**Hifiman HE-400 Impressions and Discussion Thread**
Aug 16, 2012 at 4:09 PM Post #586 of 22,116
The pleather is what the he400 ships with. 
frown.gif
 I would order not one but two pair of velours and save on the shipping. 

gL!!

Aug 16, 2012 at 5:14 PM Post #588 of 22,116
The velours actually bring the he400 to a whole new level. Many have tried to velours and are now on the band wagon. In addition to better SQ across the spectrum, they are also more comfortable. 
biggrin.gif

Aug 16, 2012 at 7:22 PM Post #591 of 22,116
Aug 16, 2012 at 10:30 PM Post #592 of 22,116
Just got my base copper OCC Toxic cable in.  So far, so good.  Construction wise.. think of the Q cable with plastic sheathing versus cloth and a little stiffer but still very light and manageable; hardly noticeable in use.  The connections seem to go on better - smooth as silk where it seemed a little tougher with the Q.  Sound wise - they're pretty good but I need some time to compare.  When I got the Q, I was blown away by the improvement (over the stick cable) but now that I've been living with it for months, it's a good sign that the Toxic is business as usual.
I'll wait until my replacement Q comes in to compare. (Steve @ Q is awesome to deal with and is replacing my cable due to a cosmetic defect - doesn't affect the sound but for a $200+ cable, it bothered me)

Aug 16, 2012 at 11:18 PM Post #595 of 22,116
My initial impressions to these headphones weren't as good as I expected. I'm expecting that I will be overjoyed the first time I listen to them.
Maybe the primary reason for it is that I'm really tired that night, plus my ears are also exhausted due to the loud GR07 the whole afternoon. lol.

I've had the chance to listen to them the second time last night (too busy to listen to them every night on week days) and WOW, they are incredible!

They are so detailed especially the highs, I heard the cymbals like I never did before, they have body in them, but crisp and crystal clear. I don't know if it's a common thing in full-size headphones since this is my only one, but damn, I cannot stress enough how happy I am with them last night. They are so insanely transparent and well textured. The bass is tight (may be even tighter than the DT 1350!).

About my complain in the mids department, I think I'm comparing my DT 1350 to them a little bit too much. They just have different voicing but neither is wrong. Actually I think my beyer is the one that is over emphasizing the "aawwe" sound in electric guitars, the HE-400 is more flat and true. Once I accepted how they're voiced and stop insiting that they should sound close to the beyer, I understood how it really presents music and it is freakin' good! At first I admit I concluded that they don't or won't really do well in rock/metal or when a good distorted guitar tone is required, but nope, I was entirely wrong. I love how they do those things as they are so transparent and still has a sense of rawness in them. Maybe a little bit more refined compared to my DT 1350 but that doesn't make them less adequate to handle those types of genres. I listened to RATM and the guitars sounded really good. And The Faceless tracks really show how fast they are. There isn't really a song where they seem to hold back or have a hard time rendering. I throwed every complex song I have on them and they render it sooo effortlessly. Love them! I can't wait for the weekend to spend more time with them. :)

Thanks Matt, won't be so convinced to buy a $400 headphone (even if it's planar magenetic) if not because of your thread!

Aug 17, 2012 at 6:48 AM Post #596 of 22,116
Glad that you are happy. And welcome aboard. The only thing to stand in your way of pure listening pleasure with the he400 is velours and a little burn in!!

Enjoy...

Aug 17, 2012 at 3:07 PM Post #598 of 22,116
I owned the he400 and the dt990/600. The he400 blew the doors off the dt990. The only area that the dt990 beat the he400 was in comfort. The dt is just incredibly comfortable. Hey, they have some of the plushest pads in the business. 

Everything else SQ wise goes the HFM.

gL!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back