**Hifiman HE-400 Impressions and Discussion Thread**
Dec 15, 2012 at 11:30 PM Post #3,151 of 22,116
I took some time today to go through all of my headphones to make absolute of what i would keep and what i will end up selling.

Listened to them for 4 hours.

FIRST
to leave would be the AKG. Bass is nice and punchy, treble is good, but the highs are too screechy for my ears (too harsh). Sound stage is nice, however they are not forward enough for me, the person singing seems to be more distant than compared to other headphones.
Main Reason for selling: Harsh Treble
Reason worth keeping: Looks nice

SECOND to leave would be the Sennheiser HD650. It's very detailed, but a little too smooth for my taste. When its playing low and mid vocals, it sounds forward enough. The sound is well rounded/full. However when things go mid high and high, there is a large gap of recessed treble. Music is all around my head, i prefer something more centralized.
Main Reason for selling: Too smooth, recessed highs, too forward at times, and a little full.
Reason worth keeping: Very great headphone to fall asleep to, very comfortable, detailed yet smooth

THIRD to leave will probably be my HE-400. It's overall quality is very much like the HE-500, however in some categories, the HE-500 just excelled better in(i finally understood why people said so). Both headphones are well centralized and forward. the HE-400 being a little tad darker and less neutral. Bass is more aggressive on the HE-400 than the HE-500, but when using the HE-500's silver cable, its harsh bass was improved significantly, however, the HE-500 was still better by a quarter mile. Treble on the HE-500 was better, no doubt about it. Separation & Transparency, the HE-500 wins also.
Main Reason for leaving: Too close to the HE-500 and loses in important categories
Reason Worth Keeping: IT IS FUNNER THAN THE HE-500. I don't know how to explain it, but sometimes i get random frequency jumps in both bass and treble on the HE-400 AND ITS FREAKING AWESOME! It's like a freaking ninja. WITH THE HE-500's SILVER CABLE, THE TREBLE IMPROVED, THE BASS SOUNDED LESS HARSH. (I've never been a believer when it came to better cables, now i am)

HE-500 > HE-400 > Sennheiser HD650 > AKG Q701
96% > 90% > 85% > 75%
HE-400's with silver cable = 93% (percentage shows how good it is in terms of grade, 90%+ = A Grade)

This is all MY OPINION while running from the NuForce Icon HDP w/ Sigma 11.
Tested on my friend's Asgard as well, still doesn't change my opinion of the headphones.
I bet each headphone's sound would improve if i test them with my Xonar Essence One Muses Edition.
I'm happy i found a near perfect headphone (HE-500) - High Hopes of finding the 100% one day. Might be the LCD-2 or LCD-3

Dec 16, 2012 at 12:05 AM Post #3,152 of 22,116
Quote:
I took some time today to go through all of my headphones to make absolute of what i would keep and what i will end up selling.
Listened to them for 4 hours.

I think you've made a good move.  I've been in a position where I've had a lot of "parallel" headphones cost-wise that were in a similar price range.  However, they did have different, and unique signatures.  But, in the end, you can only listen to one pair at a time and it might as well be a great one at that.

Meanwhile, here's a link to Matt's "Garage Sale:" http://app.audiogon.com/listings/over-ear-headphones-and-amps-various-cleaning-out-closet-2012-12-05-headphones-30327   
biggrin.gif

wink.gif

Dec 16, 2012 at 12:16 AM Post #3,153 of 22,116
I did something similar to that to buy the HD800. Then the AD2k got added and then the HE6 :p Now I'm saving up for an O2 so it never ends :p

Dec 16, 2012 at 12:24 AM Post #3,155 of 22,116
Sorry. I meant the Stax headphone. It does get confusing when multiple products are referred to under the same name.

Dec 16, 2012 at 12:26 AM Post #3,156 of 22,116
I think you've made a good move.  I've been in a position where I've had a lot of "parallel" headphones cost-wise that were in a similar price range.  However, they did have different, and unique signatures.  But, in the end, you can only listen to one pair at a time and it might as well be a great one at that.

Meanwhile, here's a link to Matt's "Garage Sale:" http://app.audiogon.com/listings/over-ear-headphones-and-amps-various-cleaning-out-closet-2012-12-05-headphones-30327   :D    :wink:

Thanks Wayne :D

There are three types of people who have audio interest.

1. Those who buy numerous headphones for that "different/unique signatures". The ones who likes to change up the game, experiment, very much like my sex life before marriage.
2. Those who buy headphones in high hopes of finding "The One" headphone. Once they find it, or something close to it, they will mainly use that one headphone.
3. Those who are too poor to buy any type of audio equipment.

