**Hifiman HE-400 Impressions and Discussion Thread**
Oct 24, 2012 at 8:50 AM Post #1,336 of 22,116
Oct 24, 2012 at 9:29 AM Post #1,337 of 22,116
So has anyone been able to compare rev.2 with rev.3.5? Now that I've satisfied myself regarding the bass and mids, I'm wondering if the latest "fix" means these are back to being somewhat "dark" (in the same way people described rev.2) ... I understand there is a upper treble peak, which seems perfect because it won't affect that many sounds, just enough to add some air and dynamics without making them too bright overall. But that somewhat subdued upper midrange (could it be called the anti-Grado tuning?) seems like the magic touch on these, making them unfatiguing ... is this still the case with the latest tuning?

Also, what happens for people who buy them today for example, I assume they are getting the same model/tuning that people receive after returning rev.3?

Oct 24, 2012 at 9:42 AM Post #1,339 of 22,116
Other than driver by driver variation, I'm sure you have nothing to worry about.

Oct 24, 2012 at 9:48 AM Post #1,340 of 22,116
Does anyone here have multiple amps of varying levels of ability? I'm wondering at what point does the HE400 stop improving in chains. I've only tried the Mjolnir but going to try the D1 later which is a small step down from the Mjolnir

Oct 24, 2012 at 9:57 AM Post #1,341 of 22,116
With the he40, my progression went like this:

*e10
*e17
*Agard
*e09
*nfb5
*lyr

The he400 improved with all of these, all the way up the chain. The MJ seems like it might be somewhat overkill, unless it's something that you already own. 

Oct 24, 2012 at 10:45 AM Post #1,342 of 22,116
Quote:
With the he40, my progression went like this:

*e10
*e17
*Agard
*e09
*nfb5
*lyr

The he400 improved with all of these, all the way up the chain. The MJ seems like it might be somewhat overkill, unless it's something that you already own. 

+ HE-400 responds well to tubes change, lyr with GE tubes did not wow me...coming from e17, but with Telefunken tubes they are awesome

Oct 24, 2012 at 11:26 AM Post #1,344 of 22,116
Quote:
Does anyone here have multiple amps of varying levels of ability? I'm wondering at what point does the HE400 stop improving in chains. I've only tried the Mjolnir but going to try the D1 later which is a small step down from the Mjolnir

My experience:
O2: ok...passable, better than O2 + HD650, listenable, but lacks spirit.
E11: Ok...I guess...if you have nothing better.
Lyr: Excellent, handles different tubes with great effect.
Headroom Micro (gen1): Pretty good. Not my favorite, but good.
Marantz PM6004, excellent.  Just as good as lyr, maybe a little more detail and a little less attitude.

Still have to try: Marantz MM7025 right off the taps through HE-Adapter and VERY low volume :)  HE-400 is the only other can I trust to that much power, but it's low gain so it's controllable easily enough.

Oct 24, 2012 at 12:42 PM Post #1,346 of 22,116
Quote:
How long did it take for shipping confirmation / delivery?

I ordered mine on the 22nd and they haven't shipped yet. Obviously, waiting sucks.

For me when I had ordered it took 2-3 days to get information that they had been shipped but it's pretty quick once they are shipped.  I would bet with the whole recall they might be a little slower to getting stuff shipped out though.

Oct 24, 2012 at 1:00 PM Post #1,348 of 22,116
Quote:
They are much different then one another. The HE-400 has significant more bass and brighter highs then the Mad Dogs. The Mad Dogs are more to the neutral end of the spectrum with a tad bit of a V-shape. Both are very good. If you want detail and a closed HP Mad Dogs are the way to go, if you want bass impact and a really "fun" can then the HE-400 is the best choice.

Wow, that Mad Dog must be really good! I will be auditioning them this saturday so I'll let my ears decide.

I want to like the he-400, but a more neutral sound, with more detail is definitely my taste! Also: closed headphones are the bomb (for numerous practical reasons!).

Oct 24, 2012 at 1:17 PM Post #1,349 of 22,116
To the persons freaking out about the HD 650 / Hifiman decision.

I went Hifiman because I really wanted to take a chance on switching brands. That's pretty much it. Having owned Sennheisers, I know they are comfortable as heck, decent looking, and easy to listen to all day long. They wouldn't be easy to listen to all day if they weren't light, comfortable, and "laid-back" sounding. This is also why, if I wasn't used listening to music for hours at a time, I wouldn't necessarily recommend them. The politeness is not always an asset listening to say, metal at high volumes.

If you only listen to music in short spurts, say, to check out the new CD you bought, I would likely recommend switching to other brands which are more aggressive sounding, or brighter (depending on your fave genres anyway). Shorter bursts of listening make anyone more forgiving of a given sound of headphone. Its when you are listening for hours, moving in and out of different genres, that a "sound signature" becomes more apparent, as do any weaknesses. For example, the hi-end of my HD 595s is so noticeably absent at times, it is almost annoying. The bass can come across as a little thin, and I have to concentrate to enjoy it. Yet these same shortcomings are partly how I know I can stand to listen to them for hours.

Humans are naturally sensitive to mid-range frequencies, and get more "deaf" the farther you move into low or high frequency ranges. We are the same with light - we only perceive a limited spectrum, and experience "brightness" more acutely toward yellow tones. So in fact many speakers / headphones which don't overemphasize bass and treble relative to mids to some degree can seem pretty "thin" and boring.

When I get my hifimans I'll post a review. Until that time, I would have no problem recommending sennheiser if you want an awesome set of cans that you can listen to all day, and are guaranteed to treat many genres well.

Oct 24, 2012 at 1:29 PM Post #1,350 of 22,116
Quote:

I have tried them with the Burson HA-160(good), the O2(dry), the Matrix M-stage(warm and good) the Fiio E-09(meh), Darkvoice 337SE(very good), EF-5(great) , an old school Lafayette receiver(fantastic)and the Lyr(excellent , best to my ears). I would think they sound great off of the Mjolnir based on what I have read about it.

Quote:
Wow, that Mad Dog must be really good! I will be auditioning them this saturday so I'll let my ears decide.

I want to like the he-400, but a more neutral sound, with more detail is definitely my taste! Also: closed headphones are the bomb (for numerous practical reasons!).

They are very good.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back