**Hifiman HE-400 Impressions and Discussion Thread**
Jan 30, 2013 at 9:20 PM Post #6,646 of 22,116
Finally, I have finished reading the thread for the past 2 week! This thread is on full force currently.

From pads, a mention of my favorite personal game music (Xenogears), a little heated conversation between users and massdrop, it has been quite a read.

Anyway I had a custom cable made for me in my local area, although the main reason I ordered one was because the stock cables are too long for my use.

Jan 30, 2013 at 11:51 PM Post #6,648 of 22,116
I will be receiving my HE-400s today (gosh, its been a month almost from Amazon, but its not all their fault). Should I just plug these into my source and let them "burn" for some time and then listen or should I just start listening and anticipate a change in the tonality over time ? if this has been answered before, my apologies. In either case, look forward to hearing from all of you. Wayne, I will be getting the J$pads next week and should try them out then.

Jan 30, 2013 at 11:55 PM Post #6,649 of 22,116
So I started listening to my Jazz finally... sorry I was on an electronic kick!

Saxes sound damn good... Like really good. This track below is just so smooth and it really showcases the HE-400's strengths. 

Do yourself a favor and find a lossless version. 

Jan 30, 2013 at 11:56 PM Post #6,650 of 22,116
Quote:
I will be receiving my HE-400s today (gosh, its been a month almost from Amazon, but its not all their fault). Should I just plug these into my source and let them "burn" for some time and then listen or should I just start listening and anticipate a change in the tonality over time ? if this has been answered before, my apologies. In either case, look forward to hearing from all of you. Wayne, I will be getting the J$pads next week and should try them out then.

I'd honestly just start listening to them. It took me about a week to adjust my ears to them (treble spike) compared to my M50's. I don't really think the burn in tames them that much... I think its mostly placebo and in your head but I could be wrong. 

Do what you want to do. 
etysmile.gif

Jan 30, 2013 at 11:58 PM Post #6,651 of 22,116
Quote:

I don't know whether it was brain burn in or driver burn in, but I found the sound improved after about 60-80 hours. The HIFIMAN manual states that they require 150 hours of burn-in. I can't even explain how great the sound is to my ears right now. I don't really know all the head-fi lingo but I spend hours of my time rifling through different music to listen to, something I've never done before. I can't get anything done because of these headphones. 
atsmile.gif

Jan 31, 2013 at 1:06 AM Post #6,652 of 22,116
I'm wondering, what would be the perfect upgrade from the HE-400's, if there's any? I mean, a real upgrade. Something noticeable better.

I don't plan on buying another pair for a while, i'm very satisfied with them, but i might in the future.

Jan 31, 2013 at 1:30 AM Post #6,658 of 22,116
Quote:
After looking at the price, I think I'll just stick with the HE-400s....

On top of that you'd need an electrostatic amp to drive them, which costs no less than $1k.

Anyway, if i was to upgrade from the HE-400's in the future, i wouldn't mind spending a "few" good bucks on it.

Good thing Justin have them. Atleast i already have a place to buy it. Now i need the money
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back