**Hifiman HE-400 Impressions and Discussion Thread**
Jan 19, 2013 at 1:04 AM Post #5,611 of 22,116
Quote:
For anyone who purchased HE400 in January and is curious about when their unit was manufactured, just pop out one of the grills, there will be a sticker with a serial on each of the drivers, in the format of YMMDDXXXX (year-month-day-unit# from the same revision).

My HE400, for instance, are 2101105/06, so they are made last year Oct 11, and are the 5th and 6th drivers of the latest revision (the rev2.5 aka rev4 aka rev-clear-white-plastic).

Might be interesting to see how many latest revision HE400s have been made and distributed/sold.

Mine is 2102505/06. I bought it from Justin on Dec. 10.

Jan 19, 2013 at 3:02 AM Post #5,612 of 22,116
Mine were separate, in a little bag inside the Hifiman box. From what I understand they are very easy to put on. It'll take you a couple minutes the first time but the process is very straightforward. 

I find the easiest way is to use a credit card. Put the card between the pad and the headphone and use it to push the first 2 tabs in.

Jan 19, 2013 at 3:19 AM Post #5,613 of 22,116
I got my J$ pads today guys, not the bulk shipment, based on when I usually work and when Jeremy messages me I was in bed so I may have gotten back to him a little to late unfortunately. Anyways, the J$ pads are brilliant, comfy and the sound is fantastic, bass got a nice bump, the highs and space that the velours have didn't take a back seat either, yet sibilance is reduced. I'll let you guys know if he does get back to me but for now just talk to wje and assume the worst for me I guess lol. Oh well 
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 19, 2013 at 3:31 AM Post #5,614 of 22,116
Quote:
Mine were separate, in a little bag inside the Hifiman box. From what I understand they are very easy to put on. It'll take you a couple minutes the first time but the process is very straightforward. 

i think it's better this way.  the design of the packaging on the HE-400 causes the right (window side) earpad to get crushed in the middle.  

HeadAmp Stay updated on HeadAmp at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/HeadAmp https://twitter.com/HeadAmp https://www.instagram.com/headamp/ https://www.headamp.com/ sales@headamp.com
Jan 19, 2013 at 3:31 AM Post #5,615 of 22,116
I got my J$ pads today guys, not the bulk shipment, based on when I usually work and when Jeremy messages me I was in bed so I may have gotten back to him a little to late unfortunately. Anyways, the J$ pads are brilliant, comfy and the sound is fantastic, bass got a nice bump, the highs and space that the velours have didn't take a back seat either, yet sibilance is reduced. I'll let you guys know if he does get back to me but for now just talk to wje and assume the worst for me I guess lol. Oh well 
smily_headphones1.gif

I know! i love how they sound. Bass/mids/treble all have perfect weight to my ears. Did you put a nylon screen in or are you using nothing?

Jan 19, 2013 at 4:17 AM Post #5,616 of 22,116
Currently I'm using nothing but I might try and use the screen from my pleathers once I pick up some super glue.

Jan 19, 2013 at 4:56 AM Post #5,617 of 22,116
Quote:

Why is that?  Such a journey may last a lifetime and you'll still not be able to achieve the right sound because the perfect headphone might not be out there for you.  Plus, you'll spend / lose a fair amount of money with so much buying and selling going on.

It's only my opinion not the truth but I think a headphone is made to sound in a way . If I don't like this way ,the better option for me is to accept that this headphone is not for me and not to tweak with EQ .
redface.gif

Jan 19, 2013 at 6:46 AM Post #5,618 of 22,116
Quote:

It's only my opinion not the truth but I think a headphone is made to sound in a way . If I don't like this way ,the better option for me is to accept that this headphone is not for me and not to tweak with EQ .
redface.gif

Yes, I see.  But there are many variables involved.  If you finally get to the headphone that has the sound signature that you love, something else might pop up in the picture, such as the fit, which could be uncomfortable.  As to interfacing with an EQ, I'm a minimalist.  I seek out a headphone that "works" in a manner such as you do.  However, I take it from highly "like" to "love it" via just a few small adjustments.  That's all that's needed in my box.  

Enjoy!

Jan 19, 2013 at 7:29 AM Post #5,619 of 22,116
Quote:
Depends on the song usually 0 but treble -10, some bass heavy songs distort with no EQ at all, but usually im on 6 or 12 gain to achieve the volume i desire... so I think the gain is what's causing the distortion
Interesting.. we may have different definitions of loud though (im talking the loud deep high pressured subwoofer bass you'd get at a club) or maybe e17 with gain just causes massive distortion .. not sure though, to me these feel like headphones that are meant to be enjoyed at lower volumes/can't handle LOUD+bass

I can assure you that this is not the case. These headphones don't distort, I can turn the volume all the way up on my hud-mx1 and there is no distortion. These are more like little speakers in that way that headphones. Headphones such as the hd650 or dt770 pro do have audible distortion, but the he400 definitely is capable of putting out massive spls.

I think your problem lies in the amplification.

Jan 19, 2013 at 7:46 AM Post #5,620 of 22,116
Jan 19, 2013 at 7:50 AM Post #5,621 of 22,116
Quote:

Yes, I see.  But there are many variables involved.  If you finally get to the headphone that has the sound signature that you love, something else might pop up in the picture, such as the fit, which could be uncomfortable.  As to interfacing with an EQ, I'm a minimalist.  I seek out a headphone that "works" in a manner such as you do.  However, I take it from highly "like" to "love it" via just a few small adjustments.  That's all that's needed in my box.  

Enjoy!

Yeah I understand the point. From my experience , my brain and my ears does the job well themselves without EQ for minor adjustement. So , usually I wait few days and weeks before deciding if I keep the headphone or not. After time I know what I like and what I dislike and if what I like is more relative to my favorite Musical genre , I know I will use frequently the cans and keep it . I'm new in this business so my tastes and my headphones collection are not stabilized yet .
rolleyes.gif

For example , I purchased recently a koss DJ100. This can impressed me for guitars and vocals in Rock ,Blues .. I really loved it for the rare moment I listen to Rock and they complimented well my hfi-2400 . Then I bought my Sig pro and both DJ100 and HFI-2400 became unuseful . Sig pro matches so well to my tastes and needs that I rationnaly don't need another headphone.

Now I buy only headphones I'm curious to listen to and Would keep one or two cans which compliment my sig pro for specific genre or specific situation.

Then, i'm currently listen to the he-400. I really want to love it so I will persever .

Jan 19, 2013 at 9:35 AM Post #5,622 of 22,116
Currently I'm using nothing but I might try and use the screen from my pleathers once I pick up some super glue.

I don't know if that is a good choice. I think I might recess the mids just like how the stock pleathers are. Unless that is the sound you are looking for, then do it!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back