**Hifiman HE-400 Impressions and Discussion Thread**
Dec 4, 2012 at 1:25 AM Post #2,747 of 22,116
Quote:
Quick answer: you dont need the e09k at all, just get the line out cable for the Fiio e17.
I believe it's called the L7. Seems like you don't need the e09k, you can save big bucks here :)

I've seen in discussion from some of the posters on both HE-400 threads that this headphone benefits with more power.  That may be an oversimplification because there was a lot of technical talk behind that leaving me more confused than enlightened.  That's why I was questioning if a old NAD amp would be enough and secondly if its enough would it be an appropriate match.  So you would give the setup the thumbs up?  Also any other dap/amp options that I might consider, as I said I don't require walk-around portability, just decent transportability.  The 02/ODAC combination seemed very appealing, but it is not available on AMAZON.

Dec 4, 2012 at 1:27 AM Post #2,749 of 22,116
Quote:
From the PC's USB out -> HRT Music Streamer II asynchronous DAC (US$150)  -> NAD receiver

will be better sound quality - in my opinion - than anything mentioned above.

(Note:  The Music Streamer will not work from a smartphone or tablet.)

That seems a really nice option.  Problem being that using the NAD as my dedicated amp I'm confining myself to at home listening only.  Those old NAD recievers are anything, but portable.  Do you see the HRT DAC as being that much of a departure from the E17?

Dec 4, 2012 at 2:39 AM Post #2,750 of 22,116
Quote:
Quote:
From the PC's USB out -> HRT Music Streamer II asynchronous DAC (US$150)  -> NAD receiver

will be better sound quality - in my opinion - than anything mentioned above.

(Note:  The Music Streamer will not work from a smartphone or tablet.)

That seems a really nice option.  Problem being that using the NAD as my dedicated amp I'm confining myself to at home listening only.  Those old NAD recievers are anything, but portable.  Do you see the HRT DAC as being that much of a departure from the E17?

I have not heard the E17, so I cannot say with any assurance.
But I have found the reclocking that is done by the Music Streamer (or any other asynchronous USB DAC)  fixes the cold, hard sound of digital that has caused many people to buy vinyl and get turntables.
The NAD has a good reputation as an audiophile product, and if I understand correctly, is free.
The HE-400 does benefit from the power of something like a desktop stereo receiver.

But the Fiio products do represent good $ value, and good functionality.

Dec 4, 2012 at 4:17 AM Post #2,751 of 22,116
Just got my HE-400s friday, my first high quality headphones! I'm having so much trouble trying to find a <$200 DAC/AMP, though. It's very hard to find one at that price that's a combo and that would have enough power. The iBasso D7 looks pretty nice, but would it have enough power? I'm new to all this, so please help.
Btw, right now I'm using them with an Onkyo receiver, movies sound AMAZING with these! Also, wondering if it would be worth it to get a DAC/AMP or just keep using the Onkyo TX-SR706 with an optical cable.

Dec 4, 2012 at 7:18 AM Post #2,754 of 22,116
Quote:
Just got my HE-400s friday, my first high quality headphones! I'm having so much trouble trying to find a <$200 DAC/AMP, though. It's very hard to find one at that price that's a combo and that would have enough power. The iBasso D7 looks pretty nice, but would it have enough power? I'm new to all this, so please help.
Btw, right now I'm using them with an Onkyo receiver, movies sound AMAZING with these! Also, wondering if it would be worth it to get a DAC/AMP or just keep using the Onkyo TX-SR706 with an optical cable.

Because the he400 amps easily most amps will power it fine all the way down to the diminutive fiio e17. Of course other amps will work also and they may have a sonic signature that suits you better. I personally don't have any experience with vintage amps but have heard others reports good things about them. You might pm wje on the specific amps that he's used successfully. 

Regardless most amps sounds pretty darn good with this hp. I have found that the he400 will stretch a little and give you more with higher powered amps like the like and a nice combination of tubes. BUT...the advantage is modest, and is usually appreciated most by trained ears. 

