**Hifiman HE-400 Impressions and Discussion Thread**
Aug 18, 2012 at 2:36 PM Post #601 of 22,116
Quote:
I owned the he400 and the dt990/600. The he400 blew the doors off the dt990. The only area that the dt990 beat the he400 was in comfort. The dt is just incredibly comfortable. Hey, they have some of the plushest pads in the business. 

Everything else SQ wise goes the HFM.

gL!!

I second that, but in my case the HE-400 also wins on comfort. the DT990 is just too small for my big head/ears. 

Aug 22, 2012 at 8:00 AM Post #602 of 22,116
Just received mine today
I was afraid, because of the heat in here (95F) , and because of their huge size (and weight)

BUT
the velour pads really makes it impossible to sweat, and the headband does a great job at comfort...

listening to music.. it sounds so... WOW

-i have no words-
complete eargasm

Aug 22, 2012 at 8:51 AM Post #605 of 22,116

[size=medium] Intrigued by the raves in this forum, I finally pulled the trigger and ordered the HE-400s.[/size]

[size=medium] Should be delivered to me within a few days.
gs1000.gif
[/size]

Aug 22, 2012 at 9:10 AM Post #606 of 22,116
Quote:
Just received mine today
I was afraid, because of the heat in here (95F) , and because of their huge size (and weight)

BUT
the velour pads really makes it impossible to sweat, and the headband does a great job at comfort...

listening to music.. it sounds so... WOW

-i have no words-
complete eargasm

Wow is a good word for it. I sat down for an hour session yesterday and it turned into a five hour session! LIstening to certain songs turned into listening to complete albums. I'm extremely impressed by what I've heard so far.

E17 here with stock pads. Maybe I'll try out the velours soon. I'm happy with the sound as is though.

Aug 22, 2012 at 11:22 AM Post #608 of 22,116
It's some of the best bass out there to my ears. It goes deep with texture and decent impact. I'm somewhat of a bass head and for an ortho this is very satisfying.

Aug 24, 2012 at 9:06 PM Post #609 of 22,116
Quote:
It's some of the best bass out there to my ears. It goes deep with texture and decent impact. I'm somewhat of a bass head and for an ortho this is very satisfying.

That sums it up for me too. I've heard better here and there, but it takes something pretty extreme to top the HE400. 

Aug 25, 2012 at 11:33 AM Post #610 of 22,116
Hello,

I'm joining the party, driving my new HE-400 for now via Little Dot MKIII (and a valab TDA 1543 nos DAC as source). 
The HE-400 beats my really nice DT990 pro in every aspect. Regarding comfort the HE is on par with the DT.
I'm absolutely amazed how naturally the HE-400 performs.

When my new DarkVoice 336SE arrives, I will post my further impressions. The Little Dot already does a very good job.

Bye!

Aug 27, 2012 at 5:37 PM Post #611 of 22,116
just took the plunge and bought a pair of HE-400's. new to head-fi as well (long time lurker). i had the HE-300 for a bit and really enjoyed them, but wanted to invest a little more. been reading all the comments on amps/dacs and even talk on running them from a stereo receiver. for my current speaker setup i have an older nakamichi re-2 receiver with a HRT MSII coming from my media hub. i was going to use this for now, as i gain more funds for a dedicated headphone amp/dac. have any of you had the experience of running the HE-400 through the headphone jack of a stereo receiver? i did read that newer AVR's have terrible headphone jacks, which lead some to use speaker taps. i was hoping my nakamichi wouldn't have this problem...i guess the only way to find out is to try it.

Aug 27, 2012 at 5:47 PM Post #612 of 22,116
Yeah, just give it a shot and listen to what you've got. WJE has had good success with older receivers. You may want to pm him if you are interested in purchasing something different. You can go a long way with the diminutive e17 and the he400. I'm listening right now through e09k and odac and it's a very nice setup. 

I also just got the audio gd nfb-6. This is a balanced setup and sounds really nice!! (if you can take the price). 

If you haven't bought the velours, order two pair quickly. 
wink_face.gif

Aug 27, 2012 at 11:01 PM Post #615 of 22,116
My Bifrost has landed and am listening to the HE400 through the Bifrost > Lyr @ 12:00 o'clock (after two large Rusty Nails (scotch + drambue)) - OMG does this sound good!! Must turn down the volume - but it sounds so darn good and I'm having soooooo much fun!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back