'm thinking about selling my 400's and trying out the 500's. The treble spike is getting to me...

Two weeks after purchase for me and I haven't trouble with treble anymore. My brain and my tube Dac/amp did the job I think :wink:

Feb 3, 2013 at 8:40 AM Post #6,844 of 22,116
Quote:
It's what's inside that counts. Seriously HE6 is all gold tracings WITH a gold weave on top (dunno what that is for though). It's some serious bling yo.

Here's a macro photo of HE6 driver, I mean, that looks like a $1000+ headphone's driver, just as how HE400's driver looks about $400.

Yes the driver and the SQ associated with it is awesome no doubt. As an owner, I really love the sound of these.
I was only complaining about the internal build quality (shoddy internal wiring, parts.etc) and the quality control associated with it...
There are not many Hifiman owners who had their first one working flawlessly for months (me included) and its a shame you have to send it back and forth for repairs/exchange.
Good thing is their customer support which is in contrast excellent! 
Other than that, I do think these HP are worth their price but there are certain flaws that yet need ironing :) 

Feb 3, 2013 at 8:59 AM Post #6,845 of 22,116
Quote:

Yes the driver and the SQ associated with it is awesome no doubt. As an owner, I really love the sound of these.
I was only complaining about the internal build quality (shoddy internal wiring, parts.etc) and the quality control associated with it...
There are not many Hifiman owners who had their first one working flawlessly for months (me included) and its a shame you have to send it back and forth for repairs/exchange.
Other than that, I do think these HP are worth their price but there are certain flaws that yet need ironing :) 

Hand built.  I guess that the labor force might need periodic education on properly assembling high-end electronics.  If there are noted QC issues inside the HifiMAN headphones, imagine what might be happening within the high-end medical equipment that gets built and shipped to our countries.  Yikes.  
eek.gif

Feb 3, 2013 at 9:12 AM Post #6,846 of 22,116
Quote:

Yes, a darker sounding amp could work towards taking the edge of.  Also, something that I've found even a bit interesting is the varying degree of sound from DACs.  Whether you use an implementation of Wolfson, Burr-Brown, or others.  W and BB are mainly two that I've had recent experience with as well as the chip setup in the Modi.

I guess if we were to learn a bit more about the source, DAC and amp currently being utilized with the HE-400s, it might be more insightful.

I agree completely with ur last remark on ur post

Feb 3, 2013 at 9:15 AM Post #6,847 of 22,116
Quote:
quick question since i am going to be taking the plunge as soon as my tax refund comes in. i was going to go with the he-500, but since these are my first pair of headphones (quality ones) i figured i would take a step back. My question is, how do these hp's sound with Female vocals, like norah jones, diana krall, zero 7, i also listen to ambient, chill, trip hop, acoustic and soundtracks. Would these be good for me?

One simple answer on ur question: 100% yes, but..always but..
very_evil_smiley.gif
 get the right amp also..

Feb 3, 2013 at 9:21 AM Post #6,848 of 22,116
Quote:

Was the HE-6 ever on Mass Drop?  As to the HE-6 going up in price, my guess is that HifiMAN was posturing it a bit better along the likes of the Sennheiser HD-800, somewhere in between the Audeze LCD-2 & LCD-3.  Yet, in doing so, the HifiMAN HE-6 is still about $200 less than the Sennheiser HD-800 and about $700 less than the LCD-3.

I've never heard the LCD-2/3 nor the HD-800, so I can't comment to those.  With regards to the HE-6, I think Darryl had his pair at our local meet, but may have been selfish and wasn't sharing it out.  I mean I don't think there happened to be an amp in the room to do the HE-6 justice.

I can say one thing though, I don't see myself in the $1,000+ league, so what HifiMAN does with the HE-6 or any future model of that level in regards to pricing really won't get under my skin.

Wayne - you crack me up.  You know you were, and are still welcome to anything you desire.    The only amp there that still didn't do a great job was the Super 7.  You didn't miss anything.

Feb 3, 2013 at 9:26 AM Post #6,849 of 22,116
Quote:

Was the HE-6 ever on Mass Drop?  As to the HE-6 going up in price, my guess is that HifiMAN was posturing it a bit better along the likes of the Sennheiser HD-800, somewhere in between the Audeze LCD-2 & LCD-3.  Yet, in doing so, the HifiMAN HE-6 is still about $200 less than the Sennheiser HD-800 and about $700 less than the LCD-3.