So, the point is the he400 amps easy. That is the way it was designed and it certainly one of it's selling points. I wouldn't spend lot's of dollars looking for a huge improvement because it's just not there. Unless you have some other hard to drive hp's then it would be an expensive exercise with very modest gain. 

The he400 can be powered impressively by a fiio e17 which can be had for about $100 used here in mint condition, sports hardware EQ and is also good as a portable. 

Dec 4, 2012 at 10:40 AM Post #2,755 of 22,116
Just another reason to love the he-400:

Some headphones really load the treble with tons of extra energy. Take the Dt-1350 for example: those little portables are surprisingly good,  but c'mon Beyerdynamic! You've really gone overboard with the treble again. Sure, the Dt-1350 is detailed and vibrant, and I love hearing all the little details--brush strokes and all that jazz--so, Bravo! But wait one second, Buster! All the extra energy comes at a serious penalty or two: ear fatigue and artificiality. So don't congratulate yourself just yet.

If the 1350 is a four alarm fire (I'm exaggerating here of course), then the he-400 is a crackling camp fire where headphone enthusiasts can huddle on cold and starry nights. Seriously, though, all the 1350's  extra brightness seems so superfluous to me; it merely accentuates or highlights details that should realistically remain subtle. Now the he-400, on the other hand, presents all the details in an unobtrusive way. That's right, it accentuates almost nothing, and yet it omits no nuance. Somehow the he-400 lovingly imparts detail, and air, and an amazing sense of space without overloading the higher frequencies. I've owned the he-400 for nearly three months now, and every week or two, I discover another reason to appreciate these headphones anew.  Thank you, Mr Fang!  Job exceptionally well done.

Dec 4, 2012 at 12:37 PM Post #2,756 of 22,116
Quote:

I've already been through the same issue. If you are already watching movies on them, through your receiver, and you love the sound, save your money. Movies can have a very high dynamic range, and if your current setup is loud enough, it should be more than enough for music listening also. Also, the receiver is going to use higher quality DACs than a lot of headphone amp/DAC combos, which are somewhat more limited.

In my case, I went with an O2 amp because my major listening is with a computer. The sound quality is excellent, but the dedicated headphone amp was too weak for all listening conditions (anything with high dynamic range). The O2 is the only amp around the $200 dollar price point which I could find that put out enough power to drive just about anything.

If you are really wanting a DAC/Amp combo, I would spring for the ODAC ($285), with all less expensive options I've checked out a distant second. If it had to be cheaper, it would probably be something from Fiio, but in our case, their tendency for high output impedance is not ideal. Just remember that the ODAC, like most DAC/AMP combos, expects to connect from a USB or 3.5mm source.

Dec 4, 2012 at 12:38 PM Post #2,758 of 22,116
I'm laughing at Moon-Audio.

"$399 shipped in the US with additional Velour pads.

Thank You.

Drew Baird, P.E.
Moon Audio "

&

Dear ohsnaptimothy,

They come with Leather pads. Velours are an additional $10. Would you like to purchase?

- moon-audio

~^~ Tim

Dec 4, 2012 at 1:18 PM Post #2,759 of 22,116
Quote:
Quote:
But any HiFiMan retailer can offer a private discount if you email them and ask

Not true.  Getting away with it is another story.  I had offered 10% only to match what another dealer was offering (which was public knowledge on head-fi for at least 6 months), and someone posted here, and I was contacted by HiFiMAN within a few hours.  So now, I just offer free Next Day shipping and will test/burn-in the headphone to save a potential headache later.

It seems that me that posting it on this Forum makes it "Advertised" - even if the customer does it.

That's why I did not mention the name of any particular HiFiMan retailer who has given a private discount.

So, head-fiers - if you get a discount on a pair of HiFiMan headphones, don't mention the name of the retailer !

PS That testing is a nice service !

Dec 4, 2012 at 2:29 PM Post #2,760 of 22,116
^^ Point taken. I have been guilty of this thinking that I was helping the retailer and the buyer to make a connection, but it's only fair to think that the retailer may not wish to make good on sale prices that have expired. Fair enough...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back