I'm number two. I realized that i only prefer 1-2 headphones at a time, but listening will all be centralized over one type of sound, so if it's two headphones, they need to sound at least 90% the same.
That's why i chose the HE-500 and HE-400. Both are at least 90% alike in my opinion, just with the HE-500 being overall better in treble/mids/bass extension. HE-400 i decided to keep because they bring out the funner side of the HE-500. Notwithstanding the fact that they are insanely close one using the HE-500's silver cable (no joke, try it). So when i want to be a little bit like number one, i'll switch to the HE-400 for awhile. Pretty much like cheating with your wife but always coming back to her.

I don't think i'll ever be able to get the Audeze LCD-2. Doubt i'll pay $800-$1000 for a 2-3% gain (to my ears). If i did, i'd have to sell both of my headphones. (Broke College student)

- Tim

Dec 16, 2012 at 1:02 AM Post #3,158 of 22,116
Quote:
Why's Matt parting with the Lyr?

I'm not sure.  You'll have to ask Matt.   
eek.gif

** The posting of the link about Matt selling off all the gear was a joke.  I don't know who is actually selling all of that gear.  They claim the retail price of it all is $4,000, yet they're seeking $1,750 for it.  Personally, I think an individual would be better to take $1,750 and go out to buy one amp and one fine pair of headphones.  At this stage of my life, it's all about quality ... or, so I seem to think.  $4,000 worth of gear sounds impressive.  Yet, pulling out the Q701 and the Schiit Lyr, would be something that could be salvaged.  The rest, I'll pass on.  
wink.gif

Dec 16, 2012 at 1:08 AM Post #3,159 of 22,116
I'm not sure.  You'll have to ask Matt.   :eek:

** The posting of the link about Matt selling off all the gear was a joke.  I don't know who is actually selling all of that gear.  They claim the retail price of it all is $4,000, yet they're seeking $1,750 for it.  Personally, I think an individual would be better to take $1,750 and go out to buy one amp and one fine pair of headphones.  At this stage of my life, it's all about quality ... or, so I seem to think.  $4,000 worth of gear sounds impressive.  Yet, pulling out the Q701 and the Schiit Lyr, would be something that could be salvaged.  The rest, I'll pass on.  :wink:

Those also were the only two i found to be of any significance.

Dec 16, 2012 at 2:08 AM Post #3,160 of 22,116
Listened to some he400s at a meet today and hooked it up to my laptop with my uha-6s mkii, and the sibilance was unbearable, is there any mod that can take care of this?

What? o_o.....

I have yet to hear a song that has caused me sibilance problems with the HE-400's.

Maybe I'm just lucky with my songs.... lol.

Dec 16, 2012 at 2:10 AM Post #3,161 of 22,116
Quote:
What? o_o.....
I have yet to hear a song that has caused me sibilance problems with the HE-400's.
Maybe I'm just lucky with my songs.... lol.

Songs with emphasis in the frequency range between 12-15kHz will sound tizzy with HE400s. Maybe you don't have music that do that.

Dec 16, 2012 at 2:17 AM Post #3,163 of 22,116
Songs with emphasis in the frequency range between 12-15kHz will sound tizzy with HE400s. Maybe you don't have music that do that.

I'll keep that in mind, thanks.

I most likely don't though.

Dec 16, 2012 at 2:20 AM Post #3,164 of 22,116
Quote:
Listened to some he400s at a meet today and hooked it up to my laptop with my uha-6s mkii, and the sibilance was unbearable, is there any mod that can take care of this?

I believe you heard my HE-400s at the meet.  They are the Version 2 variety, and had a quick cable that I assembled this morning, so that I could get the headphones to the meet.  I had the black heavy felt discs that could be inserted into the pad, so a user could see if the sound changed a bit, or not.  Some members did comment that they preferred the HE-400s without the felt.  But, when I use them, I can't hear how the felt provides any type of veil towards choking the sound.  But, all of our ears are different.

I had a chance to hear my HE-400s, too, while using various sources, amps, etc.  At home, I drive them with a Yamaha integrated 2-channel amp.  I have some control over the frequency to "tune in" or "tune out" some of the frequencies in order to make every attempt to perfecting the sound.  However, on all the portable setups, my HE-400s didn't sound anywhere near as good as what I can listen to at home.  I had played in the arena of dedicated headphone amps, etc. in the past for portability.  But, I've realized I don't tend to use the HE-400s out of the home and the smaller gear would just sit on the shelves.

If you get a second chance, see if you can hear the headphone again, but using a different source and / or amp.  The issue might be what you're feeding it, and if there is an issue with the source, or the amp, it could be deterring you away from something that could be good. 
wink.gif

Dec 16, 2012 at 2:27 AM Post #3,165 of 22,116
I unfortunately do, lots of my electronic music has sounds in that frequency range and it can get quite fatiguing. But as I've continued listening to the headphone, I'm starting to adapt to its sound and appreciated its clarity, although I do find that many of my piano tracks sounds slightly veiled...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back