**Hifiman HE-400 Impressions and Discussion Thread**
Jan 18, 2013 at 6:22 PM Post #5,582 of 22,116
I'm so annoyed by the fact that the sound gets so much better when you "break" the seal. Much more bass impact. Did you guys tried anything to improve that?

It does have more bass, but I doubt it's better sound quality though.. You could look into jergs pad mod, though you won't get more bass

Jan 18, 2013 at 6:37 PM Post #5,583 of 22,116
Quote:
I'm so annoyed by the fact that the sound gets so much better when you "break" the seal. Much more bass impact. Did you guys tried anything to improve that?

I remember reading some pages back that if you only insert 3 tabs instead of the 4 on the pads it causes the same effect, increase in bass. Maybe my memory is wrong though.  

Jan 18, 2013 at 6:41 PM Post #5,585 of 22,116
I wish i could have the bass impact of the Beyers gel pads with the open sound of the velours. The bass with the gel pads is off the charts, more impact then my Lcd-2s, but really make vocals sound hollow and nasal.

Jan 18, 2013 at 6:45 PM Post #5,586 of 22,116
Quote:
I wish i could have the bass impact of the Beyers gel pads with the open sound of the velours. The bass with the gel pads is off the charts, more impact then my Lcd-2s, but really make vocals sound hollow and nasal.

If I had to guess, I'd say bass impact would be greater with velour than gel pads. I mean, when I break the seal here, bass impact is great. Getting more seal makes no sense, from this point of view.

Jan 18, 2013 at 6:48 PM Post #5,587 of 22,116
Bass impact is refined with my mod, relative to unmodded pleathers. by damping the pad internally and allowing it to breath (removal of the rubber flaps) the bass is boosted in clarity and tactility, so punch is more visceral now.

The absolute best bass you can get out of HE400 is still with J$ beyer pads though; the extra thickness and special foam and leather make the bass extremely tight and almost pistonic on the eardrums.

Jan 18, 2013 at 7:27 PM Post #5,589 of 22,116
Quote:
Nice to know jerg. Seems like you found a solution to this problem. I'm ordering a pair of pleathers in case I don't like the mod and definitely try that.

Just follow the guide step-by-step and you'll have yourself a kickin' pair of pads.

Jan 18, 2013 at 7:39 PM Post #5,590 of 22,116
Quote:

If I had to guess, I'd say bass impact would be greater with velour than gel pads. I mean, when I break the seal here, bass impact is great. Getting more seal makes no sense, from this point of view.

No, the gels add the best impact I have heard yet, but they sound terrible.  They get that vacuum seal similar to the Xb series and dance around on your head, it is almost unbearable at a higher volume.

The gels are horrible pads that mute the sound, but I love them on the D5ks.

Jan 18, 2013 at 7:48 PM Post #5,592 of 22,116
Quote:
when I ordered my pair from head-direct, I saw that they have Hifiman leather pads and that they come with my order instead of velours. Has anybody tried the leathers?

Everyone has tried the pleathers (they're not real leather btw), heck, the topic of the last 7 pages of discussion has been about them, mostly because of my mod 
L3000.gif

Jan 18, 2013 at 8:03 PM Post #5,593 of 22,116
Jerg's gonna bash me, but i came to the conclusion that i prefer the velours. There's something in the sound with the velour pads i enjoy more, can't explain exactly what.

I've probably done the mod wrong though.

Jan 18, 2013 at 8:22 PM Post #5,594 of 22,116
Quote:
Jerg's gonna bash me, but i came to the conclusion that i prefer the velours. There's something in the sound with the velour pads i enjoy more, can't explain exactly what.

I've probably done the mod wrong though.

Hey everyone has a different preference in tonality. I wanted both the weighty lower end of the pleathers and the detailed open upper end of the velours, with a midrange that blooms just the right amount without being either too overbearing or too withdrawn, and (when properly done 
wink.gif
) the jergpads deliver all of them in spades.

It wouldn't surprise me if some prefer a slightly faster (velours, J$'s) or slower more romantic (unmodded pleathers) tonal balance.

Jan 18, 2013 at 8:31 PM Post #5,595 of 22,116
Quote:
Hey everyone has a different preference in tonality. I wanted both the weighty lower end of the pleathers and the detailed open upper end of the velours, with a midrange that blooms just the right amount without being either too overbearing or too withdrawn, and (when properly done 
wink.gif
) the jergpads deliver all of them in spades.

It wouldn't surprise me if some prefer a slightly faster (velours, J$'s) or slower more romantic (unmodded pleathers) tonal balance.

Romantic. Intimate. Those are great words for unmodded pleathers. I actually prefer unmodded pleathers with my Little Dot MKIII tube amp, but velours with the E17. I wonder if that will be the same case when I get the Magni+Modi on Tuesday. I would certainly describe the general tube sound as romantic and intimate. Sometimes plodding, but always personal. I'm not great at describing sound lol.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back