I've never heard the LCD-2/3 nor the HD-800, so I can't comment to those.  With regards to the HE-6, I think Darryl had his pair at our local meet, but may have been selfish and wasn't sharing it out.  I mean I don't think there happened to be an amp in the room to do the HE-6 justice.

I can say one thing though, I don't see myself in the $1,000+ league, so what HifiMAN does with the HE-6 or any future model of that level in regards to pricing really won't get under my skin.

Here in the netherlands the hd800 is 999euro the he6 1299euro..i only wished the he6 would be 999 euro also 
wink.gif
 Maybe one day soon..i heard a rumor that dr. Fang is working on a challenger for the lcd3..so maybe the he6 price will go down a bit then just as the he500 did and the he300 when the he400 came out..let us keep our fingers crossed 
wink.gif

Feb 3, 2013 at 9:29 AM Post #6,850 of 22,116
Quote:

That particular HE6 is not mine, it is from someone I know. And AFAIK he did not need to replace anything, the HE6 was entirely perfect and issue-free. I'd like to think that Hifiman is gradually improving its QC consistency, as it stabilizes its permanent line of planar mag products.

Here in the netherlands the hd800 is 999euro the he6 1299euro..i only wished the he6 would be 999 euro also 
wink.gif
 Maybe one day soon..i heard a rumor that dr. Fang is working on a challenger for the lcd3..so maybe the he6 price will go down a bit then just as the he500 did and the he300 when the he400 came out..let us keep our fingers crossed 
wink.gif

HE6 is more than enough of a challenger to LCD3 IMO, in fact it exceeds LCD3 on good equipment I'm fairly sure.

Hifiman is likely working on revamping the old HE Jade project though, that would be a STAX challenger.

Feb 3, 2013 at 9:34 AM Post #6,851 of 22,116
Quote:
That particular HE6 is not mine, it is from someone I know. And AFAIK he did not need to replace anything, the HE6 was entirely perfect and issue-free. I'd like to think that Hifiman is gradually improving its QC consistency, as it stabilizes its permanent line of planar mag products.

HE6 is more than enough of a challenger to LCD3 IMO, in fact it exceeds LCD3 on good equipment I'm fairly sure.

Hifiman is likely working on revamping the old HE Jade project though, that would be a STAX challenger.

Stax killer and under 2000? Well that would be a world coup then
very_evil_smiley.gif

Feb 3, 2013 at 10:10 AM Post #6,852 of 22,116
Quote:
wink.gif
wink.gif

Wow.  That is $474 (US$$) more than we can get them for.  Plus, I just checked the shipping rates from here to the Netherlands.  It looks like $79 - $85 (US$$) for Express mail - approx. 3 to 6 days to get to you.  I'm not sure what kind of customs fees you'd be hit with.  However, you could save nearly about $400 (US$$) going that route, before any customs duties.

Feb 3, 2013 at 10:28 AM Post #6,854 of 22,116
Quote:

Wow.  That is $474 (US$$) more than we can get them for.  Plus, I just checked the shipping rates from here to the Netherlands.  It looks like $79 - $85 (US$$) for Express mail - approx. 3 to 6 days to get to you.  I'm not sure what kind of customs fees you'd be hit with.  However, you could save nearly about $400 (US$$) going that route, before any customs duties.

I bought myself some pair of tubes from the states a while back and our bloodhound customs asked around 30% extra for customs and handling costs over the nett price of the tubes incl postage.
mad.gif
 Only way to get a affordable one is to go on holiday to usa ( hopefully in august) take a cheap headphone with me from the netherlands switch it for the newly bought he6, make a digital copy of the invoice and mail to my hotmail adressfor warranty, delete that mail pic from my phone, clear sent history of my phone,  throw away box and original invoice, put a scratch on the phone so it looks like as used..so much work..i hate dutch customs!!! 
eek.gif
 But then..heaven!!
L3000.gif

Feb 3, 2013 at 10:33 AM Post #6,855 of 22,116
Quote:

With customs and VAT you can add +-30% to the overall value (incl. shipping)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back