**Hifiman HE-400 Impressions and Discussion Thread**
Jan 6, 2013 at 3:04 AM Post #4,336 of 22,116
Hey all - received my 400's this week... and now understand why amp is necessary... Looking at an earlier recommendation for the Fiio E17.  Don't really need portability, but would be nice as would the multiple input types.  One question - can it charge and run at the same time? I would probably leave it plugged in full time.

Jan 6, 2013 at 3:07 AM Post #4,337 of 22,116
Quote:
So MLE: it's goodbye HE-400 for you?

How does K702 A65 compare to the Hifiman in terms of imaging?

I love how I can trail individual instruments and samples throughout a song. Don't think it's as do-able on HD650's iirc.

But if you need to, compare the $ for the amp required for the results of the a65 vs he400's in the review.

Jan 6, 2013 at 3:13 AM Post #4,338 of 22,116
Quote:
Yes, you want to slide two of the tabs under where they are supposed to go. The 3rd one, just push on the pad until the 3rd manages to go it. The last one demands a bit more force. Once you thi k you've got it, rotate the cups, slightly lifting the pad up to make sure all the tabs are in. You'll get the hang of it.

Thanks. As I said before, I'm 6'9" ... A giant. I've gone my whole life being afraid of accidentally breaking smaller things or people. :] So I did not want to force it at first.

Also the weight is one of my favorite things about this lol.

Jan 6, 2013 at 3:13 AM Post #4,339 of 22,116
Quote:
Hey all - received my 400's this week... and now understand why amp is necessary... Looking at an earlier recommendation for the Fiio E17.  Don't really need portability, but would be nice as would the multiple input types.  One question - can it charge and run at the same time? I would probably leave it plugged in full time.

Yes.

Jan 6, 2013 at 3:44 AM Post #4,340 of 22,116
Update, I waited all week and still don't have them, GAHHHH! 11 days. I really hope I'll be joining the party by Monday guys, that would be a real treat. Waiting to see what my next paycheck is so I can buy up an amp for these puppies, whenever the puppies actually arrive. Be out of a Fiio E11 for now. 

Justin, if you catch this, is shipping to Canada usually kind of crappy for your customers? I'm not surprised or anything, it's not the first time USPS and Canada Post took the liberty of not giving me any updates at all and making me wait a long time...

One last thing, is this going to be a pretty crazy upgrade from the Senn HD558s or what? The best headphones I've ever listened to are the HD800s and PS1000's briefly so I'm hoping this will fill a good void until next Christmas lmao. 

Jan 6, 2013 at 5:47 AM Post #4,341 of 22,116
^ I actually went from the HD 558 to the HE-400, but I can't say I spent much time comparing them. Was too busy with HE-400, and I sold the 558s soon afterwards.....I guess that speaks for itself :D. All I can say is that the HE-400's bass is on another level. But the same goes for the 558 on comfort. (not saying the HE-400 is uncomfortable. I can wear it for hours)

Jan 6, 2013 at 6:16 AM Post #4,342 of 22,116
I find the HD558 to be a pretty balanced can. I knew the bass wouldn't be huge when I got it. If the HE400s had the same balance I would be ok with that too, extra bass oomph is a bonus. I just want to hear these for myself already so I can have my own opinion. I figured my assumption of them blowing away the 558s was accurate but I had to ask because they aren't in my freaking hands yet... grrrrr.

Jan 6, 2013 at 8:56 AM Post #4,344 of 22,116
Quote:
Update, I waited all week and still don't have them, GAHHHH! 11 days. I really hope I'll be joining the party by Monday guys, that would be a real treat. Waiting to see what my next paycheck is so I can buy up an amp for these puppies, whenever the puppies actually arrive. Be out of a Fiio E11 for now. 

Justin, if you catch this, is shipping to Canada usually kind of crappy for your customers? I'm not surprised or anything, it's not the first time USPS and Canada Post took the liberty of not giving me any updates at all and making me wait a long time...

One last thing, is this going to be a pretty crazy upgrade from the Senn HD558s or what? The best headphones I've ever listened to are the HD800s and PS1000's briefly so I'm hoping this will fill a good void until next Christmas lmao. 

yes, it can be.  for international, the free shipping I offer is generally going to be First Class International (and i'm not aware of anyone else that will ship international for free).  For locations such as the UK, or Hong Kong, it's generally pretty fast, around a week.  Canada can be slow.  I do always offer to ship Priority/Express/FedEx for an additional charge if it's requested.  it's almost always declined, however.  My other First Class Intl shipments to Canada will show the sort facility in Sandston, VA is the last scan that will occur.  If they are going overseas, there will be 1 additional scan likely in Chicago.

HeadAmp Stay updated on HeadAmp at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/HeadAmp https://twitter.com/HeadAmp https://www.instagram.com/headamp/ https://www.headamp.com/ sales@headamp.com
Jan 6, 2013 at 9:00 AM Post #4,345 of 22,116
Shipping to Canada has always been a crapshoot from my experience. Sometimes it's been real quick like 3-4 days and other times 2 weeks.

Jan 6, 2013 at 3:03 PM Post #4,348 of 22,116
Day 3 impressions:  these things have so much genre bandwidth IMO.  I listen to rap, indie, electronic, rock, metal, pop, other random genres....it hasn't faltered with anything I've thrown at it really.

Jan 6, 2013 at 3:42 PM Post #4,349 of 22,116
Quote:
Day 3 impressions:  these things have so much genre bandwidth IMO.  I listen to rap, indie, electronic, rock, metal, pop, other random genres....it hasn't faltered with anything I've thrown at it really.

Start throwing some hard rock(s) at it! Lets see it it will last 
evil_smiley.gif

Srsly, I am happy you are liking your new HifiMAN :) Cause I love mine too :)

Jan 6, 2013 at 3:46 PM Post #4,350 of 22,116
That's excatly what I'm planning to do NOW :D

I will give it another shot. At the same time, my dad's gonna come back to its (my) beloved HE-4 and will decide which one he wishes to keep.
I unlocked his Cowon J3 to full volume (that was his main concern: he could not play loud enough even with +20dB on the M-Stage) so he can drive it loud enough now.

He's no audiophile but he's spot on when he describes the sound of both: one is dark, the other airy ^^

Users who are viewing this thread

Back