**Hifiman HE-400 Impressions and Discussion Thread**
Jan 8, 2013 at 2:57 AM Post #4,456 of 22,116
Quote:
What hp's did you guys have right before HE-400?

Me?  Only the best were had before the HE-400s.  I've had the Beats, the Bose Quite Comfort series, the Soul headphones, and a few others with batteries in the ear cups that were designed to enhance the bass experience.  It's all been a great learning experience, though.

Jan 8, 2013 at 3:58 AM Post #4,459 of 22,116
Next obvious question: How much of an improvement can I expect from the M&M Schiit stack over my E11? Night and day, quite noticeable or what?

Jan 8, 2013 at 4:48 AM Post #4,461 of 22,116
Quote:

I keep reading about these velours like they are a godsend. Luckily, I ordered from Justin W so they were included for free, but my question is, why are they hyped so much? Obviously I'm a noob, but can pads really make that much of a difference or is this one of those finicky things?

Out of curiosity, since I'm thinking of actually getting a pair in a few days, how exactly do you order from Justin (and get free velour pads)? Sorry if it turns out to be a silly question...

Jan 8, 2013 at 4:53 AM Post #4,462 of 22,116
Out of curiosity, since I'm thinking of actually getting a pair in a few days, how exactly do you order from Justin (and get free velour pads)? Sorry if it turns out to be a silly question...

Right here buddy on his order page: http://www.headamp.com/order/index.htm You'll scroll down and see them. It's not the prettiest page but his customer service is great, the ordering part is pretty straight forward.

Jan 8, 2013 at 5:40 AM Post #4,466 of 22,116
I'm sorry man, can't help you there, maybe message or email Justin about it. He's in this thread frequently as well.

Jan 8, 2013 at 7:38 AM Post #4,467 of 22,116
I'm trying to remember what I had "right" before the he400, it's been a while. I believe that it was the d5k. I sold the d5k about a month later. 
biggrin.gif

Jan 8, 2013 at 7:42 AM Post #4,468 of 22,116
I guess I am the contrarian here. I just got thru (again) A/Bing both of them for over an hour.
With the velours - for me it adds bass and makes it stronger (but no necessaily cleaner) but takes away from the soundstage and clarity. I think.

The pleathers have a bit less bass impact but the overall sound just sounds a bit brighter and with more clarity and sounstage, so again, I tried to like'm with all the endorsements for them, but just like the pleathers better. YMMV.

I'm actually waiting on some Denon leather angled pads from Mark Lawton to see what they will do.

While your experience might be different, the angle pads don't necessarily improve the HE-400, but detract a bit from the capabilities. The angle pads work well for the Denon headphones.  But, as "preproman" has concluded in another thread, the regular Denon pads, without the additional amount of padding to increase the wedge, can work better on the HIfiMAN HE series of headphones.  Lawton Audio sells "like new" Denon pads for $35.00 a pair, plus shipping.

Hey - yeah, I've been following that thread too. When I get the Lawtons in, then I'll actually be trying the stock Denon's as they will be off my Denons to test. Maybe later If I like the stock Denon's, I might see how the Lawtons sound / feel. Never hurts to try.

EDIT: - FYI - I ordered the leather pads from Mark before I decided to buy the Hifimans - but now that I will have an extra set, wont hurt to try them all out, since I will be keeping my Denon's anyway.

Jan 8, 2013 at 8:14 AM Post #4,469 of 22,116
I had the Denon D2000's and the HE-400's out of the box beat the D2k's.. although, The D2k's are great in their own right.  So, I wouldn't say a "night and day" difference, rather a "dawn to afternoon" difference, but the difference was still there.  I fell in love with HE-400's gorgeous mids.

Curious about that HE-500 now... I'm spoiled on good sound.   I want the next best thing now.

Jan 8, 2013 at 8:19 AM Post #4,470 of 22,116
Quote:
I had the Denon D2000's and the HE-400's out of the box beat the D2k's.. although, The D2k's are great in their own right.  So, I wouldn't say a "night and day" difference, rather a "dawn to afternoon" difference, but the difference was still there.  I fell in love with HE-400's gorgeous mids.

Curious about that HE-500 now... I'm spoiled on good sound.   I want the next best thing now.

Be carfule you might fall down the never ending rabbit hole.  I know I did..
blink.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back