**Hifiman HE-400 Impressions and Discussion Thread**
Dec 26, 2012 at 8:50 AM Post #3,647 of 22,116
^^ the maddogs are really impressive at the price point. With the dogpads they have more bass than with the Shure pads but are wonderfully balanced across the rest of the spectrum. I have no issue suggesting them whatsoever. 

@Marleybob...I'll verify that the he400 sounds very good with the e09k when I had that setup several months ago. The lyr I have now gives me maybe 5% more with them, but the e09 and a good/decent dac and your already at most of their potential. 

Dec 26, 2012 at 9:18 AM Post #3,648 of 22,116
I know someone posted a picture explaining how to put the velour pads on, does anyone have it right now? I'm assuming you just twist it in 

Dec 26, 2012 at 9:26 AM Post #3,649 of 22,116
Any suggestions on a portable or "transportable" amp for the mad dogs? My source will be ipod classic 7g playing lossless files. I have been considering C421, O2 and E11. Not too concerned about price. I emailed jdslabs and they recommended going with the O2. But the headfonia review has me confused.

Doesn't named to be really portable as it will just sit on my desk. But running off battery power seems like a great feature. I'm open to anything I'm not already considering.

Dec 26, 2012 at 9:33 AM Post #3,650 of 22,116
Quote:

@Marleybob...I'll verify that the he400 sounds very good with the e09k when I had that setup several months ago. The lyr I have now gives me maybe 5% more with them, but the e09 and a good/decent dac and your already at most of their potential. 

Yeah but that's with the e09, I'm using the e9. I recon there is some difference in sound quality between those two?

The sound just sounds loose on my e9. The bass has little definition, this holds true for the mids as well. 
I am using the 0 gain mode, this definitely changes the sound, not sure if its for better or worse. I'll try it when I get back home.

Anyway the hud-mx1 sounds so much better alone, than with the e9, so I'll just stick to this setup for now. 

I actually can't imagine to get more out of the HE-400 than I'm already getting. I'm quite surprised by the sound quality, it really blew me away.
And that for less than 600 usd in total(HE-400 + HUD-MX1)....

Dec 26, 2012 at 9:48 AM Post #3,651 of 22,116
^^ Low gain will always sound better as long as you can get enough volume from it IMO. There is no sound quality difference between the e9 and e09k...only a difference in functionality. 

I did not hear issues with bass or mids when I was on the e09k. If I was only driving the he400 and if I had it to do over again...I would likely take the e09 and an odac or e17 combo. I do appreciate the modest improvement with the lyr but for the price it's hard to justify. I'll keep the lyr because it makes a bigger difference with the maddogs. 

Dec 26, 2012 at 9:58 AM Post #3,652 of 22,116
Quote:
^^ Low gain will always sound better as long as you can get enough volume from it IMO. There is no sound quality difference between the e9 and e09k...only a difference in functionality. 

I did not hear issues with bass or mids when I was on the e09k. If I was only driving the he400 and if I had it to do over again...I would likely take the e09 and an odac or e17 combo. I do appreciate the modest improvement with the lyr but for the price it's hard to justify. I'll keep the lyr because it makes a bigger difference with the maddogs. 

Than it might just be sound preferences. Either that or my e9 really is faulty.

Anyway I'm happy, you're happy, it's all good :D

Dec 26, 2012 at 10:04 AM Post #3,653 of 22,116
Quote:
Than it might just be sound preferences. Either that or my e9 really is faulty.

Anyway I'm happy, you're happy, it's all good :D

Yes, it's all good brother. The e9/e09k is considered a fairly clean amp if not just a touch warm. So it will add a touch of bass which I happen to like. I didn't find that it made the bass loose at all. If I still had mine I'd let you borrow it to compare. 
biggrin.gif

Dec 26, 2012 at 11:37 AM Post #3,655 of 22,116
Quote:
that's the deal I got a few weeks ago. he ships quickly too I got mine the next day after I paid.

Plus, you get personal service from one of our own Head-Fi members.  Doesn't get any better than that.  Justin is a small business owner who caters specifically to our audio / headphone needs.  This is truly something that can't be "mass produced" or "big boxed" via a retailer like Best Buy.

Dec 26, 2012 at 11:46 AM Post #3,656 of 22,116
Just pulled the trigger on a pair of these, ordered from Headamp.  Emailed Justin as I had a few questions and he responded back promptly. I suspect these will arrive next day, and I am just brimming with anticipation.  
wink.gif

Hopefully these knock my Denon D2000's out the water; but if not, I'll be happy to own an open pair of headphones once again.  These two cans (or possibly, just the Hifimans--if they're that good!) will tide me over until I get into upgrading my DAC and amp down the road.

Dec 26, 2012 at 4:33 PM Post #3,657 of 22,116
Quote:

Plus, you get personal service from one of our own Head-Fi members.  Doesn't get any better than that.  Justin is a small business owner who caters specifically to our audio / headphone needs.  This is truly something that can't be "mass produced" or "big boxed" via a retailer like Best Buy.

Does buying them from Justin guarantee they're new, and is there a warranty?

Dec 26, 2012 at 4:53 PM Post #3,659 of 22,116
Quote:
Just pulled the trigger on a pair of these, ordered from Headamp.  Emailed Justin as I had a few questions and he responded back promptly. I suspect these will arrive next day, and I am just brimming with anticipation.  
wink.gif

Hopefully these knock my Denon D2000's out the water; but if not, I'll be happy to own an open pair of headphones once again.  These two cans (or possibly, just the Hifimans--if they're that good!) will tide me over until I get into upgrading my DAC and amp down the road.

I used to love my d2000's, but now that I own the He-400, the d2000 is darn near unlistenable to me. The he-400 just does everything better: it's fuller sounding, the bass is more controlled and a good deal deeper too (though the d2000 has more overall bass), and the sound-stage is much more immersive! Both headphones can strike some folks as bright, but to my ears, the d2000 sounds peaky, while the he-400 strikes me as more detailed and airy (though with bad recordings the he-400 can be a little peaky too.) In other words: rest assured, my friend, the he-400 is a big upgrade indeed!  Cheers.
beerchug.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back