**Hifiman HE-400 Impressions and Discussion Thread**
Dec 30, 2012 at 5:21 PM Post #3,919 of 22,116
Quote:
Why would you want the M&M if you already have a nice set-up?

That's kind of a weird question on Head-Fi, isn't it? :] 99% of us here want things we don't need.

That being said, I'm likely to sell whichever I don't like. E17 for portable use, and then either the MKIII or the M&M for home use. Not many people replied to me on here about how it performs with the MKIII so I'm not sure if that's a "nice set-up" or not!

Dec 30, 2012 at 5:41 PM Post #3,920 of 22,116
Quote:
John 5 (a lot of bluegrass stuff),Blotted Science,Russian Circles,Lamb of God,Dark Water,Estatic Fear,Haggard....And other,other...

Lamb of God sounds great, I wasn't familiar with the other ones but I tried some John 5 and Darkwater, especially Darkwater sounded amazing! Thanks for giving me a new band to listen to
biggrin.gif
One of HE-400's great strenghts with metal is how good drums sound on them in my opinion.

These cans are not that picky with the source either it would seem, I use a Cambridge Audio Dacmagic Plus, but I've had them with an Audioengine D1 and that worked well too. If you have the ODAC+O2 combo I'm sure you're fine with those!

Dec 30, 2012 at 5:59 PM Post #3,922 of 22,116
[/quote]These cans are not that picky with the source either it would seem, I use a Cambridge Audio Dacmagic Plus, but I've had them with an Audioengine D1 and that worked well too. If you have the ODAC+O2 combo I'm sure you're fine with those![/quote]

I'm happy to hear that ]:wink:

Dec 30, 2012 at 6:33 PM Post #3,923 of 22,116
Quote:
^^^ those sure are some lint-y velour pads ya got there :D

Yup.  And, I even cleaned them up with some packing tape before I took the pictures.  The lint, for the most part, came about during the installation of the head band.  The cotton batting, is like a nice cotton layer blanket.  However, it does shed a bit until you get the material fully contained within the leather.  I'm just glad I don't have a dog in the house.

Dec 30, 2012 at 6:37 PM Post #3,924 of 22,116
Everyone should spot healing brush their earpads in photoshop before uploading headphone pics.  
biggrin.gif
  It is what I do, because for some reason the camera always picks up the tiniest things, even after they appear perfectly clean after you take some tape to them.

Dec 30, 2012 at 6:40 PM Post #3,925 of 22,116
BTW, what's with the uber-high resale prices on the HE-400 in the F/S forum?  I'm posting here, because I don't want to thread crap in a person's thread about their pricing.  However, $375 - $380 for a used pair is really nuts. I do realize shipping is included in those prices, but still ... The warranty doesn't transfer to a 2nd owner, so if the 2nd owner has troubles, then they will be out $75.00 - $85.00 to HifiMAN in order to get the headphones replaced.  I say just spend the $20.00 extra and get a new pair and have the confidence of a warranty behind you for a year.  Or, check out the returned HE-400s from headphone.com where they sell for about $339.00 and you still get the warranty.

confused.gif

i'm not selling my HE-400s.  Never.  However, if I were to ever sell them, I would say that $350.00 would be a more realistic price, with both types of pads included, as well as shipping costs.

OK, that's the last beef I'll have in 2012.  That is, unless something gets under my crawl tomorrow, which is December 31st, 2012.  
tongue_smile.gif

Dec 30, 2012 at 6:42 PM Post #3,926 of 22,116
Quote:
Everyone should spot healing brush their earpads in photoshop before uploading headphone pics.  
biggrin.gif
  It is what I do, because for some reason the camera always picks up the tiniest things, even after they appear perfectly clean after you take some tape to them.

Heck, next time I'll just put the pleathers on before taking the pics.  Problem solved.  
wink.gif

Dec 30, 2012 at 8:12 PM Post #3,928 of 22,116
Can't wait for my Schiit M&M stack to come. ATM i'm only using my computer as a source, no amp or anything. Will the change be "drastic"?

Dec 30, 2012 at 8:21 PM Post #3,930 of 22,116
Quote:
BTW, what's with the uber-high resale prices on the HE-400 in the F/S forum? 

Hell, what's with the uber-high resales at all on the HE-400?    These phones are starting to become a little polarizing with the users here. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back